Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It came stock on my Giant Rainier . I dig the SRAM, Avid, Sun, Easton, etc components but it seems like they had to compromise by putting a weak shock on. In the past I have heard that the EXR Comp is perhaps the worst fork Marzocchi makes. (?) The EXR Comp is 100mm travel but the good deals I've seen have been on the larger travel bikes.

Basically I'm relatively new and ride XC trails. I'm around 180-185 pounds. I enjoy going fast downhill and my current shock seems to do very little. I also take the odd small couple foot jump on the trail.

1) 2004 Marzocchi Marathon S for $275. I'm a bit worried about the extra travel and my frame (it uses the XTC frame geometry).

2) 2004 OEM Fox Vanilla 125R for $299. It appears to be adjustable to 100mm.

3) 2004 Rock Shox Psylo Race U-turn for $299.

Any others you'd add? Which do you think is the best option? The ones listed are already a tad above what I would like to spend but I want a fork I won't have to worry about again on this bike.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
dissonance said:
It came stock on my Giant Rainier . I dig the SRAM, Avid, Sun, Easton, etc components but it seems like they had to compromise by putting a weak shock on. In the past I have heard that the EXR Comp is perhaps the worst fork Marzocchi makes. (?) The EXR Comp is 100mm travel but the good deals I've seen have been on the larger travel bikes.

Basically I'm relatively new and ride XC trails. I'm around 180-185 pounds. I enjoy going fast downhill and my current shock seems to do very little. I also take the odd small couple foot jump on the trail.

1) 2004 Marzocchi Marathon S for $275. I'm a bit worried about the extra travel and my frame (it uses the XTC frame geometry).

2) 2004 OEM Fox Vanilla 125R for $299. It appears to be adjustable to 100mm.

3) 2004 Rock Shox Psylo Race U-turn for $299.

Any others you'd add? Which do you think is the best option? The ones listed are already a tad above what I would like to spend but I want a fork I won't have to worry about again on this bike.
Aaahhh!! You're watching at the same forks I do!!

I would go for the Zoke. Tunable and with lots of features. You can adjust the travel for climbing which you can't on the Fox. The Fox is a bit more stiffer and can run bigger rotors but I doubt you're likely to run bigger rotors on your Rainier.

I will install the stuff on a Giant Warp if it matters.

On the same places you're watching those forks, there's some manitou Minutes for same price that could fit the bill and I think you Rainier has Hayes disc brakes which are post-mount. I have my choices limited to Fox, Zoke and RS as my brakes are '02 Magura Julies (only IS mounts).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply. I'd jump all over that Marzocchi Marathon S if it was 105mm. I'm a bit worried about the geometry change in going to 120mm. The Fox is nice because you can switch it to 100mm but then of course I lose the ETA and I use this bike for everything so I might miss that. The brakes it came with are Avid mechs btw.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
dissonance said:
Hey thanks for the reply. I'd jump all over that Marzocchi Marathon S if it was 105mm. I'm a bit worried about the geometry change in going to 120mm. The Fox is nice because you can switch it to 100mm but then of course I lose the ETA and I use this bike for everything so I might miss that. The brakes it came with are Avid mechs btw.
Check out www.downshiftcycles.com

E-mail Jared and ask him about the 105mm. Another option is Larry Mettler at mtnhighcyclery.com

Or get the Zoke and run a deeper sag (30-35mm??). The good thing about the zoke is that you can play with the travel progression by adding or removing oil, so even if your sag is deep you're not going to blow thru the travel.

I'm like to swap my Julies for your Avids but it would be uberunfair.... Magura makes nice brakes though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wanted to add a Rock Shox Pike SL for $325 to the list of candidates. Would this be overkill for what I described in my original post? I'm leaning a little towards the Fox because I can't find a discounted 04 Marathon in 105mm.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
dissonance said:
Just wanted to add a Rock Shox Pike SL for $325 to the list of candidates. Would this be overkill for what I described in my original post? I'm leaning a little towards the Fox because I can't find a discounted 04 Marathon in 105mm.
If you want to add RS to your list, look at the Reba. Can be had at prices close to the Pike but matches your travel with the same adjustments.

BTW... When buying a Pike you gotta consider the 80+ bucks you gotta spend on a 20mm thru axle and wheel build.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sort of leaning towards just getting a 2005 Fox Vanilla RLC and then just being done with it. It's a 130mm but supposedly it can be lowered to 100mm. This adjustment will give me the proper geometry correct?

Another question I have is that the cheap fork on my bike now has 0 sag when I ride it on flat pavement. I was browsing through the Fox manual and it says there should be 15-25% sag. 20% would be 26mm sag which would be roughly how my cheap stock fork sits now when I'm on it. I'm wondering if a 130mm fork will really change my geometry at all if set up for the correct sag. Just wondering if I am missing anything.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
dissonance said:
I'm sort of leaning towards just getting a 2005 Fox Vanilla RLC and then just being done with it. It's a 130mm but supposedly it can be lowered to 100mm. This adjustment will give me the proper geometry correct?

Another question I have is that the cheap fork on my bike now has 0 sag when I ride it on flat pavement. I was browsing through the Fox manual and it says there should be 15-25% sag. 20% would be 26mm sag which would be roughly how my cheap stock fork sits now when I'm on it. I'm wondering if a 130mm fork will really change my geometry at all if set up for the correct sag. Just wondering if I am missing anything.
Not really. Get the MBA for this month. RC answers to someone in a situation like yours. You'll only increase your axle to crown distance by two-thirds or three-fourths of the travel increase if you sag the fork at say 30 and 25% respectively.

Get the axle to crown for the Vanilla 130. Substract that distance the sag you have in both situations and do the math.

Don't forget to compare both axle to crown against your current one. The rule of thumb says that for each inch of travel (axle to crown, for this purpouse) increase you'll get a slackening of about 1 degree at your headtube.

Do some math and let us know....

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
How about Manitou Blacks?

You can get 03 Black Elite 100mm at Greenfishsports.com for $189.00 They have TPC+, travel adjust, and are light weight. I like my 120 alot more than the 120 MarathonS.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Warp2003 said:
Not really. Get the MBA for this month. RC answers to someone in a situation like yours. You'll only increase your axle to crown distance by two-thirds or three-fourths of the travel increase if you sag the fork at say 30 and 25% respectively.

Get the axle to crown for the Vanilla 130. Substract that distance the sag you have in both situations and do the math.

Don't forget to compare both axle to crown against your current one. The rule of thumb says that for each inch of travel (axle to crown, for this purpouse) increase you'll get a slackening of about 1 degree at your headtube.

Do some math and let us know....
Thanks for the reply. I used the Fox spec sheet and used their A measurement and went and measured mine.

My A measurement: ~470mm (very close to the measurement of a Fox 100mm fork)
Fox 130mm A measurement: 500.9mm

So with using 20% sag of the 130 fork you get 26mm. Subtracting that from the Fox 130 measurement of 500.9mm you get 474.9mm. So that's only a 4 or 5 mm difference from my fork which has never sagged. So it sounds like with a 23% sag I could be riding at the same geometry as with my cheap fork. Unless I'm missing something.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
dissonance said:
Thanks for the reply. I used the Fox spec sheet and used their A measurement and went and measured mine.

My A measurement: ~470mm (very close to the measurement of a Fox 100mm fork)
Fox 130mm A measurement: 500.9mm

So with using 20% sag of the 130 fork you get 26mm. Subtracting that from the Fox 130 measurement of 500.9mm you get 474.9mm. So that's only a 4 or 5 mm difference from my fork which has never sagged. So it sounds like with a 23% sag I could be riding at the same geometry as with my cheap fork. Unless I'm missing something.
Cool. Good to know.

I'm very possibly after a Zoke Marathon which sits at 493-30 (25% sag)= 473. My Suntour now sits at closely 450-5= 445. The Zoke is going to raise my front end 28mm!!!

Not too bad for the Warp. I just installed a lower rise stem which will keep my hands at a similar height as before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.