Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little about me: 5-8, 195 (should be 175), 46 yrs old. I used to ride religeously 8-10 years ago and raced in amateur races in Big Bear and SD County. I have had a Trek Fuel w/ full XTR since that model came out (1994?) but it's been hanging in the garage for 3-4 years solid. I've been riding 'real' dirt bikes :eek: all that time. Fast forward to July 2009 when I broke my femur and destroyed my left knee. After sitting on the couch for (5) months, I decided to start riding again to get back in shape.

I live in North SD County and do most of my riding up here now (Hodges and Daley Ranch are about my spped for now). As I get in better shape, I'd like to get back to Noble Cyn, Lake Morena, Big Bear and areas with more climbing. I don't need to climb fast at my age. I just like to get in a low gear and grind away. Heck, after riding in Durango Mtn last summer, I'm not sure I need to go fast downhill any more either.

So what do you think? Would the Blur LTc be a good choice? What's a good fork up front? I like 'simple' and don't like to tinker with my set-up once I get it dialed in. I don't need 27 different settings, etc...I won't say money is not a factor but I'm open to any and all suggestions on keeping the bike as light as possible but more importantly keeping it reliable. Admittedly, all this new high tech stuff (tubeless tires, adjustable seat posts, and even disc brakes) weren't around last time I went bike shopping so I need all the help I can get. Thanks!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you are looking for a trail bike that will do it all, then the LTc is the bike. With all the new technology these days I would say that it is hard to get your bike dialed in the first time. I am a huge fan of the Fox 32 Talas 150 FIT RLC fork. It does take me 4-5 tries to get it dialed in, but once it is, it is worth it. I really like having the 120mm travel adjust for the big, steeper climbs. If you don't want to worry about that, then go with the 32 float, or Rock Shox Revelation RLT Ti is a great fork too. If you have the money and want a lighter bike, then I would say throw down on a full Sram X0 set up (drive train, and brakes). You could go 3x9, 3x10, or 2x10. I had an X0 3x9 set up last year, and loved it. My bike was around 28 lbs with a dropper post (Gravity Dropper Turbo recommended). This year I am going to try out the 2x10, and see how it treats me. I am guessing this bike will be about a half pound lighter still with a dropper post. I would think that is going to be your best drivetrain option if you care about weight. For wheels, I love the Mavic Crossmax ST. They are very light (1615 grams) and durable. DT Swiss EX are great too. I am a bigger guy (250 lbs) so I don't prefer to run tubeless tires, just the trusty ol' Kenda Nevegals. Get a good carbon handlebar, and you will be good to go. These are all my preferences as you can see. XTR, XT, X9 will all do great too for drivetrain. Good Luck

·
Registered
777 Posts
k2rider1964 said:
A little about me: 5-8, 195 (should be 175), 46 yrs old. I used to ride religeously 8-10 years ago and raced in amateur races in Big Bear and SD County. I have had a Trek Fuel w/ full XTR since that model came out (1994?) but it's been hanging in the garage for 3-4 years solid. I've been riding 'real' dirt bikes :eek: all that time. Fast forward to July 2009 when I broke my femur and destroyed my left knee. After sitting on the couch for (5) months, I decided to start riding again to get back in shape.

I live in North SD County and do most of my riding up here now (Hodges and Daley Ranch are about my spped for now). As I get in better shape, I'd like to get back to Noble Cyn, Lake Morena, Big Bear and areas with more climbing. I don't need to climb fast at my age. I just like to get in a low gear and grind away. Heck, after riding in Durango Mtn last summer, I'm not sure I need to go fast downhill any more either.

So what do you think? Would the Blur LTc be a good choice? What's a good fork up front? I like 'simple' and don't like to tinker with my set-up once I get it dialed in. I don't need 27 different settings, etc...I won't say money is not a factor but I'm open to any and all suggestions on keeping the bike as light as possible but more importantly keeping it reliable. Admittedly, all this new high tech stuff (tubeless tires, adjustable seat posts, and even disc brakes) weren't around last time I went bike shopping so I need all the help I can get. Thanks!!
I sent you a PM with my set up and my review on the S/C BlurLT2-carbon... Which I posted on mtbr.com awhile back... Hope this helps you... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
777 Posts
rbcdeus said:
Can you send me the same PM please!
Just PM you Bro... Enjoy !!! Like I said the only change in my listed set up is... tires Running the new WeirWolf TCS 2.3- The best 26inch tires... I have run to date !!! And for seat- running the WTB Team Rocket with Ti rails... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
sooo, can I have this review as well?? heehe, or better, could you post it here? and I'm also interested in knowing the differences between the LT2alu and the Carbon version. Is it worth to upgrade a LT2alu to a LT2c?? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
JohnnyG 1970 said:
Just PM you Bro... Enjoy !!! Like I said the only change in my listed set up is... tires Running the new WeirWolf TCS 2.3- The best 26inch tires... I have run to date !!! And for seat- running the WTB Team Rocket with Ti rails... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Received the PM!! cheers for that, great review!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JohnnyG 1970 said:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Geez, I'm glad I don't have to pay the royalty fee on the :thumbsup: symbol in this thread. :p

To the OP - if you're interested in building up a LTc, Competitive Cyclist has 2010 frames in medium (steel blue only) at $1699 now. I paid $1899 a couple months ago and thought that was a really good deal . . . XCs are $1599.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
I ride an AL BlurLT2 out here in SoCal (LA area) and the bike is perfect IMO for the type of riding I do. It climbs well and descends well and can handle some small drops no problem. I've not yet tried anything bigger than 2' but it handled that with ease and didn't bottom out the RP23.

I'm 5'9 ~160 geared up. Running a 2011 Blur LT2 with a 32mm Fox Float 150 RLC and a 10spd. XT drivetrain. Great rig for sure . . . my biggest complaint is about the brakes, but this is Avid's issue, not the bike.

·
Registered
808 Posts
dapozer said:
cuz I am also looking at a bl2c or tallboy
I had a BLT1, at 2008 trade for a alu BLT2 and last summer vacations I had the Tallboy to test.

Is different. You note the difference at the RP23 more progressive, more uncomfortable than BLT.
Climb better, accelerate better, on pavement or fire roads it's better. Going down on rocky trails the 29" don't let you tell that you are on a 100mm bike, don't tell the difference between Tallboy and BLT.

I like a lot of the Tallboy, but the BLT is my choice!!

Sorry some Portuguese words ;)

If I trade my bike know, it was for a carbon BLT with a Fox 150mm Talas 2011.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Pau11y said:
Close to my spec, except mine is a '11 Float RLC :D
Here it is Guys... Enjoy... :D Frame- 2010 Santa Cruz BlurLT2 carbon, size medium, color, steelBlue/Siver, shock-Fox 2010 rp-23 BV.

Fork-2010 Fox 32 Talas 150 FIT RLC Disc-Tapered Steerer 15mm QR

Bars-Easton Monkeylike DH Carbon

Stem-Thomson X4 Stem 31.8-0 degree Black 80mm

Grips-Lizard Skins Steve.P Lock on

Shifters-Shimano XT, Front and Rear

Brakes-Shimano XT, Front 203mm, Rear 180mm

Cranks-Shimano XT, 175mm, running two Chain Rings, with E-13 Bash Guard 40T

Seat-WTB Team Rocket Ti Rails color Baby Blue…

Seat Post-Thomson Elite

Peddles-Shimano PD-M647

Wheels-American Classic All Mountain 26" Disc Wheelset 2010, 15mm Front Hub-135mm QR

Tires- WTB WeirWolf TCS 2.3 Front and rear, Tubes Slime.

Headset-Chris King Inset 1-1/8"to 1.5 Mixed Tapered, color Black

Bottom Bracket-Chris King Grease able BB color Red

Cassette- Sram PG 990 9 Speed 11-34

Chain-Sram PC 991 Chain w/ PowerLink

Front Der- Shimano Bolt on XT made for the BlurLtc

Rear Der-Shimano Saint Med cage

I have four good long rides on my 2010 S/C BlurLT2 c now. Here is my review of the bike. This is the stiffest MTB frame I have ever owned hands down. I have owned Trek-Liquid, Spec Hard Tail, Old School F/S, 2007 Spec Enduro Elite, 2008 Spec Enduro Comp,2008 Spec Enduro Expert, Intense 2009 Tracer Vpp, Santa Cruz 2009 Nomad2, and Chameleon. The three bikes I own now are my favorite bikes. 2010 S/C BlurLT2, 2010 S/C BlurLT2 c, 2010 Niner EMD Note in the winter I will be getting a S/C Tall Boy.

This bike feels a lot lighter than it is. My bike wt is 31+ lbs but does not feel that heavy at all. Aim and shoot, this bike goes and holds a great line very solid. Hills- climbs like a Hard Tail. No peddle feedback at all. Note- I don't use the granny gear at all. Because there is no flex in this frame. When climbing hills the bikes just grips and rips. The acceleration up short and long climbs is amazing!!! Get on the cranks the bike just responses very quick. Rocks, Logs, Roots, Rock Gardens, Drops, Rock Rollers- Rocks and Logs- the bike just rolls over them with ease!!! I don't design bikes, but my thinking is because the frame is so stiff and solid, it doesn't get hung up AKA- want to stall on tricky rough stuff like- Rocks, large roots, large logs. Because the bike accelerates so fast, you don't lose momentum. It is so easy to keep this bike rolling over very rough stuff, which normally would slow you down. Rock Gardens- When hitting rockgradens I like to go through them as fast as I can. This bike is so predictable at all times. I am able to hit the Rock Gardens faster and faster. On flats, down hills, or going up. I find with the BlurLT c. You don't have to finesse this bike at all. Pick a line and just go. You can concentrate 100% on what your doing not on the short coming of a poor handling bike or poor designed bike with a shi* rear shock on it. The BlurLT2 c is fast, very fast for a 5+ Travel bike. Corners- curving corners on this bike is sick!!! Feels like it's a train on rails, its that solid. No rear end flex!!! If you want a bike that has a great rear shock-Fox 2010 rp-23 BV-Fox got it right this time! SUPER STIFF FRAME, peddles like like a HT, holds a GREAT line when going through very rough stuff. This is the bike for you. I 'm very happy with this bike. My only complain is. I wish S/C had this bike available a lot sooner.

·
Registered
777 Posts
OO7 said:
I ride an AL BlurLT2 out here in SoCal (LA area) and the bike is perfect IMO for the type of riding I do. It climbs well and descends well and can handle some small drops no problem. I've not yet tried anything bigger than 2' but it handled that with ease and didn't bottom out the RP23.

I'm 5'9 ~160 geared up. Running a 2011 Blur LT2 with a 32mm Fox Float 150 RLC and a 10spd. XT drivetrain. Great rig for sure . . . my biggest complaint is about the brakes, but this is Avid's issue, not the bike.
I run 2010 Shimano XT on all three of my S/C bikes... With No problems with the brakes at all !!! Had Avids in the past came on two Spes... Do not like their brakes at all... Getting the new 2011 Shimano XTR Trail for my S/C TallBoy... :thumbsup: P.S I found with the Avids its either hit or miss with those brakes...

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
JohnnyG 1970 said:
This is the stiffest MTB frame I have ever owned hands down. ...SUPER STIFF FRAME...
I've been hearing this aspect of SC's carbon on every review. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up against a DH bike...my main riding focus. I know, two different animals...just saying I'd be curious on the comparison. I'll report back mid-summer.

New DH ride will be the '11 Canfield Jedi.

Thanx for throwing that up there JohnnyG.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.