Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea I know you've gotta ride the bikes before you can decide but that's not always possible especially in canuckistan. Also some bikes I'm potentially interested in dont even have dealers within 1500 miles of where I live so it'll be like choosing a mail order bride.

The Terrain: I do 99% of my riding in the province of Saskatchewan. Our trails would be best described as tight xc single track with some pitchy and technical short descents and climbs that follow river valley's. No booters, no huge gaps, drops etc just some fun fast single track with some little hits. Our terrain would be considered on the smoother side mostly dirt, some sand. They arent choppy and rocky so they only require a bike with "modern xc" travel as a maximum so anything else is just added weight and slows you down.

The rider: Experienced trail rider that spends a few thousand KM in the trails 12 months a year whether it's on a fat bike at -40C or summer on my xc/trail bikes and I'm not interested in racing.

Bike history: Over the last few years I've ridden Giant Talons, Reigns, 27.5 anthem sx and just sold my 2019 advanced anthem 29er to move onto something new. I found the anthem 29er to be the fastest bike I've ridden on our trails to date but when riding the anthem I just found myself riding it more like a race bike and it was less fun than trail bike if that makes sense to anyone but i loved the move to 29er wheels.

The current bike: Riding the trails with my winter bike, a 2019 Farley 9.6 in summer mode with a bluto and some 3.8 hodags(bought fork and tires solely to ride it before I choose a new FS bike) and I hate to say but I'm having more fun on it than I ever did my anthem 29er. Its just more playful, I'm more interested in all the little hits and therefore it's making the trails alot more fun to ride VS just going fast which I felt all the anthem did well.

My initial thoughts were to wait for the 2020 treks and pick up the "new" top fuel model but now I'm leaning towards ordering something entirely different or even having my shop build something up for me.

After reading my brief history what else would you suggest for me? I'm pretty open and would love to try something new or even build a bike from one of the smaller companys. I'm sure theres some options I'm not even aware of as I'm not always on here or pinkbike to stay up to date.

I would prefer to stick to a carbon frame, the only thing I miss about the anthem was that it weighed 27 pounds.

My budget is about 6000 Canadian so $4500 usd

Thanks.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle Mountain bike

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The new Druid. Hands down best suspension layout in 130mm travel!
Wow those looks great just read a few reviews. Unfortunately 4000 cdn for a frame and shock comes closer to $5000 after shipping duty taxes to my door so it only leaves me with $1000 cdn to build it. Trying to stay below 4500 usd or 6000 Canadian

It would also be overkill for our local xc race style trails

·
Registered
35 Posts
New Spot Ryve 4-star build?

Pretty solid pricing for the build kits/quality, suspension design is very 'racy' but can definitely be playful and fun if you travel with the bike a bit. I have a Mayhem from them and just ordered a Ryve for riding as you describe and a bit more trail stuff. I'm in Alberta and the Ryve will be for local fast trail rides and West Bragg creek stuff if you know the area and the Mayhem is for trips to BC and abroad.

·
orthonormal
5,261 Posts
The latest Norco Revolver sounds like it's worth considering. 100/100 and 120/120 options at multiple pricepoints.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Yes I'm leaning towards more of 100/120 to 120/130 bike at max. Anything else is overkill
The latest Norco Revolver sounds like it's worth considering. 100/100 and 120/120 options at multiple pricepoints.
Since you're in Canadia, why not the Norco or RM Element 50.

Other suggestion: I demo'd a Scott Spark 910 and really liked it. Not sure how you feel about lockout, but once I started fiddling with it, I kinda liked it.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I dont know about pricing in canada but these are worth checking out:
Salsa spearfish
Cannondale Scalpel
Pivot Trail 429
Bmc fourstroke or agonist
Santa cruz blur

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
GG Trail Pistol can be set at 120mm. Carbon frame is made in house.
28 lbs.
https://ridegg.com/trailpistol-ride-1
You can customize the build. Even starting with a bare frame.
I like a Manitou Mattoc Pro and McLeod.
This!!!
I just got my GG The Smash the other day and all I can say is DAMN! Once I sort the fork out, she will be an absolute BEAST. The TP was on my list but I decided that I wanted more travel vs. less travel from my current/old trail bike (2014 Spesh Stumpjumper FSR Clone).

That would be another good one to look at is the Stumpjumper line or the Fuel EX line. Both are great bikes and pretty good prices, if you can wait till end of season to pick-up you could potentially save a decent amount of cash.

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
In what world is a 150mm/130mm bike an ideal bike for the XC riding that the OP describes?
In a world where people recommend bikes based on never riding it and ignoring the actual request.

You know, sort of like EB and plus tires for everything. Which I notice he didn't mention- wonder if someone hacked his account?

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
OP I'd wait a little if you can.

Ibis is releasing something soon- it may be what you're after and rumor is the updated Pivot 429 SL should be coming as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In a world where people recommend bikes based on never riding it and ignoring the actual request.

You know, sort of like EB and plus tires for everything. Which I notice he didn't mention- wonder if someone hacked his account?
Hahahahahahaha
I've ridden a 150 bike in my local terrain when I didnt really understand how it would ride here.... never again.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
I recently built up a Evil Following. Bike is super fun on twisty singletrack. Bike feels really responsive when linking turns...even at lower speeds. It's also real easy to lift up the front end...makes me want to pop off everything I see.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.