Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
What didn't you like about the J5s? They really are a fantastic performing brake. I've had my J7s for over a year. They do take a little bit more initial set up, but it's well worth it.

Let us know what you didn't like about the J5s so that we can make an appropriate recommendation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not that I dont like the 5s, they just aren't that good. The hayes ive ridden are way smoother and more powerful... the 5s and 7s ive tried (and own) are a little more rickety (i'll admit the 7s were on a fairly 'used' demo bike). plus, w/ an xo equipped race bike, i'd like somehting of higher quality. anyone know about hope minis or hayes EC trail. those are what im interested in. maybe martas.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
The J5s have plenty of power. I'm willing to bet something with the setup/bleed/bed-in is wrong. My J7s have had plenty of power and modulation for DH racing. At the same time it's easy to lock up the rear-brake and do trials-ish moves on my hardtail.

The Hayes ECs are quite bad. Very small MC/Resi assembly. The system heats up quickly and fades significantly. QC is also an issue. The Nines lack any sort of modulation and are problematic.

Hayes Mags are great brakes. Good power and modulation. Some will say that it's an outdated design. I did eventually have a MC go out on me after about a year and a half. That's when I made the switch to the J7s.

Shimano XTs are also excellent.

Maguras can be a little tricky to bleed or set up, but the performance is quite good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, im not a hayes fan, the brakes I tested were BRAND NEW, and my j5s came one a used bike. I just heard people raving about the EC's, and thought, "hey, they were pretty smooth, and the're pretty low priced compared to others". My j5s are okay, but some parts (like the lever bushings that squeek) could be wore out. I like the 5s, but what I was trying to say is that they are a step down from race level. Maguras, Hopes, and Juicy Carbons are my first choice, but with my recent anger toward my brakes (rubbing and locking the wheel, which I know how to fix, but is still a drag) and the review on the ECs, was considering them. Thanks for the info.
P.S.
Do the j7s have ti/stainless hard ware?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I believe that's a bit of a false statement. When setup properly, the Juicys do not squeal, and the power is more than adequate even for DH racing. For some reason, people seem to have trouble working with the CPS washers.

Power and modulation from the XTs is similar to that of the Juicies. Both are fantastic systems, and if I had to choose for my next bike, it'd be a bit of a toss-up. But SRAM CS has always been excellent in my book, so that may make the deal.

The J7s do not have the Ti hardware. The JCarbons (performance wise) are the exact same as the J5s and J7s.

Rubbing? That's a 5 minute fix, not much of a reason to dump a set of brakes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've set them up a few times going on what SRAM has said, and the "5 minute fix" happens waaaay to often. They seem like an average brake. Get some rain and Georgia clay on them and the hardware gets a thin coat of rust. I really want a one-piece caliper (hope, juicy ultimate, etc.)

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Is it happening after you remove and reinstall your wheels? If so, uneven clamping force/different position in the dropout could be throwing it off. Or is it happening after the system is heating up? If that's the case, it could be overfilled, or it could require a bleed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.