Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm looking for some help with choosing my next project and thought i would ask the advice of all you guys from across the pond because i cant make my mind up. So basically I'm looking for advice and ideas on which frame i should buy. My only real criteria is that the frame must be from the mid nineties, be of v.good quality, not too common and possibly have quite a sloping top tube as this is the look i like stemming from a long love of Konas'. In my stable already are a '95 Kilauea and a '93 Attitude Sea and Sky. I've had some suggestions from the boys over on Retrobike already which included a RM Altitude, a Pace, Eastern Woods Research, Brodie Sovereign and one of my favourites a DeKerf. At the moment i'm leaning towards the RM and the Dekerf purely because from what i can gather they will be a lot easier to come across this decade than the Brodie and EWR. Any input and advice you guys can give me will be well received. Please note that to keep the mods happy this is def not a wanted ad and i'm only looking for advice, at the moment. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
The problem with looking for a very specific rare frame, is that they are difficult to find (especially in the size you need). I'd suggested that you have a list of a several frames, and then keep your eyes open for any of them. Otherwise you may be in for a long wait.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that that is basically what the bikes i have mentioned before are i.e. on my list. well all of them apart from the Pace as despite the fact that i think they're nice looking bikes i've heard of a few issues with them snapping. Really just looking for more info on bikes that are maybe found more in the States than over here in Europe e.g. the Brodie and EWR. Got any ideas for me Laffeaux?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Well...you already have one Kona and a Klein, why not mix it up.

If it were me, shoot for the Brodie...maybe end up with a DeKerf.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
haggis1978 said:
Got any ideas for me Laffeaux?
When you're looking for bikes where there were 10-500 frames made 10+ years ago, you take what you can get.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The early 90's Blizzards are really nice. All you can do at this point is keep watching the obvious Buy and Sell classifieds. Scour the net every day - a frame will come. But be prepared to pay asking price which is sometimes way high. I searched for the Stars and Bars for (2) years... the Universe answered.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Something else - If you like the sloping top tube then don't discount the mid 90's Voodoo Bizango. (Kona styling) If I'm not mistaken they were made in the USA ; designed by Joe Murray until he sold in (98?) These frames were light! Tange Ultimate Superlight MTB tubing. "S" bend seat stays, Ritchey drop outs, offset head tube, etc... Nice frames.

Mine frame is under 1800 grams (19.5" C to T)

voodoo02.jpg

·
artistic...
7,593 Posts
voodoo and kona are so similar....

i would buy a ritchey.
england has enough of fat chances and konas and kleins. it's boring..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts