Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm no tech guru and I've done a bit of searching on the subject without finding the best answers. Coming from a 29 Stumpy FSR with 36/22 F with a 11-36 rear and headed to a 27.5 Devinci Troy going one by with a 40T One up in the rear. I'd like to keep as close to the gearing I had as possible, and I understand I may give up on one end or the other.

My riding involves punchy climbing only but I do snag the granny gear on occasion on the stumpy for short periods. I am not doing a ton of downhill either where I need something real tall. I'm not in the best of shape either, but plan on progressing. In addition, I know the wheel size change may change the way the game is played a bit.

Currently I am thinking 30T up front on the RF NW, but I am interested in the true stats on gearing to make sure I am not wussing out. Any relevant info would be super helpful.

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
There are gear inch calculators around on the interweb that (though confusing) can help you.

I've just been through a similar conversion going from 24/36 in front and 11x36 cassette where I did most of my steep climbing in the 24x32 while dropping it occasionally to the 24x36 on the super steep stuff.

I went with a 32x42 using a One up on my 10 speed cassette and according to the gear inch calculators this gear is between the 24x32 and 24x28 and that's exactily what it feels like. I do miss the low granny sometimes but I haven't "needed" it yet.

I'd say for what you describe I'd definitely recommend the 30t... maybe even a 28t if you run 22x36 much at all.... and you're going to the bigger wheel size.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
personally, I found the whole Gear Calc is a good place to start, but when you get out on the trail and start riding it doesn't always add up....

If possible, keep your 2x up front and purchase some cheap rings to bolt on in diff sizes.. ride a few rides with each set up and see what works best.. then go out and spend $$ on the nice ring in the size you find works best for you and the trails you ride and convert to 1x if you want at that point.

I have found many guys who go 1x end up needing smaller to start but as they get stronger they want bigger gears. I'm also shying away from 1x myself.. was thinking of it but especially with the 10 speed drive trains I'm seeing more and more overly flexed chains breaking... thinking just stay with 2x as when you shift the front in the chain is straighter when under the highest stress/spin ratio... just saying :confused:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BAM. That calculator was easy enough for sure and made the decision easy based on the numbers. Exactly what I needed sir. Thank ya!

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Here's a gear calculator:

Bike Gears calculator
Thanks senseye! Very easy to use calculator with all the new ring and cassette combinations. These are gear ratios not gear inches but I don't know what the difference is or if it matters. For comparison sake it works fine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
For comparing ratios its very useful. You can compare directly a gear ratio you want to buy against a ratio you have or something close to your current setup. I've been using it a lot lately trying to decide on a chainring.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trying this calculator, but there must be something I'm missing.
I can pick the right data in the top 3 columns, but I can't see a "calculate" button.
If you watch, there is no calculate button. As soon as you make a different choice in one of those fields, it auto calculates. Give it a shot man.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
personally, I found the whole Gear Calc is a good place to start, but when you get out on the trail and start riding it doesn't always add up....

If possible, keep your 2x up front and purchase some cheap rings to bolt on in diff sizes.. ride a few rides with each set up and see what works best.. then go out and spend $$ on the nice ring in the size you find works best for you and the trails you ride and convert to 1x if you want at that point.

I have found many guys who go 1x end up needing smaller to start but as they get stronger they want bigger gears. I'm also shying away from 1x myself.. was thinking of it but especially with the 10 speed drive trains I'm seeing more and more overly flexed chains breaking... thinking just stay with 2x as when you shift the front in the chain is straighter when under the highest stress/spin ratio... just saying :confused:
I'm not confused at all. LOL I can drop .9 lbs off of my bike for $140 bucks with minimal sacrifice if any. Lose the weight, quiet the drive train, and simplify my ride. If the 30t is too small, then I can get the 32t for another $40 when I may need it I guess. I anticipate growing into this set up as you mentioned though and possibly heading that way. For now, I am going to play it safe.

Also, I haven't seen any forum activity talking about guys breaking chains on a 1X10 set up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts