Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting together a Tallboy to compliment a fully rigid WaltWorks and Knolly Endorphin. Building this bike of all day/endurance bike, so weight is an issue - but trying not to sacrifice durability. Live in Colorado, so think lots of long climbs followed by long descents. 6'2 - 210lbs with broad shoulders for reference.

Tallboy - L with RP23
Fox F29 FIT - 120mm (slack out the HT angle a bit)
King Inset
Thompson Stem
Easton Haven Carbon Bar
Ergon grips
Thompson Post
SRAM X9 or XO (is there a signifcant weight difference?) 2 x 10.
Hope mini disc brakes
Wheelset of Stan's Flow laced to King hubs
Tires - TBD (seeking rec'ds. - thinking something 2.3 up front with 2.1 in the rear)
Crank brother candy pedals
WTB Silverado saddle

·
Registered
73 Posts
Its fine its just gonna cost you some long dough... !! Thats it... there I said it... ! I went XO, 2BY Easton Carbon Haven Wheels, Carbon Post, Stem, Carbon Bars, as well as Fox 29 120 Talas and RP23 and a pair of Eye 9, 29 XC Ultralight Wheels as well. XX was much more dough than XO for not much less weight or performance gained as compared to lighter wheels IMO. Plus I have XO on another FS bike and its great stuff. Then again I have X9 on a hardtail and thats great stuff too soits a difficult decision. However I did go XX on both cassettes to compliment the light wheels. Maxxis Aspens and Ikons with two tubas in the hoop-tee's

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am thinking your are off on frame size, TT is only 24.5 on the Xl and smaller yet on the large. Like the build, I like the Specialized "Team Captains" 2.2 front 2.0 rear. They seem to run kinda wide. If you want to look at a xl frame half built up you can stop by. By park meadows mall area (pm me)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nice build! Maybe Formula R1's instead of Hope Minis? You could certainly find lighter hubs than CK. Also, you might consider Arch rims instead of Flows. You could easily drop half a pound from the wheels without losing much strength.

·
Registered
349 Posts
yeah, i'd go with an XL if i was you. just looked at the SC webpage and it list the effective top tube for a 505mm A-C fork at 24", with a 73 degree seat tube. I believe that's the A-C for a 100mm fork. For general XC riding, i would probably ride the large with a 90mm stem. i'm 5' 10".

other than that, the build looks solid. i might go with the Arch over the flow, but i only way 160.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Tallboy build

I have almost the identical bike and parts except for the drivetrain. I run the XT- 10 speed system and I have 0 problems with shifting, chain retention etc. If you read the posts there are issues with the SRAM 10 speed's. My local shop owner rides with 10-XTR and he sells both SRAM and Shimano so he can have any system. For brakes I would go with Avid. The bike is amazing,you will see.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
When I demo'ed a Tallboy in XL, I found the rear end, rear triangle felt a little flexy, I weigh 225, and it was really noticeable on off camber rutted singletrack trails when climbing. YMMV... I didn't enjoy it much.

·
Registered
157 Posts
RandyBoy said:
When I demo'ed a Tallboy in XL, I found the rear end, rear triangle felt a little flexy, I weigh 225, and it was really noticeable on off camber rutted singletrack trails when climbing. YMMV... I didn't enjoy it much.
It's far more likely it was the rear wheel set letting you down, not the rear triangle. The TB's been complemented a number of times here and in reviews for it's solid rear end.

I know I am looking forward to upgrading to carbon rims sometime this year for my TB from the stock Mavic TN 719s. :)

Edit: It'll cost you some weight and my or may not be appropriate for you & the typical trails you ride, but have you considered an adjustable seat post? I have a KS i950R and have also heard good things on the RockShox Reverb.

·
Riding or Drumming
213 Posts
dapozer said:
I am thinking your are off on frame size, TT is only 24.5 on the Xl and smaller yet on the large.
I'm 6'1" and on an XL. Also thinking Arch instead of Flow BUT depends on how you ride. I know some strong riders of 215 + that ride Arches hard with no issues.

When I demo'ed a Tallboy in XL, I found the rear end, rear triangle felt a little flexy, I weigh 225, and it was really noticeable on off camber rutted singletrack trails when climbing.
Bet it was the wheel flexing as the rear-end is STIFF.

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
I'm your height and around 195. I just got an XXL Tallboy, full X0, thomson, schwalbe 2.25" tires (what I'd get if I were you). As far as rear wheel flex, and I'm running the flows with hope pro II hubs, I got a 12mm through bolt conversion for the rear hub. Avoid the large size. I don't know why or how you fit onto it -- and liked it, but somehow you did. Not sure on that one. Ride an XL and XXL if you can. A large is too small for you.

Here's a parts comparison:
Tallboy - L with RP23 --------> XXL w/ RP23
Fox F29 FIT - 120mm (slack out the HT angle a bit) ----------> Talas 29 terralogic
King Inset --- same
Thompson Stem ----- same
Easton Haven Carbon Bar ----- same
Ergon grips preference item
Thompson Post ------ same
SRAM X9 or XO (is there a signifcant weight difference?) 2 x 10 -------------> SRAM X0
Hope mini disc brakes -----------------> SRAM X0
Wheelset of Stan's Flow laced to King hubs ----------------> stans flow w/ hope pro II hubs
Tires - TBD (seeking rec'ds. - thinking something 2.3 up front with 2.1 in the rear) --------> nobby nic snakeskins 2.25"
Crank brother candy pedals ----------------> Straitline platform pedals
WTB Silverado saddle ----- preference item

I also went with the 11-36 Shimano XT level cassette and Shimano 10 speed chain onto my SRAM X0 drivetrain. If I were you, I'd change the brakes. Going sram on the brakes makes things easier with the one piece brake and shifters. I'd go X0 on the drivetrain, too. Carbon cranks, adjustable levers, better reviews. You're spending a lot as it is, might as well get nice stuff.

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
Personal preference, I'd go Formula R1 brakes and a Shimano cassette. The R1s are every bit as capable, if not MORE capable, than Hopes and they're lighter. X9/X0 derailleurs are fantastic but I seem to get more miles out of Shimano cassettes.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
You guys love way long TT. The XL Tallboy is massive and the last thing I'd want to do is be strung out. The WaltWorks is roughly the same TT and ST as the L Tallboy and it fits perfectly. The Minis are coming off the Knolly (I am going to put some M4s on there). Wheelset is definitely an option and agree that there are lighter options out there that I should explore. Also will bat around the idea of riding 100m fork vs. 120, but like the thought of slacking out the front end a bit.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Dave -- One of my buddies just built his TB up racer-boy light, but ran the 120 out the front and LOVES it. I'd definitely go 120 vs. 100. You may have to tinker with the stack height/stem combo, but you'll be able to get what you need out of it. I've got other friends looking at the same bike and they're all leaning 120.

Otherwise your build sounds great! I'd run the X.O, but that's just me. If you really want to bling it up (and stiffen it up) I've got two words for you -- carbon rims. I think Edge is going to have a 29er set that weigh sub 1400 grams.

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
I'm 6', 175 lbs and have a L Tallboy XT dyna sys, Haven Carbon, TALAS setup. Here's what I'd recommend.

*Get the XL with a shorter stem. I kind of wish I would've, and I'm 2" shorter than you.
*Thomson is cool and tough, but are way too heavy. I'm swapping mine out for an Ibis stem- by far the best bang for the buck out there, and tough enough for them to but on their Mojo HD. There's really no need for a stem strong enough to hang a car from- bigtime overkill unless you're doing free ride.
*For the long up/long down riding, get a TALAS and maybe some bar-ends. It'll keep that front end planted on long, steep climbs
*For the same reason, I'd recommend a triple front
*For the same reason, I'd recommend a bigger front rotor to prevent fade
*I'm swapping out my Ergon grips for some foamies. They're too heavy, and lock ons are a waste of weight
*No comment on saddle, pedals, or hubs. Personal preference items.

Carbon rims aren't cost-prohibitive compared to your setup if you get the bike from Colorado cyclist...of course you'll have to pay tax living in CO, so maybe I'm wrong.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,854 Posts
I'm not buying the sizing argument yet
I'm 5'11" and others have told me I should be on a XL. I have a very short torso, so the L fits me.

When I demo'ed a Tallboy in XL, I found the rear end, rear triangle felt a little flexy
Mine is not as stiff as my 429 or El Rey, but I wouldn't say it's whippy.

I'm going to put a carbon Lefty on mine in the near future. I also have Edge AM wheels. I will still be spanked by others with much less expensive steeds. The TB does have a creamy/dreamy ride.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.