Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loving my 2014 yeti 575 but it has a 90mm stem and 710mm bars and a top tube of 23.8. Is there a way to give it a more modern feel and take some of the weight off my wrists (my biggest complaints when riding on level surfaces).

I live near South Park Colorado, equal distances to buffalo creek, summit county and salida. May get a few days a year at keystone bike park. Would give up some uphill performance for down.

Loving the pike fork and fox shock. No complaints there. And my xt brakes stop on a dime. My giant dropper works...most of the time. Already have 27.5 and 1x11 gears

Mainly wanting to just reconfigure the cockpit. I ordered 780mm bars with 20mm rise and and a 60mm stem. Keep the wide bars and 60mm stem I just ordered? Something completely different? More of a riser to reduce hand fatigue? Worried this may feel to cramped due to the older Geo of the 575.

Would love to hear from the techy people in the comments. If this post annoys you, sorry. Some may love giving advice and nerd out on this stuff.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
How tall are you? Do you already feel cramped?

A lot of the modern feel comes from a significantly steeper seat tube angle, which you're stuck with what you've got. The 575 is a pretty long bike as-is.

A shorter stem helps take weight off your wrists. Wider bars puts weight back on your wrists. So you're not really making a huge change there, necessarily. Id still stick with the shorter stem and wider bars, its a very nice change. But you may need to go shorter with the stem.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Try to move the saddle back or get a saddle with longer rail.
My dropper has a switchable for-aft plate the saddle rails are on. Maybe yours has that too?

Fit takes a while to dial in. Especially if you are new to cycling or cycling farther.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm 5' 10". So far I'm just used to my bike as it's my first and only. Did a 16 mile loop at buffalo creek yesterday so I've been getting some time on it. She's all I know

·
Registered
506 Posts
There is only so much you can do to give an older bike a newer feel and it sounds like you are doing it with the wider bars and shorter stem. I did the same thing on my 2011 giant trance and it felt fine while in the saddle pedaling, but the shorter 50mm stem made the bike feel very cramped and my center of gravity was very high when out of the saddle and descending. That was years and a couple bikes ago for me. For reference I’m also 5’10” and my current bike has a 480mm reach and a top tube of about 25 1/4 inches with my seat all the way forward and a 40mm stem and 780 bars. You will most likely have to compromise on some aspect of your current bike as the frame will be the limiting factor.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Loving my 2014 yeti 575 but it has a 90mm stem and 710mm bars and a top tube of 23.8. Is there a way to give it a more modern feel and take some of the weight off my wrists (my biggest complaints when riding on level surfaces).

I live near South Park Colorado, equal distances to buffalo creek, summit county and salida. May get a few days a year at keystone bike park. Would give up some uphill performance for down.

Loving the pike fork and fox shock. No complaints there. And my xt brakes stop on a dime. My giant dropper works...most of the time. Already have 27.5 and 1x11 gears

Mainly wanting to just reconfigure the cockpit. I ordered 780mm bars with 20mm rise and and a 60mm stem. Keep the wide bars and 60mm stem I just ordered? Something completely different? More of a riser to reduce hand fatigue? Worried this may feel to cramped due to the older Geo of the 575.

Would love to hear from the techy people in the comments. If this post annoys you, sorry. Some may love giving advice and nerd out on this stuff.
If you have too much weight on your wrists, it's most likely that you need to move your saddle back.

You might need to raise your handlebars

You might need a different handlebar bend : https://nsmb.com/articles/defying-convention-sqlab-12º-and-16º-sweep-bars/

If you love the bike I wouldn't worry about making it "modern", i'd focus on making it comfortable. There's a bunch of interesting info in this thread: https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/ripmo-hands-going-numb-1102594.html

I like the idea of popping in to say hi to the guys and gals at Yeti and seeking their opinion.

A professional bike fit would also be a very good idea. Do you have any knee/hip/back issues?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmm. i wonder what the best way to run wide bars is then? keeping the 90mm stem with wide bars would throw things off.

Can't wait to get that new 2020. dont mind a couple hundred to make this more comfortable for one more season though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.