Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure of my bikes current weight (only have a bathroom scale which I don't trust). I currently weight 200 lbs. (working on that ;) ) However I would like to lighten my bike.....

Here's my build:

Frame: 2003 Specialized Epic Comp
Fork: 2004 Marzocchi MX Comp w/ETA 105mm
Headset: stock Cane Creek
Shift/Brake Levers: 2004 Deore XT dual control hydraulic
Brakes: 2004 Deore XT hydraulics
Handlebar: Race Face Air Alloy Low Riser
Stem: Thomson 130mm
Seatpost: Thomson Setback 367mm
Saddle: Selle Italia Trans Am
Front derrailleur: 2004 Deore XT
Rear derrailleur: 2004 Deore XT rapidrise
Chanks and BB: 2004 Deore XTs hollowtech II
Hubs: Deore XT centerlock
Rims: Mavic XC 717 Disc
Tubes: None (Eclipse Tubeless kit)
Tires: Continental Explorers 2.1
Pedals: Shimano 515

I have attached a pic of my bike, however it is a little old (it has Schwalbe black Sharks and tubes on the pics) I have also shortened the hydraulic brake lines since then.

I know that the fork is heavy, however it works great and I love the ETA (maybe I could get the new MY Marathon Race when it comes out), also the pedals could be swapped for EggBeaters and maybe the saddle....

I don't want an ultralight bike, but I would like it to be a little lighter, without lossing reliability, specially since I am a heavy guy (as I said before i am working on that ;) )

Thanks in advance.. I am open to all your suggestions.

Cheers,
Cris

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
hummm....

I think that what you'll find is that your bike already has pretty good parts. Only if you have a way to sell your parts, or another bike to put them on, does it make sense to spend all the money on going gram conscious.

However, that said, I've done a bit of it myself. I've gotten my XL sized epic down to 25 pounds even(without the seatpost baggie), with the handicap of a heavy fork. Yes, for the cost of the fork I could have easily gotten a SID WC or a Scarab Super/Platinum, but this one is worth the weight difference.

Fox F100x Terralogic Fork; 2003 Shimano XT shifters, cassette (11-32), front and rear derr; PC99 chain; Magura Marta SL brakes - 160mm rotors; FSA Team Issue crankset and Race Face Signature TI BB (68*113); Chris King ISO disc hubs; DT Revolution Spokes (262mm); Mavic 317 rims; Easton EC-70 bars; Syntace F99 stem (6deg*105mm); Oury Grips; King Headset; IRD seatpost clamp (non-QR); Titec XC-Carbon post (30.9*350); SI Flite TT saddle; Salsa Skewers; Xpedo Mountainforce Ti/Ti pedals; Maxxis 1.9 Ignitor tires, ultralight tubes; Cateye cordless computer

This is just to give you a few ideas. I'm 6'3" and 180 pounds, and I can reccomend most everything on the bike to you. I still don't trust the seatpost, and the jury is still out on the pedals. However, I also just recently built a 30 pound 5" travel bike, making this a pretty race-only rig, ridden once or twice a week, instead of four times and in the mountains. That makes certain things like the pedals and seatpost more acceptable.

My opinions: you won't loose much by swapping out that seatpost. Look at stem, handlebars, and saddle. Syntace stem is great. Any good carbon bar around 120 grams will fill your need. Maxim bars are priced right for what they are. I find the flite saddle more comfortable and durable than the aspide. I own an SLR, but consider it a road only saddle at my weight. You can do lighter than those pedals, and the newer shimano 540 and 959 pedals will perform better too. I know some people are die-hard about the crank-beaters, but I've seen some nasty failures, and was willing to give these a shot (at 195 grams, and half the price of eggbeaters triple-ti). Superlight wheels are quite an investment, and something I'd avoid until you were really serious about it. I have spent some time riding a skarab super 100, and would fully reccomend it for a supple racer fork if you were looking to upgrade. Find a tire that works for you. I've used lighter, but right now, I find extreme cornering ability to be worth a few grams. Ritchey WCS foam grips are light and nice. I'd reccomend Marta brakes. They're strong, but not as strong as my new Hope Mono M4 185mm setup, but I wouldn't expect them to be. However, it looks like you're STI integrated. Considering your drivetrain is new, I'd try and get some use out of it before I started swapping brake and shifting parts.

On a side note, my FSA cranks and RF BB (under 150 miles) are currently for sale. 50 grams lighter than XTR, they get the job done. [email protected] if you're interested.

Nice bike, make sure to have fun with it. It's definately a good way to 'lighten up' that body.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks johnmyster99...

for the detailed and extremely helpful post. I will take a look into your suggestions. I recently put this build together (it is around 2 to 4 months old, depending on the parts), but I live in Germany and bought most of the parts in the States, so I have a very good "ebay sale value". I will see what good deals I find and see how it goes from there....

Thanks....

Cris

PS: Nice ride ... I really like that S-Works frame...... maybe I"ll get one of those when I grow up ;)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
hah, that's a good one

man I love reading the posts on this weight weenie forum.
A 200 lb. guy buys a bloated full suspension bike and suddenly turns into a gram-counting weenie.
thaty's like asking how to turn my ti hardtails into freeride bikes.
or buying a VW van and being bummed it doesn't go 200 mph.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That"s exactly not what I am doing...

bulC said:
A 200 lb. guy buys a bloated full suspension bike and suddenly turns into a gram-counting weenie.
I just asked for any weight savings I could get benefit from. I am overweight now because I stopped riding for the past two years (getting a PhD isn't exactly a vacation you know)... So I got back into riding again........ I know in a couple of months i will be way lighter and I might even get into some racing.....

Regarding the BUYING part.. I didn't BUY it.. I built it... from the frame.....I chose the parts within my budget.

Thanks for the very NON-CONSTRUCTIVE comment.

·
Registered
161 Posts
bloated...

I'd have to say that when I first built up my epic, it was around 28 pounds, because it was my only mountain bike and had to handle various 'all mountain' duties. Big tires, heavy cranks, solid cockpit, etc. However, needs change, and componentry selections follow. So Crisillo's needs changed too, and he's looking for major opportunities for reduction. Fair I think.

Yeah, the epic isn't exactly a light FS frame, especially in larger sizes and in the heaver 2003 model. With an air shock, my turner 5-spot frame would be every bit as light. But, there's alot to be said for the performance of these frames, as far as sprinting efficiency, cornering, and responsiveness goes. Bloated, maybe. Faster than others, likely. Maybe Philip would have plenty of time to describe that one to us now that he's not racing.

And I'd hate to see anybody give a 200# cyclist a hard time. What was the dude that broke away in the Olympic road race the other week, at 215#. A world class road cyclist at 215? Yeah, so he didn't stay off the front, but it wasn't holding him back, and he finished in the pack. Cyclists come in all shapes and sizes, and frankly, 180# is my race weight. All legs, no upper body. I could easily see someone a bit more built approaching the clydesdale cutoff.

Well friends, I guess the weight-weenies forum is where all the pricks lurk and pounce. Think I'll go back over to my usual board....

Attachments

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Don't let the resident troll bother you. BulC is all about...well, BulC. Feel lucky he didn't mention for the 900th time that he rides a rigid and is faster then everyone he meets(which he usually has to mention in most of his posts when hes not being an assho to everyone). I bet my 21lb FS disc brake racebike is lighter then his stripped down POS bikes. Hang that badboy on a scale for real. ANYONE can make a bike lighter by taking the fork, FD, RD, pods, cables, etc off. BFD. Who cares.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Exactly, BulC (or should I say Bull-S), comes through here every once in a while to get his post count up when he's not trying to catch a billy goat that crosses his bridge.

Your bike is far from bloated. You could get that bike down to 22 lbs and race it all season and beyond with no problem, it just takes some creativity and of course the cash. You've got quality components on there now, and the bike should be reasonably light. I'd look into the Eggbeater pedals like you said, and maybe an SLR Ti seat. There are other Weight Weenie tricks you could do, such as foam grips and bolt tuning. Other than that, I'd just enjoy it, its a beautiful bike.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I hate to bash....

... but that dude is a total dufus. The only opinion that matters is his, and he is not at all happy with the world because it does not agree with him.

Who else flys into a weight weenie forum to say that weight weenieism is full of crap. It's like he may as well interupt a Catholic service and start arguing with the pastor about how Jesus had it all wrong.

To me, to counteract his lame ass narrow minded opinion, is that yeah, a FS bike is never going to weigh as little as a hardtail can, but if you apply some weight weenieism, a FS bike with 4 inches can weigh as little as a hardtail that has not applied these principals. Therefore, you get the benifits of FS wtih less of the weight penalty. So what's wrong with that?

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I used to work for a guy....

bulC said:
Who used to drag race VW busses, and would reach some unreal speeds. I think for a while, he held the world record for the quarter mile in a front drive car, set by his '82 Jetta.

Who says you can't get there from here, troll? You wanna crush everybody's sprit?

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
johnmyster99 said:
Well friends, I guess the weight-weenies forum is where all the pricks lurk and pounce. Think I'll go back over to my usual board....
Theres a few of those too, as there are on all of the boards, unfortunately. But you will also find knowledgeable people that are more than willing to help a newbie with problems or questions on just about any bike related subject. Most of those who start trouble here are trolls passing through from other boards, not regular contributers to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks...

DaFireMedic said:
Exactly, BulC (or should I say Bull-S), comes through here every once in a while to get his post count up when he's not trying to catch a billy goat that crosses his bridge.
I just ignore what he says......

DaFireMedic said:
Your bike is far from bloated. You could get that bike down to 22 lbs and race it all season and beyond with no problem, it just takes some creativity and of course the cash. You've got quality components on there now, and the bike should be reasonably light. I'd look into the Eggbeater pedals like you said, and maybe an SLR Ti seat. There are other Weight Weenie tricks you could do, such as foam grips and bolt tuning. Other than that, I'd just enjoy it, its a beautiful bike.
Regarding my bike, I will look into your suggestions. Thanks a lot :)

Cris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.