Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellow ss-ers,

i am running a singlespeed at a 2:1 ratio now. 32 up front and a 16 at the back.

the problem is, my usual riding places are kinda steep. here is the profile for one of the climbs.

another usual riding spot

i have tried out the bike in the first one. i find it too difficult to climb.
what are your thoughts if i were to change to a 20 cog at back. do you think i would be able to enjoy the ride better instead of pushing up?

i love the simplicity of the singlespeed but pushing more than riding up a hill kinda defeats the purpose of the bike i might say. hehe.

do let me know what you guys think. thanks in advance. cheers

·
Registered
543 Posts
I.....

I live in an area with no really long climbs but maybe You should go to an 18 or 19 first so You can still enjoy the flat sections?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'd say try an 18 tooth cog first. It doesn't sound like much difference from the 16 but on the trails it makes a considerable difference; and I think that's about what most run. 32:20 on a 26" bike will be way low but just about right on a 29er.
And don't forget that the more you ride ss the easier it will get for you to push a higher gear. Like me, I've been at it for a couple years now and can comfortably push a 25" gear. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gearless,
what do u mean by enjoy the flat sections? the 2 places that i usually ride are mostly up and down. no flats. not many to be exact.
i definitely spin out on the downs though. hehe.

long hazy daze,
u think a 18 will do? well, i'll look around and see if i can find an 18 tooth cog. will update here once i have tried it out. thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hmmm, by far the easiest way to to ride it on a geared bike and change gears until you find the gear that works best. Calculate the gear inches and then replicate this on your SS.

Multiply the values in this chart by 26 to get your gear inches:

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
felixdale said:
Hmmm, by far the easiest way to to ride it on a geared bike and change gears until you find the gear that works best.
That is how I ended up with 32x18: perfect for my local trails with my current fitness/skill level.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks felixdale. the chart looks helpful. will be out riding tomorrow on a geared bike. hehe. see what i find.

thanks again!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks felixdale. the chart looks helpful. will be out riding tomorrow on a geared bike. hehe. see what i find.

thanks again!

·
Registered
878 Posts
so whats the diff?

I ride a ss 29er.

i started with a 32/18 and was grinding my teeth. thats also when i just started ss riding 8 months ago and i have not tried it since.

ive been riding 34/19 for a long time now.

today i rode 32/19 and it seemed a "bit" harder.

So- i did not resize my chain. i just moved the sliders into the new cog sizing.

Should i be adding chain/decreasing chain when i do this and leaving my wheelbase the same?

is there a good thread that already explains all of this or can someone shed some light for me here...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
jomissa said:

that doesn't make sense to me. only thing i could suspect is you tired yourself out spinning too fast?

did you get wet? :p i was out hiking and JUST made it in before it started for real.

but back to the gear if your comfortably spinning both, the easier gear should always be easier in my mind. now i was riding twn miles of fireroads yesterday (on the way back from a ride) and let me tell you being geared lower than the two guys i was with sucked for that. even spinning flats can be tiring if you are forced to keep a higher than comfortable pace for your gear. :skep:

·
Registered
389 Posts
jomissa said:
I ride a ss 29er.

i started with a 32/18 and was grinding my teeth. thats also when i just started ss riding 8 months ago and i have not tried it since.

So- i did not resize my chain. i just moved the sliders into the new cog sizing.

Should i be adding chain/decreasing chain when i do this and leaving my wheelbase the same?

is there a good thread that already explains all of this or can someone shed some light for me here...
by moving the sliders closer in, you basically shorten your chain stays and should climb a bit better. by moving the sliders out, you lengthen your chain stays and shouldnt climb quiet as well.

myself, i never add or remove links to my chain when i change cogs. use the same chain length and adjust the paragon sliders accordingly. i cannot tell any noticeable change in my bike's handling whey i move the sliders forward or back.

·
Registered
731 Posts
To the OP, my two cents is that you should find a gear that lets you have the most fun on the trails / routes you want to ride... and go for it. If you end up at 32x20 (or lower, for that matter), who cares? This isn't a macho competition, and it's easy enough to gear up later as you gain strength or start riding different routes.

Me? On my geared bike, I can barely push 32x22 up the trails I ride after work... and since I'm building my first SS as an after-work bike, I'm starting with that ratio. Of course, we have almost no flats out there (climb up, bomb down... nothing in between), so I'm not worried about spinning-out the gear.

Go have fun.

--MW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts