Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Purple Liquid said:
the cheapest way possible.
Don't shift? haha.

Just kidding. Take apart the crankset and run just the middle ring. Get a BMX cog for the rear in the "magic ratio" and shorten the chain. Space the cog with PVC.

If that's too cheap then add parts (spacer kit, nice cog, nice front ring, tensioner) as money allows. FWIW I rode my Fuel as a SS on several rides by just not shifting to see if this whole SS thing was interesting. It was so now I have a 2006 monocog frame to build up. :D

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
yup

Lose the shifters, derrailleurs, cables etc. Run your big ring as a Bash Guard and you won't need to buy shorter chainring bolts. Use PVC spacers and buy a nice rear cog. I like endless, but Surly's are nice too. ($30) When you wear out your chain ring, buy a sturdy one with no ramps and pins. They work better and cost the same. ($25) 1/8th inch chain is also a good investment, when the time comes. ($15)

The best tensioner so far is a Rennen Rollenlager, which are a little hard to find, but they are worth it. Magic ratios and spring loaded tensioners are sloppy at best. If you can't afford an ENO hub, use a Rennen. It pays to buy a decent chain too.

Around $100 should get you rolling in style. Enjoy.

·
Strongbow or Bust!!!!
435 Posts

·
w3rd.
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
I'm sticky
143 Posts
SS at no cost...

For no cash...
1. Remove the shifters, cables, and front derailleur.
2. Remove links from the chain to shorten it.
3. Screw in the limit screws on the rear derailleur (now the chain tensioner) so it doesn't move from the gear you choose.
4. Remove the cranks and remove the inner chainring, put cranks back on.

For a minimal investment...
1. Remove the cassette, break it open, and remove the cog you want to use.
2. Get a small amount of PVC and use it (and the cassette spacers) to hold the cog inline with the chainring.

A little more cash...
Add a real tensioner of some sort (Surly Sinlgeator, etc.).

·
lover of trees
85 Posts
Thanks for this thread...I'm in the process of converting my ghetto ss into a proper one and wasn't exactly sure what direction I wanted to take....but anything in here will be an improvement from what it is now.

:p

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Purple Liquid said:
It's pressed on,
Just run the chain in the middle chainring of the crank for now. When you decide you really like this riding style, get a different crank that has changeable rings, and consider a 180 mm crank when that is so. Then follow some of the other suggestions already posted in this thread. Have Fun!

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Purple Liquid said:
It's pressed on,
You have a couple of options with the cranks.

1) Leave them as they are and run in the middle ring, just in case you decide to go back to gears so no harm no foul.

2) If you don't plan to use gears anymore you can grind the teeth of the big ring and use it as a bash guard. Also remove the granny or grind it too.

3) Get a cheap used crankset and leave only the middle ring in the middle or outside position.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Why would you say this.... :confused:

Lutarious said:
Magic ratios and spring loaded tensioners are sloppy at best.
I won't tell my wife, she has been riding/racing a bike with a magic ratio for three years. She hasn't had a single problem, yet.
I rode a singulator, in push up mode,on my first convert for about a year, no problems.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.