Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok- i have decided on buying either ov these two kona's - kona cinder cone or kona scrap - now i ususally go in the mountains in italy but this bike is staying in australia where there's barley any alps. and i wanted to know - is the cinder cone better for urban and normal off-road - or is the scrap better. the scrap has a level like this which i saw on the magazine:
(5 is highest)

competition: 3. Freeride: 4. Climber: 4. and cross country: 3. Now that sounds OK for urban.

now the cinder cone is like this:
competition: 4 freeride: 1. Climber: 4. and cross country: 5.

i am stuck between these choices. i dont really go dirt jumping much so i would rather the cinder cone but then again the scrap has a high freeride level which is better for jumps and drops. so if you would help me decide, i mean - your the people who do this stuff for a living...
and you can always decide another bike which is better (preferably a kona - and the maximum amount of money is below 900 euros) - thanks...

·
Registered
30 Posts
First, the disclaimer: I've never ridden either of these bikes.

With that said, the cinder cone is a much better bike in terms of components, and should hold up well unless you're doing bigger/lots of jumps. The drivetrain on the scrap isn't too great. I wouldn't settle for less than Deore level components. The alivio front deraileur on my Trek 4900 isn't too hot. The cinder cone is most likely lighter, and thus easier to ride around.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
oh yeah - i have oone last question. Is the cinder cone absolutely FINE for going down stair gaps? (not in air - just down alot of stairs without anything braking or falling of) and medium drops and a few medium jumps?Not hardcore jumps. If i did that i would certainly buy the scrap but i live in a city that's 75% urban so i could create little jumps.
P.S - If you know what the great victorian bike ride in Victoria - Australia is, i need a good bike for that next year

·
Registered
30 Posts
Shave It said:
oh yeah - i have oone last question. Is the cinder cone absolutely FINE for going down stair gaps? (not in air - just down alot of stairs without anything braking or falling of) and medium drops and a few medium jumps?Not hardcore jumps. If i did that i would certainly buy the scrap but i live in a city that's 75% urban so i could create little jumps.
P.S - If you know what the great victorian bike ride in Victoria - Australia is, i need a good bike for that next year

I've never ridden the cinder cone, so I can't speak for certain about the reliability, but when I went to a bike shop to see whats available to replace my trek 4900, the salesmen said that Kona bikes are renowned for their reliability and their frames are very durable. He said that he rides a kona for that reason.

Also, I've done 3-4 foot drops on my Trek 4900, and crashed :( on jumps about that size, and my frame and drivetrain are still in one piece. I may have to replace at least my rear wheel soon, but thats from bashing it on logs and rocks too many times.

The people in your local bike shop can probably help you more with durability than I can.

And no, I don't know what the great victorian bike ride is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wzictrace said:
I've never ridden the cinder cone, so I can't speak for certain about the reliability, but when I went to a bike shop to see whats available to replace my trek 4900, the salesmen said that Kona bikes are renowned for their reliability and their frames are very durable. He said that he rides a kona for that reason.

Also, I've done 3-4 foot drops on my Trek 4900, and crashed :( on jumps about that size, and my frame and drivetrain are still in one piece. I may have to replace at least my rear wheel soon, but thats from bashing it on logs and rocks too many times.

The people in your local bike shop can probably help you more with durability than I can.

And no, I don't know what the great victorian bike ride is.
thanks about the frame info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts