Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hopefully you can help me to shave a bit off my ac . It weighs in now at 37.6 pounds ! I know it will never be a lightweight, but 30 to 33 maybe ?? It is bone stock with the exception of a carbon easton monkeylite riser bar and a easton EA70 stem and I switched to sram rocket shifters . The rest is as it came. Any suggestions ? Of course I would like to not spend a ton of money doing it either lol !! Thanks so much !!! Jerry

color Black
size 17"
frame ALUXX SL double butted aluminum, adjustable travel suspension, triple gussets, sealed bearing pivots
fork Rock Shox Psylo XC QR, 3-5" travel, 20mm thru-axel
rear derailleur Shimano Deore XT
front derailleur Shimano Deore XT
derailleurshifters Shimano Deore LX, 9-speed " switched to sram rocket"
cranks RaceFace Prodigy ISIS Spined, 22/32/44T
pedals Shimano M424 Clipless "switched to platforms "
handlebar Titec Ringleader DH, 6061 butted / " switched to easton monkeylite"
stem Titec Big Al "switched to easton EA70"
headset FSA integrated, cartridge bearings
brakes Hayes Hydraulic Disc, 8" rotors
saddle WTB Speed V
seatpost Titec DH 27.2mm
rims Sun Rhyno Lite-XL, 36H
hubs Alloy SL, sealed bearing, QR, 20mm front axle
tires Michelin Wildgripper DH Comp 24.1 soft, 26x2.5
rearshock Rock Shox Pro Deluxe w/ compression and rebound adjust
cassette Shimano Deore LX, 11-34T, 9-speed
spokes Stainless Steel 14G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
new wheelset...
rhyno lites arent terribly heavy, but you can still go lighter. how much do you weigh? depending on that we can build you a much lighter setup.
ditch the boatanchor LX cassette for an XT
what kind of tubes are you running?
ditch the saddle.... WTBs are heavy. all of them are.
theres really no need for a "DH" seatpost. unless your a heavy guy and you come down REALLY hard on your seat its not going to fail, but at that point you have more problems on your hand than a broke post.
if you want a strong, but light post go with a Thomson masterpiece.
 

·
I dig trails!
Joined
·
5,575 Posts
jbreddawg said:
tires Michelin Wildgripper DH Comp 24.1 soft, 26x2.5
I addition to the other comments, replace these tires with something in the 700 gram range and you should still have durability and drop a few pounds. DH tires are ~1200 grams each! Other than the tires, seatpost and platforms your part spec should be in the low to mid 30 range.

Mr. P
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies !! I'm going to pick up an XT cassette and XTR chain from ebay, and will find another seatpost. I am a clyde unfortunetly, but am working on dropping a few pounds. 240 at the moment,working towards my goal of 190 to 200. but I am not an aggressive rider, just casual for now. I certaintly want to change the tires, they look and work great but are HUGH !! I will also find a new saddle. I have no idea what tubes are in there since I have not had to remove the tires yet. I really appreiate the help and any more ideas would be great !! Thanks, Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
if theyre stock tubes then theyre probably crappy, thick heavy ones..
try Salsa tubes aka Kenda. theyre pretty light for the amount of meat they have.
like i said, any seatpost will support you so ditching the unnecessary "DH" one for a lighter XC model will definately save some weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, I've been doing a little research on tires. I could probably save a couple of pounds just getting rid of these tank tracks !!! What would be some good XC tires in the 2.0 to 2.2 range that dont weigh a ton ? I will defenitly pick up the light tubes also !!
 

·
I dig trails!
Joined
·
5,575 Posts
jbreddawg said:
Wow, I've been doing a little research on tires. I could probably save a couple of pounds just getting rid of these tank tracks !!! What would be some good XC tires in the 2.0 to 2.2 range that dont weigh a ton ? I will defenitly pick up the light tubes also !!
Check out the tires forum, it quite educational, and there are many tires out there for many applications. Part of the fun.

Perhaps look at a IRC TrailBear 2.25 (~700 grams) and $12 at price point. Good strudy rear tire. If you ride fast, get something with sticky rubber up front (specialized, Kenda, or Maxxis)

Mr. P
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help !! So far I have an XT cassette , titec XC seatpost 270g ,and IRC mythos tires 555g , On the way . I think this alone should probably drop a couple pounds or better. I'm still looking for a decent comfortable AND light seat . Some lighter tubes and I should probably be happy. " for the moment anyways lol " Once again , Thanks !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
The Mythos in 2.1?

jbreddawg said:
Thanks for the help !! So far I have an XT cassette , titec XC seatpost 270g ,and IRC mythos tires 555g , On the way . I think this alone should probably drop a couple pounds or better. I'm still looking for a decent comfortable AND light seat . Some lighter tubes and I should probably be happy. " for the moment anyways lol " Once again , Thanks !!
Did you get a front and a rear tire? They are wheel specific. The Mythos is one of the VERY best all around tires ever made. (IMO) You will drop 2 pounds easy with the Mythos tires alone.

.25lb or more on teh cassette, + the drop on the post.

Next up, crankset/bb combo. Look around for a new XT or possibly RF ATLAS crankset with the external bb cups. Stiffer, stronger, and lighter.

Do not forget about the wheels, or at least the hubs. Plenty of room for shaving weight without loosing durability.

Another cheap way to drop some weight is by going with a 6" rear rotor. Plenty of stopping power, and you drop to a smaller rotor, and smaller adaptor. There is a Ti bolt set (of all things) for the Hayes brakeset. (that is going overboard)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I did get a front and rear . I saw the 620g 2003 XT M752 crankset on closeout for 89.00 !! Seems like a steal !! And the ES-71 BB at 260g for 30.00 . Is it worth the 120.00 on this set ? would it save me enough weight and still be strong enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade ? Also, does anyone know the what width bb I need for my AC2 ? Thanks again !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
Can you go higher?

jbreddawg said:
Yes, I did get a front and rear . I saw the 620g 2003 XT M752 crankset on closeout for 89.00 !! Seems like a steal !! And the ES-71 BB at 260g for 30.00 . Is it worth the 120.00 on this set ? would it save me enough weight and still be strong enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade ? Also, does anyone know the what width bb I need for my AC2 ? Thanks again !!

If so, perhaps $200 or so for a current XT (external BB) setup?

If that is a stretch, go with the ES71 bb and 752 cranks. THey should feel similar to your current model, but be lighter and shift better.
 

·
Get your freak on!
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
Skip the XT crankset, it won't save THAT much weight, IMO. You are better off putting the money into lighter wheels. Even at your weight, you could get away with some lighter spokes, some lighter rims (look at DT rims:) ), and get yourself some nice hubs (Hope, Hadley and King all make very nice durable yet not too heavy hubs).

Tires and light tubes will be a nice saving, chanes are your old tubes won't fit into your new tires, so you will have to get some new lighter tubes anyway (don't get generic tubes, they are not lightweight, look at Salsa, specialized, kenda light...).

By getting a lighter seat with less padding and Ti rails, it wil save alot of weight, if you like the shape of WTB's, then look at one of their lighter version (the Rocket?).

If oyu are willing to use clipless pedals, get something like crankbrother egg beaters, it wil lsave alot of weight.

And lastly, if you really want to change the feel of your bike to more XC, this will probably be the biggest upgrade you could do (but also as expensive as good wheels, and you won't be able to take it to another bike..). Is a new Rear shock, it will save a good amount of weight if you get an Air shock, but most importantly, you could set it up so it will be perfect for your weight and most new shocks have 'stable platform' type valving, which basiclly resits pedal bob. Something like a Fox RP3 can be had for under $400.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You know I was really thinking of an airshock . I was just worried about it's durability with my weight. I was thinking maybe I would weight lol until I lost a few pounds. I'm going to ride the wheels until I destroy one, I have a habit of killing wheels so I am pretty sure I will be wheel shopping in the near future.I personally don't want to use clipless , so the platforms will have to stay as well as I must have a comfortable seat . I am willing to not have the lightest seat as long as it's livable.
Are the AC and the Airlite the same frames ? Just shock differences ? I did just order some lightweight Richey tubes from ebay. I think I have most bases covered for what I'm willing to spend right now. I think my next big purchase will probably be an airshock.
 

·
Get your freak on!
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
jbreddawg said:
You know I was really thinking of an airshock . I was just worried about it's durability with my weight. I was thinking maybe I would weight lol until I lost a few pounds. I'm going to ride the wheels until I destroy one, I have a habit of killing wheels so I am pretty sure I will be wheel shopping in the near future.I personally don't want to use clipless , so the platforms will have to stay as well as I must have a comfortable seat . I am willing to not have the lightest seat as long as it's livable.
Are the AC and the Airlite the same frames ? Just shock differences ? I did just order some lightweight Richey tubes from ebay. I think I have most bases covered for what I'm willing to spend right now. I think my next big purchase will probably be an airshock.
Yes, i believe the AC Air used the same frame, just with an air shock. Even at your weight, i wouldn't be worried about running an air shock, the Fox RP3 is a very durable shock, espeically considering it's low weight. PUSH industries may be able to custom tune a Fox RP3 specially to your weight, riding style and bike, it may cost a little extra, but would be the best possible upgrade:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Mr.P said:
Check out the tires forum, it quite educational, and there are many tires out there for many applications. Part of the fun.

Perhaps look at a IRC TrailBear 2.25 (~700 grams) and $12 at price point. Good strudy rear tire. If you ride fast, get something with sticky rubber up front (specialized, Kenda, or Maxxis)

Mr. P
Instead of saving grams, I think more people should take up the lost art of saving pounds from their waistline.
 

·
Get your freak on!
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
artbeat said:
Instead of saving grams, I think more people should take up the lost art of saving pounds from their waistline.
Agreed, but he did say he was loosing weight off himself, so why not loose some weight off the bike at the same time?

For me, saving weight off the bike is all i can do, besides training hard and maybe not eating anything (currently 57kg).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I'm sure all us clydes wish it were that easy to shed some pounds. It's tough enough to get on these boards and say how much we weigh and that were working on losing .

I really appreiate you taking time out of your busy training schedule to tell me I should lose off my waistline .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
Do not sweat the gnats.

jbreddawg said:
Yes, I'm sure all us clydes wish it were that easy to shed some pounds. It's tough enough to get on these boards and say how much we weigh and that were working on losing .

I really appreiate you taking time out of your busy training schedule to tell me I should lose off my waistline .

Up here, anyone under 165 is a gnat. It is nice of the overtraining population to chime in now and again, is it not?
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top