Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I was DH yesterday and the first run down the mountain my front fork made some funny thud like noises, so I stopped to check it out and noticed that when I compressed the fork it sounded as if something inside was rubbing or something like that. I lightly rode it to the bottom and when I got there I was showing this to someone else and then the whole fork seized up and was not compressing at all. I had managed to lockout a fork that doesnt lockout.:mad: Does anyone know what is causing this issue and how to remedy the situation? Thank you for any info. This is an 07' Manitou Travis Triple 203mm with intrinsic damping.

·
My Bike is Bigger
78 Posts
The cartridge is blown, I’ve done it to two of them. I assume you could send it back to Manitou and have them replace the cartridge. I never bothered because I gave up on the fork. Although, I never tried the freezer, but some how I doubt that works.

·
Registered
195 Posts
you may have blown the seal around the rebound shaft resulting in the dampening oil draining into the fork lower. because the fork is a cartridge design too much oil in the lower will lock it tight (oil does not compress). to check this remove the rebound adj. knob from the bottom of the right leg and turn in the rebound shaft until you can push it into the lower (like you would do to take it apart). there should only be 16cc. of 5w40 synthetic motor oil in the lower (a very small amount). if there is more than that which drains you have found your problem, if not keep pulling it apart until you find what is stuck. manitou is really good about sending the parts out to shops, i wouldn't bother sending the fork into them. this happened to a sherman i once owned and i had the parts in a couple of days.

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
my answer was a joke
ufishers answer is 99% probably right.
At least it is on my sherman, which locks out a regular basis when all the damper oil leaks down to the bottom when a washer gets skewed on side loading

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Best and Easiest fix:

take tire off front fork
remove brakes
remove bars, stem
take fork off bike
throw fork in Garbage
Buy a Marzochhi fork

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.