Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My problem is constant directly from bargain new C-dale Prophet 2000. After every ride Leftys crown does down and the fork travel is restrict, initially about 2,5 cm, now 1,0 cm.
After every ride I must remove top cup and agreeably to Manufacture manual I must to reset needle bearings. Manual allows - "beraings migration is normal and acceptable"! Acceptable for so expensive suspension fork?
Company engineer in GARDASEE bikefestival said me - more riding, less migration.
What do you about it? Tell me some tips, how can I check this problem. Or send me some photos or instructions of the inner parts of the Lefty. Thanks very much.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
tutite said:
My problem is constant directly from bargain new C-dale Prophet 2000. After every ride Leftys crown does down and the fork travel is restrict, initially about 2,5 cm, now 1,0 cm.
After every ride I must remove top cup and agreeably to Manufacture manual I must to reset needle bearings. Manual allows - "beraings migration is normal and acceptable"! Acceptable for so expensive suspension fork?
Company engineer in GARDASEE bikefestival said me - more riding, less migration.
What do you about it? Tell me some tips, how can I check this problem. Or send me some photos or instructions of the inner parts of the Lefty. Thanks very much.
It is a part of the design, not something they designed in, to make life difficult, but just an inherant part of it, that cannot be designed out. It is far easier now, for anyone to take care of it on their own, it used to be a shop only adjustment.It should be thought of as routine maintenence, and as such, once you get comfortable doing it, should not take more than a few minutes of time. If your fork requires it after every ride, there is a problem, if this is so, take it to a competent mechanic who works with these forks, and have them check you bearing preload. I would recommend resetting it, measure from the top of the tire, to the bottom of the fork, use that as a baseline, and measure every few rides. When you reach 1CM of reduction in travel, do the reset. I would guess once a month or even longer depending on your riding style, and how frequently you ride.Hope that helps!

·
Registered
136 Posts
tutite said:
effectively, it is a part of the design, but not a choosen one: a part that comes as a consequence of the design since its inception. It's worth noticing that more than ten years were necessary for cannondale to speak - almost - openly about this "problem", since the originals fatty were affected by this phenomenon. Nothing can be done about it. The only way to gain some time between two re-settings is to remove one or two needle bearings on each bearing races: the bearings come down - inevitable - but it will takes a little more time for them - exactly the place gained by the needle removal - to get in contact with the retaining clips and to produce this enerving top out noise and the correspondent loss of effective travel.

That said, I was so tired about incessant resetting that i switched to a marzocchi Z1 fr and I'm totally satisfied

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.