Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for a set of wheels. Need 27.5 and want at least 30mm internal width as I normally run 2.6's. One complication is I need a mixed set with a 15x100 front with a boost 148 rear. Budget is around $700 give or take. Don't mind going over budget if the value is there. In order of importance is Reliability-> Cost -> Weight. It would be nice for the wheels to be less than 2000g though. Don't care if the hubs have high engagement or not. Hyperglide freehub. High engagement is good but not a deal breaker if it doesn't have it.

Hunt is always at the tip of everyone's tongue for budget wheels. Less than 1800g for their trail 27.5 with 30mm internal width seems too good to be true. I'm 165lbs kitted up. I've always used 32h rims so the thought of 28h especially on the rear gives me pause. Maybe a little too light for Aluminum rims? They are supposed to work for riders up to 240lbs so maybe I'm overthinking the number of spokes and the light weight.

Looked at some Chinese carbon wheels. Lite Carbon was $900+ as the 15x100 put me in at least a DT Swiss 240 hub instead of the cheaper Bitex or even 350s. DIY Carbon Bikes was really cheap but they haven't had the best reviews on delivery during Covid. I also don't know anything about the Novatec hubs. BTLOS was around $800 after shipping again with mixed hub spacing putting me in a higher price bracket. Not sure who else to look at for Chinese carbon wheels.

I played around on Bicycle Wheel Warehouse's custom wheel builder. Could build some wheels with Sun Duroc 35 or Easton ARC 30s in the $600 range using the Speed Tuned hubs. I've never heard of Speed Tuned hubs so I'm not sure of the quality there. Other hub option in my price range are Deore and Deore/XT. I'd rather not pull my cone wrenches out of retirement.

I'm admittedly not very well traveled in the world of bike wheels. Hoping you guys could throw out some suggestions and something catches my interest.

[Update]

Went with a set of Race Face ARC30 with DT350 centerlock hubs DT Competition Race spokes and brass nipples in a 32 hole 3 cross configuration. Estimate is around 1767g before tape and valves. Purchased from Colorado Cyclist as their no tax and 10% off coupon made it $639 and they came with purple anodized valves.

· Registered
2,799 Posts
They really do have some good value wheels that often make me question if I should build a set myself or go with theirs. But they're always a couple months out. Plus, I would really like it if they would offer their mountain stuff with CL hubs. They do for road/gravel.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
I have BTLOS and had no issues with the extralight rims on my gravel bike - and would get another wheelset from them. The mixed hub spacing doesn't seem to change the price in the configurator:

Reactions: Vance72

· Registered
468 Posts
You can also use the custom wheelset builder on coloradocyclist.com. I got some Stan's Flow rims with XT hubs built up for $400. For a little extra you can upgrade spokes and nipples and have a real nice, solid and fairly light wheelset.

· Registered
177 Posts
Another good website for pricing out various wheel-building options:

Have purchased components from them and received great service.

· Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another good website for pricing out various wheel-building options:

Have purchased components from them and received great service.
I really like this site. I have a ARC30 laced to purple ano Hope Pro4s speced out with Sapim Lasers, brass nipples, and my missmatched hub spacing weighing in at 1830g for just $645 shipped. Really digging being able to build up various wheel builds and seeing the price/weight as I build it up.

· EDR
10,793 Posts
Hunt is always at the tip of everyone's tongue for budget wheels. Less than 1800g for their trail 27.5 with 30mm internal width seems too good to be true. I'm 165lbs kitted up. I've always used 32h rims so the thought of 28h especially on the rear gives me pause. Maybe a little too light for Aluminum rims? .
Sounds reasonable at1800 g. I think you could build some DT Swiss xm481's on dt350 hubs for around that weight, and $$$

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,321 Posts
IIRC shipping was almost $100 which puts it "close to $800" after you factor in shipping.

Sub-Total$676.00

Shipping Cost (EMS: United States)$95.10

Transaction Fee (3.5%)$26.99

Total$798.09
Oh dang, shipping went up I think from when I ordered. They do have sales and promotions sometimes. FWIW, I've had a few of theirs and they've worked flawlessly. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
8,740 Posts
I had a sweet set of i30 carbon wheels on DT350 in like new condition I couldn't give away for $400 shipped last year. I disassembled them and sold the hubs.
This year you could have sold them for $800.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.