Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Good Morning

I am in that wierd height between 5' 11'' and 6' with no more than a 33-34 inseam and have a 19 inch Unit 2-9 frame. It seems to fit me well despite an almost non existent stand over height (no big deal for me). I'm certain a 20 inch frame would be to big for ME. But for you it's hard for me to say. Jim

·
Registered
192 Posts
Get the 20

I'm slightly shorter than you although with shorter legs, so longer arms/torso. I started with a 19 and it never felt right to me. I got a 20 and with a 120mm stem it felt great although it's pointing down for me with the tall headtube on the bike. I do tend to like longer stems if I'm riding regularly though. As a reference in recent years I've been on a 19.5" Trek 8500, 20" kula, and a 20" Mokomoko and they all fit me fine. My old specialized 19" was a little small.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm 6'2", 35.5" inseam too...

I had a 26 inch Kona HT (King Kahunna) in a 19". My brother had the same bike in a 20" (he's 6'3") I really struggled with the same question when I ordered my 29er Moots last year between 19 and 20". I could ride my 19 or my bros 20" frame and felt totally comfortable but I used a longer stem. (120) Looking at the Moots and Kona spec/sizing I could tell they were nearly identical. In the end I think you have to size these compact frames by top tube and standover to get it right.
I got the Moots in a 19 because I wanted the laid back post with a 120 stem and the shortest wheelbase possible for my 29er. It fits me perfectly, but I could have a easily done the 20 with a straight seatpost and a 100-110 stem to make the top tube length work. Standover may have been a little tighter on the 20 as well. Arm length could play a part too as I am long in the arms.
I think you can do either depending on your components (stem and seatpost) and you'll be fine.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Aldone said:
Hello

I'm 6' 2" with a 35.5 "inseam (1.88 m inseam 91cm)

Which size is right for me? 19" or 20"?

OT does the top tube of 29" bikes need to be longer than 26" frames

Thanks
Aldone, let us know if you buy or get a test ride on any Konas. I'm also 6'2" with about a 35.5 inseam and am looking at the 2-9 in 20" (not even considering the 19, and the 22's head tube and standover are truly massive), or a Mary SS 20" or a Monocog Flight 21" - whichever fits best. The Flight 21" might be a nice fit for the leggy b/c the ETT is only 24.5".

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am 6'2" with 35" inseam also. Im riding a 20" unit 2-9. It is 20" from the center of the BB to the seatpost collar. Keep in mind the seattube neck is 3" long, so center of BB to center of top tube is only 17".
I use a 400mm thomson seatpost with about 10" exposed above the clamp. This puts the saddle 32.5" above the bottom bracket and 43.5" off the ground.
Actual top tube is 23.5" and level effective top tube is 24.5"
With a reba, 140mm x 5 degree stem, and a low rise easton monkeylite bar, the handlebar grips are 44" off the ground.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
skifastchad said:
I am 6'2" with 35" inseam also. Im riding a 20" unit 2-9. It is 20" from the center of the BB to the seatpost collar. Keep in mind the seattube neck is 3" long, so center of BB to center of top tube is only 17".
I use a 400mm thomson seatpost with about 10" exposed above the clamp. This puts the saddle 32.5" above the bottom bracket and 43.5" off the ground.
Actual top tube is 23.5" and level effective top tube is 24.5"
With a reba, 140mm x 5 degree stem, and a low rise easton monkeylite bar, the handlebar grips are 44" off the ground.
Wow, great informative post. Thanks.

10" of seatpost exposed and the seat is still below the top of the handlebars! Do you know if the Reba pushed the front end up a bit?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Ryder1 said:
Wow, great informative post. Thanks.

10" of seatpost exposed and the seat is still below the top of the handlebars! Do you know if the Reba pushed the front end up a bit?
I run my Unit 2-9, with a Reba at 100mm of travel, and the front end is pretty high. I have Thomson zero degree rise stem, with Easton EA70 low rise bars, and a 3mm spacer between the headset and stem. This ends up with the handle bars being about 5mm above the seat. If you run a Niner flat bar or Salsa flat bar, you could have the bars about 15 to 20mm below the saddle. I hope this helps.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
Oliver said:
Get the 20" I am 6,1" with a 32" inseam, and the 20" is too big for me. I wish I would have got the 19"
i'm the exact opposite. i am 6' 1" with a 33 inch inseam, and i had to sell my 19 because it was too small. wish i'd have gotten the 20...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.