Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, for the pimp factor I know the answer, but I need justification to spend my husbands money on what could be excess gucci.

Options for the wheelset on the Pending 6 pack:

1. Bongrager Big Earls wheel set - $500canadian (Lee would be sooo happy!)
http://www.bontrager.com/Mountain/Wheelworks/Wheels/14438.php

2. Mavic 519 rims
XT rear Hub
King Front Hub - ~$760 full retail, I'll probably get a bit of a deal.
(nothing that a bit of $ex won't make right!)

I will be climbing on this bike for the North Shore stuff, will do some days in the Whistler and Sun Peaks bike park.

Thoughts?

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Brodiegrrl, I don't know anything about the bontragers. They look wide, but the inside width is more important than the overall outside width. I have been riding a pair of mavic 519's for years. They hold up pretty damn well to my 190 pound riding weight. How much do you weigh?

Oh, I want to say that I'm impressed; using sex as a tool for getting bike parts. Right on! You go girl!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Renegade said:
Brodiegrrl, I don't know anything about the bontragers. They look wide, but the inside width is more important than the overall outside width. I have been riding a pair of mavic 519's for years. They hold up pretty damn well to my 190 pound riding weight. How much do you weigh?
I weigh 150lbs

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
I would rearrange hub choices - go with a King or Hadley in the back and go cheap on the front rim. Somthing like a MArzocchi hub would work or for a little more $$ a Hope Bulb.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
there are so many choices in regards to "freeride rims', gawd, I think the mere mention of that word could start a debate around here these days. :rolleyes: The 519's are on the lighter side of that spectrum, but I know of folks 220 pounds who have been riding them for years with no problems at all. At your weight, you probably won't hurt them at all, and you can pedal them with ease. You're pushing them if you put anything wider than a 2.5 tire on them.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
There are quite a few rim choices. Syncros DS28 are wide and strong and not heavy. If you want tubeless, X823s are great. DT makes high quality rims, like FR 6.1d, nice and wide and I've witnessed these clock tons of air time and never flinch. Hope Bulb seems like an excellent bang for the buck hubset. Hadley has 108 engagement points, which is 33% more than King, which is near instant as is, although recently, astronomically expensive. Pay attention to the spokes as well, because in the end the build of the wheel is what makes it strong, not the sum of the components. You can go light, strong, cheap, pick two, and make sure strong is in the choice.

_MK

·
Sponsored by Xanax
358 Posts
"You can go light, strong, cheap, pick two"

Is this originally a Keith Bontrager quote? Seems like I've heard him make that statement before with regard to pretty much all components.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Roostalee said:
"You can go light, strong, cheap, pick two"

Is this originally a Keith Bontrager quote? Seems like I've heard him make that statement before with regard to pretty much all components.
Keith Bontrager indeed. I first read it in regard to some Bontrager rims. But this quote holds water in reference to just about any cycling component, and most other sports.

_MK

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Brodiegrrl said:
Actually, for the pimp factor I know the answer, but I need justification to spend my husbands money on what could be excess gucci.

2. Mavic 519 rims
XT rear Hub

I will be climbing on this bike for the North Shore stuff, will do some days in the Whistler and Sun Peaks bike park.

Thoughts?
Check these out Brodiegrrl (scroll down and check out the deals on ZTR freeride Kings or Hadleys either way this will be the best pimps for yr 6 Pack!

Now where do I find a biker chick that can ride and spend $$ on a puppy like that...

http://richardsbicycles.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3431&Catalog=39&sort=Price desc

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Brodiegrrl said:

2. Mavic 519 rims
XT rear Hub

Thoughts?
I wrote but my email seems to have gone up in cybersmoke. Anyway, just wanted to say that after much help from everyone on the Turner site and some solid ideas from Larry at Mountain High Cyclery, I ended up getting Mavic 819s with CK 20mm front and CK rear with funbolts. So far that's one piece of my bike I don't worry about.
turtle

Attachments

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
Brodiegrrl said:

2. Mavic 519 rims
XT rear Hub

Thoughts?
How do you feel about Mavic Crossmax XL"s?

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
mavics work

I have crossmax XL on my softtal and on my 5 spot. I weigh 210 on a goood day, and no problems at all. Tighten them once after 100 miles, ride for life......

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
sharon -

prebuilt wheels I'd go with the Azonic Outlaws, but I am not a fan of prebuilts.

I'm running Mavic XM321 rims, 14/15 spokes, Hadley hubs and they're great for all around trail and FR at my 160-165 lbs. for torture training pre-ToM I'm running a heavier rear wheel with 14ga spokes and an Arrow FRX rim + DH tube.

you and Lee ride enough to know a few good wheelbuilders I'm sure, and a good build with CKs or Hadleys or Hopes as hubs, 14/15 spokes, and a lightish rim with at least 21-25mm between the bead hooks (inside width) should be a better value than any prebuilt except the Outlaws, and even there I think the Azonics probably aren't going to have quite the personal touch of a personally handbuilt set and might well not last as long.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Turtle 1 said:
I wrote but my email seems to have gone up in cybersmoke. Anyway, just wanted to say that after much help from everyone on the Turner site and some solid ideas from Larry at Mountain High Cyclery, I ended up getting Mavic 819s with CK 20mm front and CK rear with funbolts. So far that's one piece of my bike I don't worry about.
turtle
Turtle, what tires are you running on that bike? Im using the same rims, just curious.

Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.