Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am finally moving over to Disc Brakes and will get some new wheels. Crossmax SL are out the the picture due to price.

I am going to have Mike Garcia build up some wheels but I am not sure to go UST again or DT Swiss/Eclipse Kit.

I basically only use UST 90% of the time and don't see my self racing for while now due to my kid right now.

So my choices are down to these:

1. Magura Pro (DT Swiss 240) hubs, Mavic UST rims and 32 AE15 spokes.
Weight should come in about 1785g.

2. Dt Swiss 240, XR4.1D and 28 AE15 spokes with a weight around 1550g before 70g in DT/Eclipse so it's 1620g.

So do I save 165-180g and go lighter, or go heavier and keepusing UST rims that I really like?

The pure WW in my says go lighter, but the UST is easier/better system IMO on sealing the rim. Also the UST rims will be just a little stronger.

Any thought??

BTW: Stan's rims in not an option that I like at this moment or like...

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From Mike Garcia...

Doing a build with the DT 240S Hubs and XR4.1D rims and weigh in at ~1600g using 32 AE15 spokes. You could also do one or both wheels in 28H drilling and save about 25g off each wheel.
I am looking to probaly go 28h.

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
tough choice

I have both the DT 4.1d and Mavic 3.1d (now called 819?) rims. The 4.1d with eclipse kit is lighter, but not light enough or wide enough to justify the benefits of the Mavic true tubeless rim. After time the tubeless kit becomes a pain. Also I'm much more comfortable running converted tires on the UST rim. For a race wheel it is worth it to save every gram, but for a training wheel I say go with the Mavic rim.

Also, Mike's wheels are built so well I think you should go with lighter spokes than normal.

The 240 hubs are likely what I'll use on my next wheel, but I have had no problems with my Laser Disc Light hubs.

DIRT BOY said:
Well I am finally moving over to Disc Brakes and will get some new wheels. Crossmax SL are out the the picture due to price.

I am going to have Mike Garcia build up some wheels but I am not sure to go UST again or DT Swiss/Eclipse Kit.

I basically only use UST 90% of the time and don't see my self racing for while now due to my kid right now.

So my choices are down to these:

1. Magura Pro (DT Swiss 240) hubs, Mavic UST rims and 32 AE15 spokes.
Weight should come in about 1785g.

2. Dt Swiss 240, XR4.1D and 28 AE15 spokes with a weight around 1550g before 70g in DT/Eclipse so it's 1620g.

So do I save 165-180g and go lighter, or go heavier and keepusing UST rims that I really like?

The pure WW in my says go lighter, but the UST is easier/better system IMO on sealing the rim. Also the UST rims will be just a little stronger.

Any thought??

BTW: Stan's rims in not an option that I like at this moment or like...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Gio,
How is life treating you? I hope you and your wife are enjoying your son and all the parenting that goes along with it. I pop in every once in a while. Not riding much.....once a week no less than twice a month. take care.
Chris

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's nice to hear from you....

I thought you vanished ;).
Well life is great with the wife and baby girl and I love being a Dad.
Just watching here grow is such a joy and I can't beleive how fun fatherhood is.

Getting on the Roadie at least 3x a week and now the MTB at least o
nce. I took a 3 month lay-off from the MTB due to the baby and time restraints and from the joy of road riding. It's much easier to go out my door and ride for 40 miles than it is to pack-up and drive at least 35 minutes to the nearest trails.
But I will be going every Saturday and every other Thursday for a few month so that will be great.

I hope you and your family are doing well. Keeping the weight off these days??

gio

·
Registered
36 Posts
Glad to hear all is well. Yeah my weight fluxuates between 205 to 220. I have considerable more muscle and look more like a bodybuilder than a rider. I ride anywhere from 2-4 times a month. I have been doing sprints (running) on the local track 100meters and speed drills quite a bit. HIIT cardio on the treadmill. Lifting has saved me from the constant stripping of muscle and overtraining. I am enjoying riding now for purely fitness and fun instead of torture. I am too big of a dude to be competitive in racing and quite honstly did not enjoy it. My 17 inch pipes feel strong instead of soft and puney. Take care my fellow fitness friend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.