Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been riding my Nixon Platinum for a few weeks now, and have been happy with the initial setup. It handles the (moderate) hits I take without any problems, and I haven't had any trouble with bottoming.

It has negligible bob under heavy peadaling, but has a little too much platform on long decents. I would like to tune it, but I can't find the instructions. So I am here looking for some help. :)

Current setup is:
Main Air 165-170 lbs
SPV Air 40lbs
SPV Volume - backed out (ccw) 1 and 3/4 turns
Damping - right in the middle.

These figures are what my pump reads when I add air. I don't know what is lost when I remove the pump.

I weigh around 178 wet and in full cycling gear.

I'm wondering what would you recommend for a little more supple ride, without excessive pedal bob. I don't stand very much, but am more interested in optimizing the setup for very steep climbs, and plush decents.

Oh, the frame is an Intense 5.5.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,978 Posts
mtnmasher said:
I'm wondering what would you recommend for a little more supple ride, without excessive pedal bob.
Not possible. Low speed impacts that the fork has to absorb are within the same range that causes the fork to move because of shifting weight (the bobbing).

So if you tune out bobbing, you're tuning out the ability of the fork to absorb those impacts and remain "supple".

The two things you are asking for are opposites. You're stating the benefit and crux of SPV in your post.

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
913 Posts
As a matter of fact, limits not of SPV alone, but what every shock manufacturer and riders are looking for, plush but no bob :confused: ... First check your sag, with SPV at that pressure should be ok, back out all the volume adjust and set air spring to get around 30-37mm sag. Test bike. I'm around your weight and run the SPV at 40-45psi, has worked for me. Dial volume adjuster if you bottom out. You'll have to play around until you get to the ballpark, when you do, SPV is set and forget. Go ride!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I want to have my cake and eat it too. Oh well.

I can give up a little platform for a more supple ride. I guess I just lower the SPV pressure to get this? Does SPV pressure affect sag? Does SPV volume affect sag?

Thanks,
-dg-

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Here is your manual.

Be aware that Manitou say that the fork needs at least 20 hours break in period to loosen up.

As you are relatively light you may not need to turn the SPV volume in (reduce volume), unless you are bottoming the fork out.

Your fork should not be loosing any pressure when you remove the pump. The hiss you hear is the pump depressurising. That said don't worry about the pressure too much. Just set the right amount of sag and remember how much pressure you need for that sag. My Nixon reduced the amount of pressure needed as it loosened up. Also be aware that you need to balance the main air spring pressure between the two IT chambers by deprseeing the IT control while pumping the fork.

Yes, SPV pressure affects sag. That is why you must first set the SPV pressure and then the sag.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I re-checked my settings and found the SPV volume is 1 3/4 turns in (cw), not out. So I guess it is OK where it is. I want the final travel to be a little progressive.

I reduced the air in the left leg to 125 lbs. and activated the paddle to equalize the pressure. (I didn't do that the first time.) The thing is, I still don't get more than 3/4" of sag at the most. There is some stiction because the seals havent broken in yet, but even if I push down on the fork and then release, it returns to within 1.4" of where it was. I am running 40 lbs of SPV pressure.

Also, when I was releasing pressure from the bottom of the left leg, a few drops of black oil came out of the nipple. I'm not worried about it, but curious if this is normal.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Oil comming out is normal, try turning it so the valve faces upwards. (bike upside down) dont fill the spv valve with the bike upside down or you will spray dampening fluid every were.!!!

As for the fork not returning all the way. If you lift your bike up and shake it the wheel should drop back to normal length. The weight of the bike affects sag too. This should go away after awhile after the thing wears in. For the break in period try increasing the pressure until you can press down on the bars and it returns to pretty close to the full length. If you have bigger problems with this it is because your quad ring seal is broken or torn.

To me 40 psi is alot, I use 15 psi, but to each his own.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
SLX said:
Oil comming out is normal, try turning it so the valve faces upwards. (bike upside down) dont fill the spv valve with the bike upside down or you will spray dampening fluid every were.!!!

As for the fork not returning all the way. If you lift your bike up and shake it the wheel should drop back to normal length. The weight of the bike affects sag too. This should go away after awhile after the thing wears in. For the break in period try increasing the pressure until you can press down on the bars and it returns to pretty close to the full length. If you have bigger problems with this it is because your quad ring seal is broken or torn.

To me 40 psi is alot, I use 15 psi, but to each his own.
I thought 30psi is min for fork SPV. When I put less than 30psi in my Minute3, it knocks and has no rebound damping. Damping comes in between 30-40psi for me.

I guess you can try lowering the SPV pressure 5psi at a time until the rebound goes away, then add 5psi and see how it rides.

·
Registered
658 Posts
fsrxc said:
I thought 30psi is min for fork SPV. When I put less than 30psi in my Minute3, it knocks and has no rebound damping. Damping comes in between 30-40psi for me.

I guess you can try lowering the SPV pressure 5psi at a time until the rebound goes away, then add 5psi and see how it rides.
You got me curous. I looked and the sticker on the side of the fork said what you said frsxc. 30-155.psi

I havent touched the spv valve since when i was breaking it in. I remember filling it up to 60 and 90 and it was too harsh. And have been running it at 15 psi since. I just put 35 psi in it and it feels much better, there is actualy rebound and the fork is much plusher. Interesting. ill check it out on the trails 2 night.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts