Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, So maybe not full on WW status like what I am going to do with my Superfly, but I do want to cut some(100-400g) weight off of it.
For instance, grips, saddle, brakes, bolts. Eventually wheels and drivetrain are a possibility.

I had all of my wife and my mountain bikes stolen out of our garage about a month ago. USAA homeowners really was fantastic and gave me much more than they were worth. So I got to buy a dream bike.

2014 Attack Trail XT9 Carbon frame.
Pike DP 160mm/130mm
Monarch Plus
Reverb Stealth
Easton Vice XLT 27.5 Wheelset
Hans Dampf 2.35 front, Nobby Nic 2.25 rear
Elixir 9 trail 4 pistons
E13 TRS+ Crankset
XT Cassette w/ WT 42t Cog and xt chain
XT Shadow+ RD
Renthal Fatbar Carbon handlebar 780mm (might be too wide)
Renthal Duo 50mm Stem
m520 pedals
Selle Italia SLS Kit Carbonio Flow saddle

This picture was before a couple changes.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,204 Posts
If you're looking to lose weight, with any AM bike the first thing I'd do is get rid of anything with the words Renthal, Kore, Spank, or Answer.

Also, wheels. Wheels are almost always the most upgrade worthy part on any bike.

I'd take a look at some carbon rims of your choice, DT 240s, and double butted or bladed spokes. DT makes, in my opinion, the most durable hubs on the market, and the DT 240 is the only hub out there that has won world championships on the road, XC, DH, and CX. It's light, durable, rolls very well, and is incredibly versatile.

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Those pictures show the specialized henge saddle and Schwalbe HD rear tire. Those have been swapped out.

I would like to remove the external cable routing clips from underneath the top tube and downtube since I have it all routed internally. Plastic/nylon/aluminum bolts for the holes?

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're looking to lose weight, with any AM bike the first thing I'd do is get rid of anything with the words Renthal, Kore, Spank, or Answer.

Also, wheels. Wheels are almost always the most upgrade worthy part on any bike.

I'd take a look at some carbon rims of your choice, DT 240s, and double butted or bladed spokes. DT makes, in my opinion, the most durable hubs on the market, and the DT 240 is the only hub out there that has won world championships on the road, XC, DH, and CX. It's light, durable, rolls very well, and is incredibly versatile.
That is definitely the next BIG upgrade. Next work bonus perhaps. maybe light bicycle with DT hubs. Current wheelset is probably <1800g with stans tape. Not light, but not super heavy.

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Handlebar weighs 225g, stem is 135g.

Stem, I am sure I can drop 20-30g. It might be difficult to find a wide bar that is much lighter. I want a bar that is at least 740mm wide(what I am used to). This one is 780 and I am still deciding if it is too wide.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,592 Posts
Lose the 380g 520 pedals and replace with 285g XTR pedal.......100g right there.

·
insert sarcasm here
332 Posts
Cassette. XT cassette plus WT cog is close to 400g if I remember correctly. If you are willing to go to a 40T in the rear, go with a Praxis 11-40 and save 75 or so grams

·
insert sarcasm here
332 Posts
Also, lizard skin DSP grips are 30g. There's also some foam grips out there closer to 20g.

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cassette. XT cassette plus WT cog is close to 400g if I remember correctly. If you are willing to go to a 40T in the rear, go with a Praxis 11-40 and save 75 or so grams
I don't "need" the 42t Cog, its just what it came with. I will probably either use a plain xt cassette or eventually try the new xt 11 speed with an 11-40.

I am most likely going to just wear them out this season and buy new stuff for next year.

·
There's always next year.
872 Posts
I was looking at ESI Chunky grips. They are comfortable and light and I dont have to cut them off. Are the DSP better?
I can't answer about the DSPs, but I do know that I LOVE the ESI grips on XC bikes, but I've had to stop using them on my trail/"All Mountain" bike. The nature of wider bars, and falling/crashing that happens to me more than out on my XC bike leads to the ESIs cutting, ripping, chunking off at seemingly the slightest tree/rock/ground touch. In my experience, once there's a tear... its been hard to stop. I wish I could find some sort of guard/protection for the edges, then I might go back to them.

Great grips though, as you may know. Comfy, light, good grip, and colors. Just 'tender' in my experience.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
You can always switch to aluminum bolts for the bottle cage bolts...or you can go to any hardware store and get some plastic plugs for the bottle cage bolt holes.

The weight weenie game is an expensive one. You've already got some nice parts on the bike. Some are heavier for good reason. Its an AM bike. Going with ESI's or Lizard Skins are light...but one good digger and they are toast. Going with wheels will probably make the biggest difference. Everything else will be very little bang for the buck that can only be felt by a scale.

·
Registered
47 Posts
M540 pedals weigh almost the same as xt and can be found for half the price. XTR rear deraileur, and a lighter sram or xtr cassette.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I just did the same thing to offset the weight of the dropper post I added to my Carbine 29:

SDG Circuit carbon rail seat - 165g (70g savings)
Twenty6 Industries 50mm F1.2 stem - 118g (40g savings)
Lizard Skin DSP 32mm grips - 30g (90g savings)
RockShox Maxle stealth - 37g (40g savings over std Maxle)
Woodman Deathgrip Ti seat post clamp - 11g (30g savings)
Titanium/Aluminum bolts - Unknown yet but probably small.

Had to buy a new seat anyway since old one was an I beam. The Lizard Skins are great, way more comfy than the Ergon GE1's they replaced. The supplied tape is kind of weak sauce but a better aftermarket double sided tape fixes that.

For Ti and Aluminum bolts check out Toronto Cycles, huge selection. Titanium Bolts, Titanium Fastener, Bike Parts Toronto, Bicycle Bolt

1 - 20 of 53 Posts