Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help understanding what I' m experiencing from my new wheelset and many of you guys have a deeper understanding and insight than I ever will even though I'm not a noob. I've been planning to upgrade my stock wheels and stumbled onto a deal I couldn't refuse so ended up with much nicer wheels that I'd planned on - honestly they're better wheels than my riding calls for.

Stock wheels:

• V2 Comp AL rims (Devinci house brand)
  • FSA hubs
  • straight gauge spokes
  • 27.5 x 3.0 tires
  • Terrene Chunk front
  • Maxxis HR2 rear

Total weight of wheelset + rotors + tires = 4920

Upgraded wheels:

• Nox Rims
  • Onyx hubs
  • Sapim cxray spokes
  • 27.5 x 2.8 tires
  • Maxxis DHF front
  • Maxxis Rekon rear

Total weight of wheelset + rotors + tires = 4065

Clearly I dropped a lot of rotational weight and I expected to notice a difference. What I didn't expect is the magnitude of the difference. I'm not an aggressive rider but my bike is SO much faster and quicker now that I feel sometimes like it's getting away from me. Technical climbing take notably less effort and flowy descents are so smooth they're almost scary - yeah I'm getting more timid in my old age. I'm not complaining but I do find that I'm overshooting some high speed descending turns that I didn't before. I'm sure I'll adjust though ; )

Here's my question finally: lighter rims, stiffer rims, narrower tires, smoother rolling hubs, less aggressive treads ... I've changed so many variables all at the same time I can't figure out which one(s) are having the most notable impact. Sure, I know - all of them do and there's a combined effect - but if you ranked the factors that changed, how would you rank them in order of impact that I'm feeling?

On a side note, I'm surprised at how much difference in traction I'm noticing from only 0.2" narrower tires. Of course there's a volume difference too, but I'm missing my 3.0's at the moment. I'm not going to be too hasty and will give myself more time to acclimate to these.

I'm only two weeks on this change so a lot of my observations may be chalked up to the stark contrast; like driving test driving a Ferrari when your daily driver is a minivan.

·
This place needs an enema
17,092 Posts
Many people are really subconsciously "clocked" to the sound of their rear hub, and once that sound is gone they don't have a barometer for how fast they're going.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Just slow tires make a difference. I tried a 27.5 with 38 rims with 2 butcher it was like on brake compared to my 40 mm rims with a Cronicle and a Rekon. Try 1 less PSI for more traction.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many people are really subconsciously "clocked" to the sound of their rear hub, and once that sound is gone they don't have a barometer for how fast they're going.
Interesting point that never occurred to me. Surprising the FSA freehub is very nearly as quiet as my Onyx though notably less smooth.

Just slow tires make a difference. I tried a 27.5 with 38 rims with 2 butcher it was like on brake compared to my 40 mm rims with a Cronicle and a Rekon. Try 1 less PSI for more traction.
Yeah I had Chronicles before my current tires and did notice more drag with the Chunk/HR2, but these are faster still than the Chronicles were. I did forget to mention tire pressure and after having mine dialed in before I'm starting over with the new tires/wheels. So that's another reason I'm giving myself more time to adjust.

·
Rippin da fAt
10,555 Posts
I need help understanding what I' m experiencing from my new wheelset and many of you guys have a deeper understanding and insight than I ever will even though I'm not a noob. I've been planning to upgrade my stock wheels and stumbled onto a deal I couldn't refuse so ended up with much nicer wheels that I'd planned on - honestly they're better wheels than my riding calls for.

Stock wheels:

• V2 Comp AL rims (Devinci house brand)
  • FSA hubs
  • straight gauge spokes
  • 27.5 x 3.0 tires
  • Terrene Chunk front
  • Maxxis HR2 rear

Total weight of wheelset + rotors + tires = 4920

Upgraded wheels:

• Nox Rims
  • Onyx hubs
  • Sapim cxray spokes
  • 27.5 x 2.8 tires
  • Maxxis DHF front
  • Maxxis Rekon rear

Total weight of wheelset + rotors + tires = 4065

Clearly I dropped a lot of rotational weight and I expected to notice a difference. What I didn't expect is the magnitude of the difference. I'm not an aggressive rider but my bike is SO much faster and quicker now that I feel sometimes like it's getting away from me. Technical climbing take notably less effort and flowy descents are so smooth they're almost scary - yeah I'm getting more timid in my old age. I'm not complaining but I do find that I'm overshooting some high speed descending turns that I didn't before. I'm sure I'll adjust though ; )

Here's my question finally: lighter rims, stiffer rims, narrower tires, smoother rolling hubs, less aggressive treads ... I've changed so many variables all at the same time I can't figure out which one(s) are having the most notable impact. Sure, I know - all of them do and there's a combined effect - but if you ranked the factors that changed, how would you rank them in order of impact that I'm feeling?

On a side note, I'm surprised at how much difference in traction I'm noticing from only 0.2" narrower tires. Of course there's a volume difference too, but I'm missing my 3.0's at the moment. I'm not going to be too hasty and will give myself more time to acclimate to these.

I'm only two weeks on this change so a lot of my observations may be chalked up to the stark contrast; like driving test driving a Ferrari when your daily driver is a minivan.
Firstly, what Mike said is very true. I have a pair of Onyx and they are amazing, silent and have instant engagement that cannot be duplicated with a ratchet system.

Now it is down to feeling what the bike returns through pedals, grips and being in the real world since one indicator is no longer present. After the first run on my Onyx hubs I learned to look for the other items.

An experiment would be to throw the 3.0's on and take a reasonable ride and learn how different the 2.8's perform vs. 3.0's
The difference can be 2.8's with mild tread have far less rolling resistance than a 3.0 with an aggressive tread pattern.

Haul ass, have fun!

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
...there's a combined effect - but if you ranked the factors that changed, how would you rank them in order of impact that I'm feeling?
1) Tires- weight and rolling resistance improved
2) Hubs- a low resistance hub is pretty crazy, also the silence probably plays a psychological role as mentioned above
3) rims- Carbon rims just feel different, stiffer rims make it feel like you're maybe hitting things faster, giving the impression of speed

I bet volume loss isn't as much as you think, the traction change is probably due to the difference between the HR2 and Rekon, not the 3.0 to 2.8.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
1) Tires- weight and rolling resistance improved
2) Hubs- a low resistance hub is pretty crazy, also the silence probably plays a psychological role as mentioned above
3) rims- Carbon rims just feel different, stiffer rims make it feel like you're maybe hitting things faster, giving the impression of speed

I bet volume loss isn't as much as you think, the traction change is probably due to the difference between the HR2 and Rekon, not the 3.0 to 2.8.
If with proper PSI he feels the need for more traction from his Rekon he can reverse the mounting, it climbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.