Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to be anal this year about getting all my training hours in each week, especially during base trainig. I'm in my 3rd month of base training, supposed to do 14 hours this week. Up thru Friday I had 13 hours in the saddle, including a couple long ride, but for the weekend, i'm up in a snowy area where the road are not looking good...in fact its snowing right now. I brought my bike/trainer to get in the final hour(which would probably be just some spinsup and one leg drills) . However, I went snowshoeing for 2 hours yesterday...and really don't feel like getting the bike out of the car and set it up on the trainer. So, can I count the snowshoeing as the 14th hour of training for the week (which was gonna probably be just some spinsup and one leg drills) and feel satisfied I got all my training in, or do I need to pull the bike out and get in the one hour spin?

Help me rationalize......

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
In terms of hours...

I'd say you're fine and not to worry about it. On the other hand, if you don't snow shoe regularly, an easy 1 hour spin on the trainer may prove a great recovery and leave your legs feeling more fresh (or at least less sluggish) starting next week.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Unless you're looking to win your 8th Tour D'France ;) don't beat yourself up over petty training details this time of year. You'll risk psychological burn out early in the race season. Personally, I like to mix things up this time of year, between riding, xc skiing and dh skiing. That way, I'm mentally fresh and "hungry" when the real riding season starts. IMO, xc skiing is fantastic aerobic base and core training in the winter, it just takes a few weeks to remember how to pedal in circles, and to lose 3-5 pounds of upper body muscle once the snow melts, and riding starts for real.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sarah K said:
I've also heard from some coaches that 20 minutes on the trainer equals one hour of regular riding - because the effort is so much more steady. Just a thought if you are having trouble talking yourself into a ride on the trainer ;)
I believe you have that a little confused.... I think it's 20% more work on a trainer. ie, 10 miles on a trainer = 12 road miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.