Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
NorCal Trail Rides
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for your opinions on this intro trailer vid. They are supposed to catch attention and interest.

So two questions:

1. Does it catch attention?

2. What could be improved?

Serving the MTB community is key, so let me know what other channels may generally lack and whats important to you. The goal here is to improve the experience and obviously build an audience.

Thanks!

EDIT...this is the updated Trailer

Jarrod

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
There's some nice terrain. That's kinda that good.

You really lost me at "hold on, I gotta pump up my tire" but I kept watching to try to give you some honest tips.
Music - the real problem with putting music on something like this is you have a very riff driven tune that feels like it's repeating over and over and over and over. If you must use music like that, start the volume low, and bring it up, or start it high and bring it down, let us hear the crash, give us a little wind noise - the music itself gets monotonous and becomes a turn-off in spite of the quick-hook riff that's supposed to "drive" the video.

Video angles - better angles, and more of them. I know you didn't plan to crash, but I'd love to have seen an off-board angle of the rock garden, which would have resulted in an off-board video of the crash, maybe. Yes, it takes more time, requires more thought and intention - but all those things will by default make any of your videos better.

Hope that helps some.

(PS - not just talking crap. I've got a degree in audio production and entertainment technology. I could get paid handsomely for post production sound work if I didn't like building trail so much.)

·
NorCal Trail Rides
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's some nice terrain. That's kinda that good.

You really lost me at "hold on, I gotta pump up my tire" but I kept watching to try to give you some honest tips.
Music - the real problem with putting music on something like this is you have a very riff driven tune that feels like it's repeating over and over and over and over. If you must use music like that, start the volume low, and bring it up, or start it high and bring it down, let us hear the crash, give us a little wind noise - the music itself gets monotonous and becomes a turn-off in spite of the quick-hook riff that's supposed to "drive" the video.

Video angles - better angles, and more of them. I know you didn't plan to crash, but I'd love to have seen an off-board angle of the rock garden, which would have resulted in an off-board video of the crash, maybe. Yes, it takes more time, requires more thought and intention - but all those things will by default make any of your videos better.

Hope that helps some.

(PS - not just talking crap. I've got a degree in audio production and entertainment technology. I could get paid handsomely for post production sound work if I didn't like building trail so much.)
Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I'm looking for your opinions on this intro trailer vid. They are supposed to catch attention and interest.

So two questions:

1. Does it catch attention?

2. What could be improved?

Serving the MTB community is key, so let me know what other channels may generally lack and whats important to you. The goal here is to improve the experience and obviously build an audience.

Thanks!

Jarrod
For an intro trailer, video is too long at a minute 17. I think because each of the clips is too long. I think a teaser trailer to grab attention should highlight a couple seconds at most of an exciting thing. Take off a big jump, no landing. 3 seconds of rock garden. Things like that. I'm guessing, but try 30 seconds or so. Remember our attention span these days is next to nothing.

I do think the music is too loud. I'm moving more away from music than towards music these days with my own videos. Or finding a mix of when to throw music in certain parts of a video vs. not.
Part of the thought of the music for the trailer is ...... what is the video going to be that you produce. Will the loud and fast music suit the rest of your video? Are all of your videos going to suit loud and fast music? If so, the trailer may fit right in. That's just an opinion of course, but I really dislike a video that starts with over the top loud music then goes into a muted/muffled rest of the video. For example, choose no music for your next video and now I can't hear talking or tire scrub because I needed to turn down the intro a lot.

If you have a DB meter in your video editor, shoot for -12db max, or something stable with low sounds within your video. Watch for music or sound peaks and adjust accordingly for those loud spots. For instance, you're cruising along and do something that scares or excites you and you yell. It's been a pretty quiet video up to that point -turn down the volume at your scream so we don't get blasted (if you intended to make videos like that).

And a personal preference of my own, I'm not a fan of high frame rates. To me it makes things look artificial. That's subjective though.
This can't be helped I'm sure, but I am not a fan of Hero7 and it's stabilization (for mountain biking).

Good luck and thanks for sharing.
Post up a shorter clip if you choose to shorten it up.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Pretty much what others have already said above.. music and camera angles.

I personally detest music on mtb videos. So much so that when I added a drone to my armory (which means zero audio) I had to pick up a lav mic and audio recorder just to start recording ambient audio/other crap so the drone bits arent silent. Aside from my first video using drone footage, I simply refuse to just overlay music. =)

I'd make some exception for very subtle, low volume background music, but even that can be annoying if not done right. I guess I'm just more a fan of the sound of the tires meeting the ground.

As for the angles, my gripe is more with the angle of the camera used (vs. the also-very-valid point of getting other angles off body, or mounted elsewhere like on the bike, helmet, facing back, etc.) I have a hard time with it myself, but that chest cam needs to point up more. While the lower angle helps show the terrain and speed a bit, the whole frame ends up as just a blur of handlebars.

Oh, and yeah, duration... I have a friend who launched a 4x4 overlanding type channel. His videos all start with the intro clip. In his case I think theyre even longer than yours, and even at a minute, I consider that way too much. If you're only catering to the one-off traffic (ie, people who have never seen the channel before and NEED some kind of intro) then there's some argument for more up front, but in general, keep it short. I don't even bother with one, but if I did, it'd be 15 seconds max.

When you build up an audience who has already seen your videos, the last thing they want is to waste another minute watching an intro they've already seen many times before.

FWIW, a slightly less annoying method that seems to be happening both on youtube and on broadcast TV that I've noticed would be shows/episodes starting out with the actual show right off the bat, then at some sort of interesting point early on, cutting to the 'intro' bit, then back to the show. Intro credits don't run on the show Archer til a few minutes into the episode, for example. This method lets ya force that thing down your viewers throats without loosing them at the very start. And if done right, those first few minutes of content hook them so they suffer through the intro for some closure to see the rest of the episode.

Disclaimer: I'm quite shitty at the actual production of mtb video stuff. Still just learning. The above stuff is just what i know i prefer to see when watching stuff.

·
Registered
223 Posts
YouTube says the video at the first link you posted is private, so I wasn't able to view it. I did watch the video at the second link. Is this going to be a channel trailer video or an intro to be used at the beginning of all other future videos? The action and scenes etc are good but if it's going to be included in other videos as an into then its WAAAY too long. it needs to be 5 seconds MAX if used for that purpose. Otherwise I think it's good!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.