Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I've got a question. I am searching for a new entry level mountain bike, but I'm kind of a noob and so I've got a few questions. I have gone to my LBS(s) and have ridden a few of these bikes. They all feel pretty good to me, but I have taken a liking to the Talon 27.5 5 (For some odd reason). I just wanted to get some input on the bikes just so I don't make a mistake (which I have done, hence I'm getting a new bike).

2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5
2014 Haro Flightline 29 Sport
2014 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er
2014 Giant Revel 29er
2014 Scott Aspect 950

I have a budget I've set at 700. But honestly, I would rather keep most of the money. Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can't really help you on your decision (I don't know a lot about those bikes) but from just going through it all myself, you should leave like $2-300 on the table for stuff you'll need like helmet, bike carrier, something to carry your stuff in, possible new seat, multi tool, spare tube or patch kit, and maybe some other stuff you might need that I'm forgetting.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If the bike fits properly and you've tried it out, not sure how you are going to make a mistake with any of these.

Your first decision is to decide whether you really want a 29er or a 27.5. Depending on what you are used to and your body build the 29er may take a bit more time to get used to or you may just not like it. I would take my time and try the 29ers out a few times to see if they grow on you. Then, personally, I think you pretty much get what you pay for. I would opt for a better frame and replace components that were less than desirable as they break or wear out but YMMV.

In addition, if you are leaning towards the 27.5, go find a couple others to try. (edit: Nothing wrong with the Giant but go look at other 27.5s too.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I still need a multi tool. But I've been able to grab a helmet from a friend. Everything else... still working on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just went through the same thing. I went with the talon 27 5 5. I didnt like the way the entry level 29s felt. So far i like my talon. I took several months to make up my mind.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So would I be better off by saving to get a better bike or taking the one I enjoy the most of those bikes?

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can ALWAYS find a better and more expensive bike. I think the thing to do is to buy the best bike for you that you can afford at the time and enjoy it. I don't think any of these bikes are going to disintegrate while you ride them if you are a beginner more or less.

When you say you made a mistake in the past, what do you mean? You just went rock bottom on price and bought a POS? You didn't get fit correctly? You bought the wrong style bike for your riding?

I think at $700 you can get something rideable for XC and you will enjoy it for a while. If you get a good frame, you won't mind so much replacing things as they break and wear out. Well, that's my 2 cents at least.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. You are probably right and I am just over-analyzing this too much.

When you say you made a mistake in the past, what do you mean? You just went rock bottom on price and bought a POS? You didn't get fit correctly? You bought the wrong style bike for your riding?
Yes, I have. I bought a Fuji 29er 2.1 and I just didn't like the geometry, shifting was... close to garbage and the components just fell apart me. I replaced the cassette. Sold it and am now looking for a new mountain bike.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll make a blanket statement. Nothing in the $700 range is going to have a great fork on it unless you get a great deal on a 2013 model that retailed in the $1000+ range. Suntour does ( I think) have a pretty good upgrade program for a XCM/T/R fork to a Raidon fork. I think the Raidon forks are pretty decent for the money, so if you get a SR fork, you can upgrade in a while if you get another $200 together. ( You should check the SR website for details)

Sounds like you really want a 27.5 but unlikely you will get much of a discount right now. They are the latest hot thing and your timing isn't great. Sounds like if you like the Talon and it's in your price range..then you should get riding.

(Edit: Link to upgrade program: SR Suntour North America | SR Suntour Customer Loyalty Upgrade Program )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts