Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some work and cleaning on my bike and i had to remove my front tire. No problem. But while i was cleaning/tuning, I bumped my brake lever and my hydraulic brakes locked down in the front where the tire was removed. The pads are pressed together tight and i cant get my tire back on. Sorry if this is n00bish but ive never had to deal with hydraulic brakes. How do i get them to release?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Use flat screw driver to ...

Alandrex said:
I was doing some work and cleaning on my bike and i had to remove my front tire. No problem. But while i was cleaning/tuning, I bumped my brake lever and my hydraulic brakes locked down in the front where the tire was removed. The pads are pressed together tight and i cant get my tire back on. Sorry if this is n00bish but ive never had to deal with hydraulic brakes. How do i get them to release?
separate them

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
What he said. Just use a small flat head and be carefull not to break off any of the pad materal. Or remove your pads if you can, and use the same screwdriver to push the pistons back in place, just be careful.

·
P-51 Crew Chief #38
603 Posts
Take out the pads. Grab a 10mm box end wrench and push each piston out until it stops(Put the box end on the post that holds the pads, but be very careful). Go back and forth between the two pistons until they stop. Now replace the pads and gently reset them by pulling the lever with the wheel in the fork. Now any time you feel the need to pull the front wheel place a piece of cardboard in between the pads so if you pull the lever you don't have to do this again.

G

·
Only use a screw driver if the pads wont come out (too close together) Use needle nose pliers on the tabs if you cant pull hard enough with your fingers (but be careful)
I prefer a 12mm wrench...using box end

Make sure the pistons are not on an angle when you push them in, mine sometimes do this... and can f*ck up pad wear, and reduce braking power/ feel... sometimes takes several minutes to get them the way I want... but all in all relatively easy job...

Good luck with your brakes

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
dhtahoe said:
Take out the pads. Grab a 10mm box end wrench and push each piston out until it stops(Put the box end on the post that holds the pads, but be very careful). Go back and forth between the two pistons until they stop. Now replace the pads and gently reset them by pulling the lever with the wheel in the fork. Now any time you feel the need to pull the front wheel place a piece of cardboard in between the pads so if you pull the lever you don't have to do this again.
this is the best and right way to do it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.