Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get some sunglasses that I can wear which will darken the bright sun but lighten it up when I am riding on trails that are a little on the shady side. Any suggestions as to a specific pair or type of glasses that I need?

Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
keep your eyes on steepandcheap.

I was using a pair of quiksilvers with multiple lenses that I got for $25 (list was over $100 but obviously they arent that great)

unfortunately they broke (my fault) and I just ordered a pair of Smith Threshold to replace them, at $35 instead of $130 MSRP. Hopefully I can make these last longer.

My first pair of SMith Toaster served me well for about 5 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yea steapandcheap.com has some great deals as mentioned above by knucklesandwich. I got a pair of Smith Sliders from them. They came with 3 pairs of lenses (light, dark, clear). It was a steal at $30 shipped (or something around there). I like em'.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set of Oakley Half Jackets and 2nd set of lenses. I am in the market for new ones and I love Oakley but on the trail they get beat up. So now I am looking at the Tifosi Optics. They seem to be nice Oakley knockoffs. The price is right to around $30-$40 depending on the style. They are going to have the FC in a transition lens released early this year.

http://www.tifosioptics.com/

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had Oakleys with Gold iridium & fire lenses for years. Generally great for cutting out sun but not loosing definition (they make things sharper), but I have had a few Stevie Wonder moments going into the trees at dusk.

·
dirty trail dog
601 Posts
NappyT said:
I'm on my 3rd set of Oakley Half Jackets and 2nd set of lenses. I am in the market for new ones and I love Oakley but on the trail they get beat up. So now I am looking at the Tifosi Optics. They seem to be nice Oakley knockoffs. The price is right to around $30-$40 depending on the style. They are going to have the FC in a transition lens released early this year.

http://www.tifosioptics.com/
I use Tifosi Q2s (http://www.tifosioptics.com/single/q2.html) and love them. They feel like they are glued to your head, and are very comfortable. They don't have the light/dark thing the OP was talking about, but I wanted to toss my support to Tifosi.

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts

·
Life is Good
1,494 Posts
I've been using Specialized Half Times for the past year and they are incredible. They also have the photochromatic lenses so they will change with the sunlight/tree cover etc and they actually do work, well enough that I kept em on throughout rides that even lasted until well after nightfall. I'd recommend them to anybody.

·
Registered
451 Posts
CanOnlyRide said:
i love Rudy Projects!

I second the nod to Rudy's! I run the Exceptions, (perscription lenses in the back with the flip up fronts. Of all the lenses I have for them, I prefer "Racing Red" as an all around trail lens from singletrack in the trees to along the shoreline with refelctions off the water.

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
Oakley racing Jackets are uber comfy and plus they have transition lens to automatically change with the light conditions. I also have half jackets and they are really great as well.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I used to wear Oakley sunglasses, but I've switched over to Tifosi. I have two pairs of them now and both have 3 different lenses that I can swap out. One clear, AC red which is awesome for all around use and brown which is good for bright sunlight days. Tifosi also has Fototec lenses which transition based on the sunlight. I'll never go back to Oakley's again. Definitely check them out.

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
I have been using the Specialized Singletracks. They have been great with the self dimming lenses. They work great in bright and dark conditions, heck i even wear them when i drive now, they are super secure and comfortable on your face. They have also been in their fair share of crashes and are still going strong!

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
After reading all these responses, I'd say that it's pretty safe to say that just about any pair of nice riding glasses will do.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Both my GF and I have the photochromatic Specialized mountain biking glasses (they make road versions too, but they are darker). I have the Chicanes and she has Halftimes. Truly excellent glasses. I can wear them in the woods at dusk and out in the snow during the day. The auto-tinting change is quite effective, though not instant. It eliminates the need for multiple lenses. It reacts to UV light to adjust the darkness of the lense.

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
I am also looking for some new shades...

I am thinking of going with Oakley Transitions this time around, but should take a look at the Spec and Tifosi too.. I guess... Thanks!

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
I have two sets of Tifosi glasses. One set with clear lenses for night riding and another set with fototec lenses (backcountry orange) for all other riding. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I;ll sell you a pair of Oakleys

I want to get rid of a paid of Oakley half jackets with fire lense .:thumbsup:
Black frames. $50.00 you pay shipping.
PM me if anyone's interested. Can send pics.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts