Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys i am looking to get a bike!! i am new to this whole thing. i have a friend that has convinced me to give it a shot. so i headed down to the local bike shop. the guy at the shop recommended the trek 4500. what do yall think? i also like the Specialized hardrock sport and the Specialized rockhopper (just by the looks) which one of the three do yall recommend? oh and i like to tinker so modifying one is an option later. is one better than the other for modifications to make better?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Of the three bikes you have mentioned my vote would go to the Rockhopper. Lighter frame than the Hardrock, and potentially better components based on the model you buy. All three bikes can be upgraded at a later date. It's really a matter of which bike you like the best. Take them all for a quick spin and see which one feels best.

Bob

·
rider
2,356 Posts
How big are you.? What are your local trails like? What kind of rider do you want to become, XC, all mountain or are you thinking of jumps and drops and such?

Better input gives better suggestions.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
What's your budget? What kind of riding are you planing on doing? How serious are you about this sport?

In general buy the best bike you can afford and try not to go thru all the upgrading. Ride that bike for several years then buy your dream bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well right now im 230lbs and 5 feet 10 inches. i need a 18 inch bike...it was a hair tall(just barely touchedwhen i stood over) but the reach was very good. the local trails are pretty harsh. but there are a mix of trails. jumps and such come later. my budget is $500 max. does anyone know if the specialized bikes come with the double tubed wheels like the trek 4500? i will also use this in the city riding a little.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
Most wheels are double-walled these days, but that does not guarantee that they will be strong. I recommend having them professionally tensionned before even leaving the shop with the bike, they will last much longer, especially under your weight.

As far as fit, you don't necessarily need an 18'' bike, you need to try out different bikes to see which fits best to you. Some people have longer legs, others have longer torsos/arms, so it is very important for you to be fit well onto a bike. If you feel your legs are perfect but need to stretch out more on the handlebars, a longer stem may be the solution. Or a shorter one, who knows?

Make sure you try all three bikes, and even try a few sizes of each if you can, it will help you make a wiser choice and you'll be much happier with the bike you'll be getting.

I hope this helped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, I just bought a Giant Yukon for $439 kitted as follows:

Suntour XCR Fork (weakest link on the bike, and not that bad)
Shimano Deore Rear De-
Shimano Acera Front De-
Shimano Alivio Shifters
Hayes GX-2 Disc brakes F/R
WTB Dual Duty rims
Truvativ Isoflow crank
Kenda Blue Groove tires

Not a bad list of kit for a $400 range bike. Just a bit heavy, but it's the fork. Replace with a lighter Rock Shox or Manitou and get it under 30lbs. Found an 06 R7 Elite on eBay New for $170 bucks. Think that's gonna make me the perfect beginner bike.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
hypergolic said:
Yeah, I just bought a Giant Yukon for $439 kitted as follows:

Suntour XCR Fork (weakest link on the bike, and not that bad)
Shimano Deore Rear De-
Shimano Acera Front De-
Shimano Alivio Shifters
Hayes GX-2 Disc brakes F/R
WTB Dual Duty rims
Truvativ Isoflow crank
Kenda Blue Groove tires

Not a bad list of kit for a $400 range bike. Just a bit heavy, but it's the fork. Replace with a lighter Rock Shox or Manitou and get it under 30lbs. Found an 06 R7 Elite on eBay New for $170 bucks. Think that's gonna make me the perfect beginner bike.
Also makes your bike cost 600.00. What could you get if you just bought a 600.00 Giant?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maida7 said:
Also makes your bike cost 600.00. What could you get if you just bought a 600.00 Giant?
The $600 bike I wanted.

Seriously, you can't start acting like that. Any sub-$500 bike is going to have a few less desirable components. By that logic you should never upgrade.

You can also think of it like this. For 170 bucks, I can have the front suspesion of a bike that is completely out of my pricerange.

As well as this: I've heard the argument that you waste too much money upgrading beginner bikes. To this I say, if I find that I have $1000 in upgrades to my $450 Yukon, then I'll just order a frame to better fit the components.

And I never said the fork of the Yukon was bad, or unusable. It's just where they saved the money to get some of the better components on the bike elsewhere. Truth told, I'll prolly ride it till I hate it and then upgrade it.

I don't think you should feel "bad" about upgrading any bike. I do see that there is a point where diminishing returns kicks in, but that will happen on a 6000 dollar bike just like a $500 bike.

I need a fork, and a front derailleur. If I PATIENTLY bargain shop for left-over new stuff, then that's an R7 or Reba fork and a Deore LX front derailleur for about $250.

I've never seen a 700 dollar hardtail with R7 suspension and full Deore drive train. Hell I could pick up the shifters for another 30-40 bucks and just have all Deore.

Components are components man, they don't work on one bike better than they do on another.

This however is not an option if you can't work on things yourself. If the LBS is installing these upgrades for you then yes, buy a new bike. You can't subsidize the labor and the parts and still come out ahead. But for tinkers, upgrading isn't that bad. And you have to remember, some people like tearing things apart and upgrading them. It's a fun hobby even by itself. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the help. i actually bought a bike today. the wife wasnt in line with the idea of me spending $500 on a bike (in case i dont stick with it). a buddy of mine had a gt palomar. it may not be the greatest bike but i got it for $100 and i think it is awesome!!!!!. it has a carbon fiber seat post brand new tires and slime tubes. it recently got a tune up and the wheels trued. i hope that in the future i can get a new fork and new rims.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
hypergolic said:
The $600 bike I wanted.

Seriously, you can't start acting like that. Any sub-$500 bike is going to have a few less desirable components. By that logic you should never upgrade. IN MOST CASES DON'T THINK A FORK OR WHEELS IS A COST EFFECTIVE UPGRADE. ON A SUB 500.00 BIKE MY RULKE OF THUMB IS ONLY FIX WHAT BREAKS AND NEVER GET THE TOP OF THE LINE COMPNENETS

You can also think of it like this. For 170 bucks, I can have the front suspesion of a bike that is completely out of my pricerange. ENJOY IT!

As well as this: I've heard the argument that you waste too much money upgrading beginner bikes. To this I say, if I find that I have $1000 in upgrades to my $450 Yukon, then I'll just order a frame to better fit the components.AND HOW MUCH IS A NEW FRAME? SO YOUR END RESULT IS A BIKE THAT COSTS 1,450 + THE COST OF THE NEW FRAME. LETS SAY THE FRAME WAS CHEAP AND OPNLY COST 500.00. WHAT COULD YOU GET IF YOU JUST BOUGHT A NEW BIKE FOR 1,950.00?

And I never said the fork of the Yukon was bad, or unusable. It's just where they saved the money to get some of the better components on the bike elsewhere. Truth told, I'll prolly ride it till I hate it and then upgrade it. HAVE FUN!

I don't think you should feel "bad" about upgrading any bike. I do see that there is a point where diminishing returns kicks in, but that will happen on a 6000 dollar bike just like a $500 bike. I'M NOT TRYING TO MAKE YOU FEEL BAD. IF YOU FELL BAD THEN SMILE AND GO FOR A RIDE.

I need a fork, and a front derailleur. If I PATIENTLY bargain shop for left-over new stuff, then that's an R7 or Reba fork and a Deore LX front derailleur for about $250. I THOUGHT THE FORK WAS 170.00 YOU CAN GET A FRONT DERAILER FOR UNDER 30.00

I've never seen a 700 dollar hardtail with R7 suspension and full Deore drive train. Hell I could pick up the shifters for another 30-40 bucks and just have all Deore. CHECK OUT THIS BIKE FOR 700.00 NICE DEAL FOR 700.00

Components are components man, they don't work on one bike better than they do on another. OK BUT REMEMBER IT'S ABOUT THE RIDER AND NOT THE BIKE

This however is not an option if you can't work on things yourself. If the LBS is installing these upgrades for you then yes, buy a new bike. You can't subsidize the labor and the parts and still come out ahead. But for tinkers, upgrading isn't that bad. And you have to remember, some people like tearing things apart and upgrading them. It's a fun hobby even by itself. :thumbsup: I THINK EVERYBODY SHOULD WORK ON THERE BIKES. UPGRADING IS FUN BUT IT'S NOT ECOMONICAL AND IT TENDS TO BECOME A DISEASE. TAKE IT FROM FOLKS WHO HAVE BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The Rockhopper is a really sturdy frame, of the three choices you have I would get one of those. You actually get some decent components with the Rockhopper as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maida7 said:
Hypotheticals and my personal methodology on things aside, my point was this.

If you have a beginner bike, and you really like the bike but it has a component or two that you don't like, you shouldn't feel obligated to accept it and keep riding until it happens to fail. I've seen this recommended here and other places before. I simply don't agree.

I do see that upgraditis is a disease that can get out of control, but abstinence isn't the answer! :p

I guess it would be funny to see a Talas and some Juicy 7's on a Haro V1. :lol:

That IBEX is a nice deal. I looked at the Alpine 450 before I bought the Yukon.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
I vote Rockhopper...

dp2315 said:
The Rockhopper is a really sturdy frame, of the three choices you have I would get one of those. You actually get some decent components with the Rockhopper as well. Good luck.
I agree, the hopper is a good choice for us heavier peeps..I've owned one a few years back and the bike served me well until it was stolen :madman:

Do the homework and shop around, up-grading makes your bike part of you..Thats a good thing :thumbsup:

Jake

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.