Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently acquired a maxi cooker and I am really enjoy it. The geometry feels great and I am ready to start upgrading it. I have about $200 to spare. How can I really shed some weight of it? Wheels? Stem? Seat post? Shoot!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I had a boat anchor bike. Two major things I did to improve weight: 1) Tubeless, I used the fattystrippers. 2) I used Kenda Juggernaut Pro tires. They are OK, but are not the grippiest. I did not have the issues with rolling resistance like some people say, but the loose over hard grip was not great.

Then I bought a new bike...

·
Rippin da fAt
10,281 Posts
Break out your platinum card... As for tubeless on those rims, if the tires fall away from the sides of em when you let the air out, you are looking at a total pita setup.

1. As mentioned above, Jumbo Jim Liteskin is an easy weight loss.
2. If tubeless is gonna be a bear, change to Surly Lite tubes.

On the more coin to throw at it front...

1. Carbon fork
2. Lighter wheels (Capable of tubeless).

Meanwhile, ride it, have a good time and sooner than later it will make ya stronger!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,771 Posts
Add some weight to it: A revelate frame bag.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a boat anchor bike. Two major things I did to improve weight: 1) Tubeless, I used the fattystrippers. 2) I used Kenda Juggernaut Pro tires. They are OK, but are not the grippiest. I did not have the issues with rolling resistance like some people say, but the loose over hard grip was not great.

Then I bought a new bike...
Do you think is worth it going tubeless with the stock wheels or should I try replacing the wheels with lighter ones?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Break out your platinum card... As for tubeless on those rims, if the tires fall away from the sides of em when you let the air out, you are looking at a total pita setup.

1. As mentioned above, Jumbo Jim Liteskin is an easy weight loss.
2. If tubeless is gonna be a bear, change to Surly Lite tubes.

On the more coin to throw at it front...

1. Carbon fork
2. Lighter wheels (Capable of tubeless).

Meanwhile, ride it, have a good time and sooner than later it will make ya stronger!
Which wheels would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Do you think is worth it going tubeless with the stock wheels or should I try replacing the wheels with lighter ones?
Good wheels are expensive. I don't know your budget. I set up very cheap wheels tubeless using the fattystripper and the foam strip to retain tire position. Between the lighter tires and the loss of tubes I lost almost 4 pounds off the bike.

·
turtles make me hot
11,663 Posts
The cheapest, lightest, best tubeless wheels you can build are Alex Blizzerks in either 70 or 90mm laced to Bike Hub Store hubs. This is going to blow right through your 200 dollar budget but you end up with better wheels by a long shot.

I have Surly My Other Brother Darryls on my fat bike which are made by Alex. They replaced Clownshoes which were huge and heavy. When I switched to the Darryls, it transformed the bike.

What's the drivetrain on that bike? I looked at the pic and it looks like I see a front derailleur cable. You could get a single ring from Wolftooth. If you lose the shifter, cable, front derailleur and second ring you could lose up to a pound. If it's already a single, then never mind.

In all seriousness, you could lighten up every part of that bike but nothing is going to be better than lighter, tubeless wheels.

·
Registered
542 Posts
For $200 your options are very limited. Take a crap, lose the kickstand, and get some lighter tires are about your only options. Oh, and riding more so you'll get stronger and won't notice the extra weight as much.

When you have some $$$ to spend, better wheels, tubeless, and a better seat are easy, quick, and worthwhile upgrades.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Don't buy anything from Bikeinn, I had a not fun time disputing a charge when I returned an unopened item. They ship from Spain, which complicates things. And the owner is rather ornery. That is the nice way to put it.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Possibly crankset and or bottom bracket and pedals. You might find something on sale that fits.

But I agree, tire set-up will give the most lost weight for the cost.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.