Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a Kryptonite coil lock my friend gave me about a year ago. Pass code ●●●5 the default and I've never changed the combination as I never had the pamphlet, and use a Kryptonite u bar as well for greater security

Tonight I rode my Red Cannondale Jekyll down town, and locked it up with the coil combo lock through the rear triangle and back tire to post. I locked my front tire and front triangle with the U Bar Lock.

When I left the store my bike coil combo lock wouldn't unlock. I tried knocking it against my frame and no luck. Any suggestions on how to get it unstuck?? It acts as though the combination somehow changed when I locked it and scrambled the dial. Tonight it is around 30F so just below freezing. It doesn't seem like temperature should affect a mechanical lock unless water somehow got in there.

I hate to leave my bike unattended, and would really like to get this resolved in the morning. I took off my seat and QR skewer and brought those with me but I still don't trust it downtown with all the drunks. It is an older bike but still probably worth $500

THANKS

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
Leave the U lock on it also. Maybe someone changed the combo hoping you'd leave it with only that lock and then come get it later.
If it were me, I'd come back with tools and cut it loose.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leave the U lock on it also. Maybe someone changed the combo hoping you'd leave it with only that lock and then come get it later.
If it were me, I'd come back with tools and cut it loose.
Thank you for your quick reply. Yes I took off the front tire so I could get it tight against the frame and locked it all tight to the steel post with the U Lock.

The coil lock seems to be stuck. I was only in the store for probably 15 minutes, although it is possible someone reset it. Lots of people out downtown Friday night and bike theivery is prevalent where I live.

I had a $500 entry level hard tail with disc brakes stolen on campus a few years back and learned the value of U Bar Locks. I then biked for two years problem free.
Three weeks ago my luck changed when about $80 of gear was stolen off my bike including seat post, seat, seat, rear fender, and front and rear lights and I found some real nice Bolt Cutter marks in my U Bar Lock. I have been paranoid since then about my bike. Keeping it inside whenever at friends houses etc. I thought using two locks would be safer and I got the coil one for free so I will try to get a hold of some bolt cutters or call lock Smith or something for the coil lock.

·
Registered
970 Posts
An angle grinder ($20 at Harbor Freight) will go through the U-bar in 60 seconds. It will go through the cable in 15 seconds. Cut the cable and take your bike home ASAP.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An angle grinder ($20 at Harbor Freight) will go through the U-bar in 60 seconds. It will go through the cable in 15 seconds. Cut the cable and take your bike home ASAP.
Yikes. Scary how easy it must be for bike theives. Well I am having my roommate drive me back to my bike tonight in a half hour and I'm going to bring hex keys to take the handlebars/stem home with me along with the rear derailleur, shifter, and drop the fork out. Hopefully this will discourage anyone from touching it tonight. All that will be left is my rotor less rear wheel, and the frame locked with the U Bar and coil. Unfortunately most the value is in the frame and Float rear shock but I will hope no one comes by with something that can cut it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
i feel you pain. I had a 3.5k bike stolen off the back of my 4wd a few years ago at a uni. someone had taken bolt cutters to it. luckily it was insured but still pissed me off. now i have a heavyweight bastard of a chain lock with key to stop thieves.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
If it's temp related or frozen somehow, you can solve that quickly with some hot water in a thermos.

Pissing on it works in a jam too. But if it's not frozen you sure will make your buddy laugh.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I got my bike back today. Tried everything yesterday, but I had to buy a $25 set of bolt cutters. Snipped through the broken or combo reset Kryptonite coil lock effortlessly. I'm so thankful I had my Kryptonite U Lock on the bike a few weeks ago when theives tried to steal it (big bolt cutter marks in the U part of the lock),

I have a Cutter U Lock from a couple years ago I lost both the keys for. Does anyone know if its possible to send these in for a few and get them rekeyed?

If not I'm probably just going to invest in another U Lock as I saw how worthless any cable lock would be if bike theives came along.

·
Registered
312 Posts
This is probably what happened you have a piece of rock or a broken piece of aluminum jamming up the works I've seen both. It might have changed the combination try every possible combination one number off there will only be 8 of these. kryptonite locks have aluminum shafts I have broken two of these with my bare hands though it hurts like hell and gives me blood blisters. You can break these with a hammer easy enough. Or use a hack saw go right between two of the number rings.

·
Registered
14,883 Posts
Update: I got my bike back today. Tried everything yesterday, but I had to buy a $25 set of bolt cutters. Snipped through the broken or combo reset Kryptonite coil lock effortlessly.

Too late for you but for anyone else who needs to cut a cable lock a $10 pair of side cutters (that you probably already have) will cut through most cable locks in less than a minute. They won't cut the whole cable but you can snip one or two strands at a time with the tip of the cutter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts