Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've pretty much decided to switch from my current Nomad back into 5-inch territory for trailriding. I do, however, not know about any trailbikes that match my criteria.

My personal experience is that the ammount of travel is overrated when it comes to speed and stability. Geometry and stiffness is just as important, if not more importent.

I want torsionally stiff frame with 140-150mm of travel, low BB and slack HA. Lighter weight than my Nomad, but I'm not a weight weenie. Will be paired with a 140-150mm 20mm TA fork.

Marqee is an option, but seems quite heavy. Also heard rumors of exessive noise from the frame-mounted pulley.

And, btw, VPP never really worked out for me - so next bike won't have VPP.

What frame do I want? Help please! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Based on what you are after. Apart from not having a really low bb my next bike is a yeti 575. Fits all other criteria you want and no VPP (horray) and can be built up pretty light but not breakingly light.
Check out yetifan.com for a similar builds.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
DW 5 Spot

I test rode both the 5 Spot and the VP tracer and I felt that the 5.5" spot with a 140 fork downhilled as well as the tracer in 6" mode with a 160 fork. The Trace made easy climbs better than the Spot but the Spot did the hard climbs much better. I would suggest you try VPP 2, I didn't even want to test ride the tracer because I had a bad history with VPP from the original Blur, but I was pleasantly supprised.
Check out the Foes XCT 5, I didn't get to try it but I tried the XCT 4 and liked it, and my Foes FXR makes hard climbs better than the Tracer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Tomac Snyper 140 that I like very much, I do not have much experience with many other FS Frames but the Mechanical Engineer in me suggests that the Flex-stay configuration that the Tomac shares with the Yeti 575 should be quite stiff.

·
Registered
243 Posts
He wanted a stiff frame, so most single pivots (and especially 575) should be out of the list. I would recommend something dw-link equipped such as one of the new Turners.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Intrepidity said:
I've pretty much decided to switch from my current Nomad back into 5-inch territory for trailriding. I do, however, not know about any trailbikes that match my criteria.

My personal experience is that the ammount of travel is overrated when it comes to speed and stability. Geometry and stiffness is just as important, if not more importent.

I want torsionally stiff frame with 140-150mm of travel, low BB and slack HA. Lighter weight than my Nomad, but I'm not a weight weenie. Will be paired with a 140-150mm 20mm TA fork.

Marqee is an option, but seems quite heavy. Also heard rumors of exessive noise from the frame-mounted pulley.

And, btw, VPP never really worked out for me - so next bike won't have VPP.

What frame do I want? Help please! :)
Foes?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I was just in this boat with my Nomad, lots of travel and I dont use all of it. Wanted to go with a 5.5" bike, after trying different things out I bought a Knolly Endorphin.

·
fraid of heights
1,923 Posts
Marin Wolf Ridge w/ rear maxle would fit your needs.

I would also think a Spec Pitch in the low shock setting would work well, too bad they don't sell that bike as a frameset.

For the geo your looking for you might look at some slope style bikes, course then frames start getting heavy...

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
marktomin said:
He wanted a stiff frame, so most single pivots (and especially 575) should be out of the list.
Fantastic.

Read this part and go in the exact opposite direction to keep your options open.

This type of advice is what happens when n00bs read too many Specialized ads, and then fall into the mass hallucination of not seeing what's really there.

·
Registered
181 Posts
S-Works Enduro frame - can be had with shock, XTR front mech and Thomson post for £899 GBP, or with E150 SL forks for £1499 in the UK and can be built up to 27lb.

Biased opinion, as that's what I've bought, but it's just one for you to throw into the mix.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The GT Sanction seems to be a little more than what I want this time. The geometry is interesting though. As it wasn't on my radar beforehand I don't know much about it, but "freeride" and "steroids" seems to be mentioned quite a lot..

Turners I've ridden in the past had a bit steep HA for my taste. DW-link is tempting though..

The looks of Marin bikes kind of make me shy away, and ok, I'm ready to be made fun of now :)

Interesting frames:
Tomac Snyper (as long as they don't go bankcrupt again..)
Spec Pitch (allthough a bit dull, almost bought a slightly used one dirt cheap)
Knolly Endorphin (this wasn't on my radar beforehand)
Lapierre Zesty
Commencal Meta 5
Corsair Marqee

I'll check out the Banchee Pyre and Foes XCT. What am I missing now..?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Fantastic.

Read this part and go in the exact opposite direction to keep your options open.

This type of advice is what happens when n00bs read too many Specialized ads, and then fall into the mass hallucination of not seeing what's really there.
Specialized? i own a yeti 575 and have ridden lots of other bikes. Throw your hate somewhere else please.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts