Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About ready to pull the trigger on one of the burners on special. I've done a lot of soul-searching and i think i've finally come to the conclusion that the geometry and amount of travel is right on for my riding style (epic cross country in pisgah, like to go downhill AND uphill as fast as possible, occasional race, trials) I would like a bike with enough travel to be comfortable but has no need for SPV to be efficient.

Anyway, I have some questions about the burner:

1. I'm fairly certain the small is the right size for me, but not absolutely sure. I currently ride a 15.5" Trek 8000 hardtail w/ a 105mm stem and most of the time it feels about perfect. every once in a while, it feels a little cramped but for tight technical trails, i think i like to err a little on the small side if at all. so does anyone know how the small burner compares? i am confused by top tube measurements between manufacturers. trek lists the effective toptube for the 8000 as 21.7" and turner lists the burner as 22.2".....doesn't seem like they would be that different. btw, i am 5' 6.5" with roughly a 30" inseam. If the frame were a little longer, it would be fine...do not want any shorter for sure though.

2. I would like to get the 4" rockers I have seen mentioned. Anyone know the status on those and if it would be too late to get in on that. Also, can the shock that comes with the frame be used with those rockers (float rl or manitou swinger) or would it require a different shock as well?

3. Is there enough travel even with 3.6" for comfort on long rides? looking for a full mostly for seated comfort. currently using a thudbuster with the hardtail, and it doesn't really feel like it does a whole lot.

Thanks to anyone who reads all of this! anything else you can tell me would be appreciated. i don't know anywhere around to demo this bike, but everything looks right on with it.

Josh

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
1. My wife used to ride a 15.5 Trek 8000 and now has a Small Burner. She's 5'5 1/2 w/ a 29" or so inseam and it seems to fit really well w/ a 90mm stem. She occasionally felt a little cramped on the Trek.

2. If you get the 4" rockers you will be able to reuse your shock. It's simply upping the leverage ratio from 2.33 to 2.66. Not sure you'll be able to notice the difference between 3.5 and 4 inches of fravel though.

3. I had a thudbuster and it's NOTHING like a FS bike. How comfortable a FS bike is on longer rides depends on how long and what terrain (although I understand Pisgah is pretty tough riding) . I would think it would be much more comfortable than a HT w/ a Thudbuster. I've ridden my XCE w/ an air shock ~30 miles on very rough terrain and I was fine. I've taken the XCE w/ the Fox vanilla on the same trails for ~40 miles and I didn't feel that beat up. I'm planning on doing a 70 or so mile race in WV and I'll be putting an air shock on the XCE (basically a Burner at that point).

Dave

·
... I guess you won't be
1,974 Posts
I rode a 1999 Burner w/ only 2.8" of rear travel [fox alps 5R] for over five years. While I now own a 5-spot [I wanted a cush machine], I sometimes miss my ol' zippy burner.....The amazing thing about that bike, is that it always felt as if it had way more travel than it actually did. It was my [midwest] freeride bike as well as my xc race bike.

Don't get hung up on "only" 3.5" of rear travel. It's a perfect example of quality over quantity.

Get the Burner, you will really dig it.

·
Premium Member
7,610 Posts
I'm not a good advertistement but I have a pair of the 4" rockers and haven't even put them on. The bike feels so good with 3.5" it is unreal. If I had more time I would try the 4" and play around but at this point, I am happy to ride 3 times a week.

·
BODYSNATCHER
287 Posts
Go for it!! But I have a question....

Well, I did it. Yesterday I bought the Burner on sale at superho and the building begins....I am not sure about some of these build kits, tho. The XT is a top swing/bottom pull (or the opposite) my point is the Turner website says its the opposite of the specs for the Xt front der. Those of you who built yer own (that's all of us, right?), what components did ya use? TIA. BTW on sale w/ tax, 910.55. SWWWEEEEETTTT

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
mr magu said:
Well, I did it. Yesterday I bought the Burner on sale at superho and the building begins....I am not sure about some of these build kits, tho. The XT is a top swing/bottom pull (or the opposite) my point is the Turner website says its the opposite of the specs for the Xt front der. Those of you who built yer own (that's all of us, right?), what components did ya use? TIA. BTW on sale w/ tax, 910.55. SWWWEEEEETTTT
34.9 top pull/bottom swing (ie: XT 761, XTR 961) front der., 27.2 post, 73/113 BB.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
Registered
22 Posts
best price?

mr magu said:
supergo lists the burner w/ Manitou for $949...how did you get it for $910?

·
BODYSNATCHER
287 Posts
Lestonian said:
supergo lists the burner w/ Manitou for $949...how did you get it for $910?
Yeah...they had an in store rebate, and I think it ends tomorrow! So, $100.00 off of the already low price of $949.00!! No, I don't work there, I just got a great deal, now I need to build the bike!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.