Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fragile
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the deal:

I have a 2004 Supergo Burner with the 3-Way on it. Love the frame, not so sure about the shock. I have the XR Rockers (bumping the Burner up from 3.6" to 4" of plushness) installed right now. Looks like almost everyone agrees that the RP3 is the shock to have on a Turner XC bike, so it's time for some UGI.

When I started looking at the numbers, I started to wonder if it didn't make 'more sense' to get a new Flux and move my Burner parts over. Besides, I have to try to keep up with the other lemmings, and this will definitely increase my poser status.

Here's my math:
$1595 for a Flux
- $300 for an eBay RP3 (maybe Larry can give me a price close to that on a new one?)
- $600 for the Tuner Frame exchange
- $125 for the XR rockers to be re-sold
-------
$570

In other words, buying the RP3 gets me around 1/3rd of they way to buying a new Flux.
I ride an XL Burner, and weigh almost 250 with gear. Am I asking for trouble with the lighter frame set of the Flux? I rarely break parts (just broke my first part in a long time: XT Cassette.) A 5 Spot is not an option right now, because I don't want to drop the scrilla on a new fork.

What do you guys think, call Larry and get an RP3 (what are those things going for these days anyway?) or, call Turner and get a new Flux? Is the Burner with the RP3 and the XR rockers better than the Flux for me considering my weight? Either way, I know it's going to lead to more costs: PUSHed RP3, custom frame color, etc. . .

Anything I am missing?

Of course, I am now going to take this time to show some pictures. These were taken at my regular riding location a couple of months ago, and are all from the same day:

http://picasaweb.google.com/eric.alan/TamaranchoRide (sorry for the linky, but was having trouble with the pics today)

·
I want that one
1,036 Posts
Mountain_Smith said:
I ride an XL Burner, and weigh almost 250 with gear. Am I asking for trouble with the lighter frame set of the Flux? I rarely break parts (just broke my first part in a long time: XT Cassette.) A 5 Spot is not an option right now, because I don't want to drop the scrilla on a new fork.
Mr Smith, sounds like what you really want/need is a 5 Spot. If it was me i would stick it out with the swinger for a little longer till i could afford to swap out the frame and fork.

btw, cant see the pics

·
Fragile
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PSI said:
Mr Smith, sounds like what you really want/need is a 5 Spot. If it was me i would stick it out with the swinger for a little longer till i could afford to swap out the frame and fork.

btw, cant see the pics
Removed the embedded pics, added a linky instead. Thanks for the heads up.

I figured at least one person would say that I needed a 5 Spot. The money is there for a 5 Spot and a fork, I'd just like to avoid it if possible. One rung at a time up the Turner ladder. . .but that could change if everyone talkes me into it! :devil:

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
mr mtn, or is it smitty?

as much as id like to talk ya into a flux trade without battin a eye, theres some stuff to ponder. at yer size ya might see some front tri flex that makes ya nervous. it doesnt affect handeling as far as ive seen and heard but its there none the less. if ya have the slightest intent to play hard, go for the spot. otherwise the flux is a absolute dream machine! makes the burner look like last weeks leftover pizza. eatable, sure, but wouldnt a fresh one be better? yes! yes it will.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The Flux trade is tempting for monetary reasons, and the Flux is one sweet ride, but at 250 I'd look at the Spot to increase your riding options. I'm 225 with gear and have been riding my Flux for about two weeks. No problems or noticeable frame flex yet, but if I were any heavier, I'd have gone with the Spot for sure.

EDIT: Nice pics. Looks like you're getting your money's worth out of that Burner.

·
12,942 Posts
yer also 5' nuthin like me. big diff in the xl front tri's stiffness factor. like i said, i know hes gonna be fine on it unless he starts playin hardball. so how is that new toy treatin ya? yet to do any ridin myself and after todays meeting it doesnt look like ill be doin any soon. it was a good day but still miles to go.

·
Registered
413 Posts
5' nuthin? Maybe when I was 12. :D I'd hate to see how 225 lbs would hang on me if I were any shorter than 6'1". But yeah, you're right about the XL frame. I ignored that.

The new toy is treating me real nice. Having a heck of a time dialing everything in though. I went to a slightly shorter stem and I've been playing with the handlebar/shifter/brakes setup. And it may be months before I get the shock and fork exactly where I want it. All things aside, the bike really rips and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I'm sneaking out early today and taking it for a spin around the local loop.

Email me with an update of where things stand on your end. Sounds like you're making progress, but you just got some stuff added to the to-do list. Keep your head up and take it on one step at a time.

I'll probably email you with some questions about planning for the Moab trip.

·
12,942 Posts
i thought ya were on a med. my bad. glad the bike is bringin smiles. very cool.

im about to send ya some stuff. is a file ok?

mmmmmmmmmmm-oab! that enchilada looks tasty, dont it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.