Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am a student at NC State University, and I have the privilege of expecting to study abroad in Prague next semester. I have this glorious idea of bringing a bike there on the plane with me (checked of course), and putting it together right on the sidewalk outside of the airport. That said, for simplicity's sake I want to make that bike a single-speed. The other criteria is that it must be a mountain bike, because as much as I'd like to bring my road bike, it would not play well with Prague's many cobblestone streets.

So here's the criteria:
single speed
light as possible
hardtail or no suspension
big enough frame to behave like a road bike
light as possible

I have narrowed my search down to two bikes that are for sale locally to me on Craigslist:
Cannondale C400
https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2001&Brand=Cannondale&Model=C400&Type=bike
Gary Fisher Tassajara
https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike...2&Brand=Gary Fisher&Model=Tassajara&Type=bike

They are the same price... Which one would be better as a single speed conversion??? Which would be lighter?

PS, I'm trying basically to emulate this bike... minus the gearing...

Any input would be appreciated,
Thomas

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! The C400 I'm looking at is actually in "smoke grey" but nonetheless it's a pretty sweet bike... And the front fork I'm sure is lighter as a rigid, but then again I've heard that the Tassajaras are very light themselves...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Indeed I will... I'm really into photography too (I actually got tons of replies to the Cannondale Prophet ad I had up here asking about the pictures), and I'm hoping and praying to get my hands on a Nikon D90 before I leave... I love commuting to class on a bike here, and I figure it'll be mostly the same there. Plus, from what I hear bikes are allowed on the metro in the city, so it seems like a win-win situation to me!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, thanks! I hadn't thought about looking at similar bikes to see their weights... ~26.5lbs or less I guess minus derailleurs/shifters/cables definitely isn't bad... I have a steel single speed road bike and an older Cannondale aluminum road bike (14 speed for now at least) that ironically both weigh in at 21 lbs, so that's definitely not a bad weight, especially compared to a Specialized Hardrock I have that's well over 30lbs. That sucker is heavy!

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
Wait until you get there and get something. The cost of taking bike on the plane back and forth will be more than the cost of the bike over there. Even a folding bike may get charged if they find out it's a bike. I spent a year riding Belgium's cobbles with 20" wheels and really wished I had something larger.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fishcreek: only one thing about that folding bike fitting the criteria - it's not a MTB.

"The other criteria is that it must be a mountain bike, because as much as I'd like to bring my road bike, it would not play well with Prague's many cobblestone streets."

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks so much man! Actually my ex-gf just got back from Prague (she's a year older and also an architecture major) and she was telling me a couple of days ago how it would have been nice to know someone over there prior to making the trip so that they could show you the ins and outs of the city without having to rely on a tourist book or something. I actually have two cousins living in Berlin, and I'll definitely get up with them... If I'm going through Dresden I'll definitely make an effort to get up with you. Do you guys know anybody on the forums from Prague?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay so let me show you guys what turned me on to this whole idea... I know everybody says MASH are @$$holes, but I love the shots of them getting their bikes off the baggage carousel and putting them together outside.
I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to get a good bike for this price in Prague, mainly because I'd have no idea where to look for a good used bike. I'm also not sure that I want to take the time to build something up (rainy day, I know...) instead of already having something ready to go exploring. The same girl also told me that the trek from airport > bus > metro > bus > walk > hostel we stay at is brutal, so I figured I could make it better with a leisurely hour and a half bike ride right through the heart of the city. Anyway, now you at least see what I was getting at with building it there.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I could have sworn there was perhaps someone with an Eric-something with a Stimpy avatar that posted something in the Czech republic. On that note, you can also check out some rides I did at the Sachsicher Schweiz Mountains, that brings us up to overlook the valley where the border of Saxony and the Czech Republic meet. If you can ever get around here, there's a train station in Bad Schandau which leads you close to the starting point of the trip up, which is composed mostly of road, but one can find nice drops taking the dirt down. This area is supposed to be the birthplace, or one of the more influential places for Freeclimbing, provided you're a rock climber.

There are lots of castles along the way you can stop at for views of the architecture, and then you can head to Dresden Zentrum HBf. If you're out for a tour of architecture, then this is one of the places you should not miss before you head back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awww dude, I love climbing!!! I used to climb indoors competitively through middle school and high school, but I haven't gone since I got to college. Maybe I'll find an excuse to pick it up again there... A day biking and climbing sounds like heaven to me.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.