Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright so I have a 2010 specialized fsr xc comp. Stock plus panaracer xc firepro tires, and slx crankset.
Specialized Bicycle Components : FSRxc Comp
I have $500...help me spend it
OPTION 1:
I found a new 2010 reba rl dual air fork for $350.00 that would knock about 1.5 2lbs off my bike. I also found a carbon kit includes stem, seatpost, headset, for 85.00, that's 435, I guess I could get a carbon handlebar with the rest.
OPTION 2:
sale my bike and hopefully run across a camber 29er or buy something used or new at a good deal.

Is my frame worthy of upgrades on top of the ones mentioned?

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
What exactly is it that you hope to accomplish with your upgrades? Would you really rather have a 29er? If you don't really know what you're after then I would keep riding what you have, and keep the money in your pocket until you know. It is way too easy to waste money on bikes and not end up with what you really want.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
what exactly is it that you hope to accomplish with your upgrades? Would you really rather have a 29er? If you don't really know what you're after then i would keep riding what you have, and keep the money in your pocket until you know. It is way too easy to waste money on bikes and not end up with what you really want.
+1 ...

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
IMO, once you have the platform laid out, the frame, upgrades should begin with wheels and fork. Everything else is not really worth it. I mean, nice rear derailleur, shifters, etc. OK. Carbon bars to lose weight... maybe on a race bike. Expensive bars, stem, seat posts, etc. are just bling IMO.

As mentioned above, sounds like you're not sure what you want. Carbon bars wouldn't be my first choice to get a nicer ride unless you are trying to tweak the cockpit so the bike fits better. In that case, buying nice components vs budget components is just subjective value. I wouldn't drop a perfectly fine set of bars just to upgrade to something nicer.

If i were in your shoes, I'd demo both a FS 29r and a HT 29r. See how you like them. If you really like the 29er wheel size, either sell your bike and get a FS 29r or keep your bike and get a HT 29r.

If you want to stick with 26r, fork and wheel upgrade. Good tires for your area too. It'll make a big difference in the ride.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you mnigro, I actually have ridden a gary fisher cobia and could tell I would like the 29er feel of a bike, but not enough to get rid of mine for a 29er. So, I like the idea of a camber 29er, but dont think I can afford a new one and unless I run across a used one then I can count that out for now. Basically what I don't wanna do at this point is upgrade an inferior frame. I've always felt like the fsr has been specialized bastard child in which they didnt put much technology into. I believe I'm going to get the reba fork and what is a good wheelset in the $300 range?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
To be honest, I don't see much difference between the FSR and the stumpy, other thqn the grade of shock and frame material. I say upgrade the hell out of It. I just wouldn't dump a bunch of money into blingy parts.

Make sure the wheels you get have convertible hubs. I like the Hope Hoops, basically Hope factory-built wheels. They build on Stan's and Magic Rim. To cut costs, you get the front and then have a rear built on XT hub. They are good enough and hqve higher points of engagement. Also try and find a newer used Rockshox fork if you can. Try sending Bikerbob a PM and tell him that I sent you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.