Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so she was riding my specialized rockhopper 17.5 inch frame but I sold it and now she is looking to buy herself one. She wants to spend 650 tops. I was thinking maybe she should get a 29er but I checked trek, specialized, and giant out and the cheapest 29er they offer is the giant rainier at 750. I need some help from the ladies on this one. beginner 24 y/o 5"4 inch 125# female? And she had only ridden the rockhopper twice.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Why a 29er? If she hasn't tried riding both, have her ride both. A 26'er is easier to wheelie (the Rainier looks nice, but the chain stays are a little on the long side, so it will be tougher to get the front end up). I like a 26'er because it is easier to whip around. On the other hand, a 29'er more easily rolls over obstacles. Also, at 5'4", I'd make sure she was comfortable with stand-over, especially on a 29'er. The Rainier looks like it might have good standover. I would also have her try bikes other than women's specific; they may also work for her.

Also check out Jamis and Kona.

As for price, ask stores to check with their distributor to see if they have any last-year's models that they can discount. I saved 30% on a Jamis some years ago using this approach.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi! I have a titus motolite frame for sell. Size xsmall (14.5) and with a fox rp23 as a rear shox. You can adjust the rear shox to 4'' or 5'', depending on the terrain. Bike has been barely riden and is in great shape. I am also 5'4. If you need parts, it is built up but I wouldn't mind selling the frame only and then selling parts separatly. Let me know if my offer interests you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.