Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to be anal this year about getting all my training hours in each week, especially during base trainig. I'm in my 3rd month of base training, supposed to do 14 hours this week. Up thru Friday I had 13 hours in the saddle, but for the weekend, i'm up in a snowy area where the road are not looking good...in fact its snowing right now. I brought my bike/trainer to get in the final hour. However, I went snowshoeing for 2 hours yesterday...and really don't feel like getting the bike out of the car and set it up on the trainer. So, can I count the snowshoeing as the 14th hour of training for the week and feel satisfied I got all my training in, or do I need to pull the bike out and get in the one hour spin?

Help me rationalize......

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
If you are counting your hours, you are probably tracking your heart rate too. What did the HRM tell you during the snowshoeing?

·
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
perttime said:
If you are counting your hours, you are probably tracking your heart rate too. What did the HRM tell you during the snowshoeing?
Forgot to put on the monitor, but it was pretty rigorous, much more than I thought it would be. Probably a good amount of time in zone 2....

·
my road bike is a Harley
87 Posts
I think you are being way to anal about your weekly hours. If you are just going to be mindlessly spinning away just to add another hour to your weekly total, then I would say skip the ride and count the snowshoeing as the 14th hour, but that's just my opinion.

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
Skip it!

bigdudecycling said:
I'm trying to be anal this year about getting all my training hours in each week, especially during base trainig. I'm in my 3rd month of base training, supposed to do 14 hours this week. Up thru Friday I had 13 hours in the saddle, but for the weekend, i'm up in a snowy area where the road are not looking good...in fact its snowing right now. I brought my bike/trainer to get in the final hour. However, I went snowshoeing for 2 hours yesterday...and really don't feel like getting the bike out of the car and set it up on the trainer. So, can I count the snowshoeing as the 14th hour of training for the week and feel satisfied I got all my training in, or do I need to pull the bike out and get in the one hour spin?

Help me rationalize......
Snowshoeing counts for sure. If you are dreading doing a workout that much, skip it, enjoy yourself and enter the next week with a fresh attitude. An hour of spinning isn't going to make-break anything, but burning out certainly will. I was planning to do a much longer ride today, but I cut in half because it was in the low 20's with the wind chill.

·
Registered
417 Posts
This time of the year (or really any time of the year) missing an hour isn't going to ruin a season. Base is all about aerobic/endurance training which it sounds like you got on snowshoes.

Worrying too much about hitting all your hours will lead to burn-out come spring and summer when the races actually happen.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
quality, not quantity. don't worry about 1 hour, unless it is the most important work out of the week (specific thing you are working on).

that one hour does not hold the special key to make it all fall into place. no harm done.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Actually, I think that two hours on snowshoes may have put you one hour above your quota... :D

Forcing yourself to do stuff usually isn't great for motivation.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
yikes

Getting that anal about hours will lead to burnout IMO. This time of year X-training is perfecty acceptable.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I would definitly count snowshoeing as strength training. Also I would not worry about being one hour off so early in a training program.

I was doing some back country snowboarding over New Years and was amazed at how sore i was from the trips up ( on climbing skins but snow shoes would be similar).

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
During winter months, I believe

1hour snowshoe = 1 hour bike

and

as long as: total snowshoe hours < total bike hours (during a given week), then your fine.

For me, snowshoeing is much tougher than bike in many ways. It's a great workout for sure!!!

·
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. The bike/trainer never left the car. Snowshoeing was great! and one heck of a leg workout. I got a 2 hour massage afterwards which warded off some soreness I definitely would have had afterwards. And good for me, this week is a light/recovery week, so i'm gonna get in a few bike miles during the week, then head back to the mountains for some more snowshoeing on the weekend!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.