Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping you guys can shed some light on my situation.

A few months ago I bought a 2011 Spec Comp that has a 9mm DT Swiss front QR. (side note: is that a called skewer or a thru-axle? It slips into dropouts, but the fork rests directly on it, not on the hub)

I just picked up a set of Crank Brothers Cobalt 2s on the cheap from chain love. I ordered the 9mm front hub, thinking this was the same as my current setup. Now that I have them, I see that it takes a 5mm QR, but the end caps have a 9mm outer diameter so they will fit in my fork. My question is: are there end caps I can purchase for the larger axle? If not, is it worth using these wheels - will the benefits in weight reduction be offset by the front end flex?

Thanks for helping this newbie out.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Hoping you guys can shed some light on my situation.

A few months ago I bought a 2011 Spec Comp that has a 9mm DT Swiss front QR. (side note: is that a called skewer or a thru-axle? It slips into dropouts, but the fork rests directly on it, not on the hub)

I just picked up a set of Crank Brothers Cobalt 2s on the cheap from chain love. I ordered the 9mm front hub, thinking this was the same as my current setup. Now that I have them, I see that it takes a 5mm QR, but the end caps have a 9mm outer diameter so they will fit in my fork. My question is: are there end caps I can purchase for the larger axle? If not, is it worth using these wheels - will the benefits in weight reduction be offset by the front end flex?

Thanks for helping this newbie out.
You have a standard 9mm open (QR) dropout fork.
The DT Swiss skewer is a 9mm through bolt. A through axle threads into the fork and must be removed from the bike to remove the wheel.

The Cobalts are the "normal" 9mm QR setup. AFAIK CB does not offer through bolt endcaps.

You may or may not notice a change in stiffness, and if you do it may not be because of the hub fitting.

·
since 4/10/2009
33,502 Posts
My 03 FSR came with one of those 9mm bolts (Skraxle) and when I replaced the wheelset, I put a standard QR front wheel on. I honestly have not noticed a difference in flex.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a Stumpy with a Talas fork with open dropouts. It was also equipped with the 9mm RWS system. I purchased the Sun Ringles Charger Pro wheelset, since the front hub was compatible with 9mm, 15mm, and 20mm adapters.

When I recieved the wheelset. I realized that the 9mm refered to standard QR, not a 9mm thru bolt. I ended up using the wheelset anyway with the standard QR and didn't notice any difference in stiffness. I would definitely go with the better wheelset, even if you need to run a standard QR.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your help. I'll be holding on to the CBs, and when it comes time to upgrade the fork I'll look to a 15mm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts