Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AM hardtail is to heavy for my liking. I not lokking to crazy light, but lighter. I need some opinions on wheelsets, fork, and light mech. disc brakes. I would like a 130mm fork. Keep in mind that I am on a tight budget.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
jonnyp said:
My AM hardtail is to heavy for my liking. I not lokking to crazy light, but lighter. I need some opinions on wheelsets, fork, and light mech. disc brakes. I would like a 130mm fork. Keep in mind that I am on a tight budget.
Ummmm........throw us a clue here.....

We need to know what you're setup is now, and a better idea of what your budget is overall before we can really make any suggestions.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
True, scrub. There's an old saying in building hot rods and performance vehicles. How fast do you want to go?...how much do you have to spend?

For bikes, the old K. Bontrager rule doesn't apply as rigidly as it used to, but there's still a reality element of "how light and strong you want a bike component to be vs. how much you want to spend".

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
jonnyp said:
As mentioned, more details needed,
like,
fork - do you want to go 20mm or stay QR?

QR - Marz AMSL, Manitou Minute 3 or 4 (32mm stanchions) or Nixon Elite, RS Recon/Revelation, Fox Vanilla/Float.

Deals can be found on all these, Minute and Nixon might be the best prices right now (<$300).

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry I didn't give enough info. my current setup was:
frame-Gary fisher opie(biggn's hardtail)
fork-Marzocchi MZ comp(already got rid of that heavy POS)
wheels: front-sun ditch witch. rear-axis or axel DM 24 (both pretty heavy)
brakes-no brakes
that's the stuff that I want to change. everything else is fine for now. Im shooting for under 30lbs. Im a small rider so I can get away with a lighter bike, but Im not a smooth rider. I have a new DH bike coming so most of my money is going towards that. I would only like to spend like $600. BTW I work in a shop so I can get everything at cost.
if you guys need for info just let me know.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
The Opie is a pretty neat burly hardtail. A guy who rides around our area has one. Since you have a really big hit bike coming, and the fact that you're posting this on the AM forum, apparently you're looking for a trail setup. I think I'd look around for something like a Manitou Minute or other relatively light and inexpensive fork. Since you work at a shop, check out QBP's online closeout on forks, as you can often find a decent 4 or 5 inch option there...and look at other wholesale retailers that are available to bike shops. Also you can sometimes find some surprisingly good closeout deals from the fork manufacturers as a shop employee.

Wheelsets can be tough. Except for closeout deals like I suggested on forks, it's harder to find strong and inexpensive wheelsets...generally the money, strength, and lighter weight always go hand-in-hand on wheels more than any other component. It's still possible, however, and you can find some relatively light/strong deals on XT hubbed wheels that use a good mid-range Mavic rim and DT spokes. These wheels, seen on sale all over the place, may be the best value to weight to strength examples around. And don't forget your tires. For trail you can really drop some weight while retaining a decently burly tire...WTB Weirwolf Race 2.5 models for example...730g...even lighter if you want a smaller tire.

You mention cable pull disc brakes. There's only one choice IMO...Avid. Now, you can choose between the BB5s or BB7s, as I think the BB5s work just about as good...adjustability being the biggest advantage in the BB7s.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Avid mechanicals are sick. I have bb7's on my singlespeed now. when I got my new bike with hayes hydros, i really missed the simple pad adjustment. go for a 7" front rotor.
As for a fork, i would stay away from a spv minute. i have heard only good about nixons though. a rockshox tora would be very nice and improve the ride (i have one on ebay right now) but it wouldn't save you much weight. check out the revelation and pike also. can't help you on wheels except that both my bikes have wtb speedisc wheels. they are really cheap and hold up.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
alxbrsk, he wanted a 130mm fork. And though those forks you recommended are good ones, they'd all have to be run at reduced settings all the time...not usually optimum. Seems like a waste to spend a good deal of money on a heavier long travel fork just to run it at lower travel settings. I have recently seen the Nixon Elite TPC fork on sale for $250 in an '05 model if the OP wants a longer fork.

I don't know...the lighter weight request and price restraint will limit the field a bit on the fork.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Ooops...for a minute there I thought the Revelation was a 145mm fork, but I realize it's a 130mm. Yeah, that looks like a very good choice for the weight and money. I'd go for that one. Is that sale on the 409 or 426?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
BallPark weight formula

scrublover said:
Ummmm........throw us a clue here.....

We need to know what you're setup is now, and a better idea of what your budget is overall before we can really make any suggestions.
Total weight = Frame weight + 19-24 pounds of components

This gives you a range of very reliable all-mountain rigs in the range 25-30 total. Anything more then that in components might add more strength, bigger brakes, more travel (front or back), coil instead of air and ... cheaper components :eekster:

I am 155 pounds body weight and the bike is at around 26 pounds total, starting with a 6.3 frame, 5" front/back, 2.4/2,25 tires, 180/160 disc brakes. At my weight the bike seems bulletproof with a max of 3' drops.

Your weight is important: a 220 guy cannot get away with just 19 pounds in components.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TNC said:
Ooops...for a minute there I thought the Revelation was a 145mm fork, but I realize it's a 130mm. Yeah, that looks like a very good choice for the weight and money. I'd go for that one. Is that sale on the 409 or 426?
$207 is my price from QBP for the 426

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
ferday said:
what's your parts spec?

i don't believe you right now...
My point is not really what my rig weights, but that you can build a VERY solid all-mountain bike with anywhere between 19 and 24 pounds of components. Nothing controversial here: there are A LOT of all-mountain bikes in the 25-30 pounds (total) range :thumbsup:

I am at the very low end of the spectrum with 19pounds+ of components. if you look at the components carefully you can see how adding 2-4 pounds builds a VERY strong (way more then I need) bike. The only component that might (might) be a bit flexy in the list below iare the BB/cranks, but a stiffer set up (ISIS or external) would add no weight. platform pedals are an option: add 150 grams. Anyway: a 26pounds all mountain (even starting with a 6.3 pounds Horst 5-spot) is VERY feasible.

BRAKES (gr) Brakes Complete Magura Marta (180/160 tuned alu/titanium) 690
DRIVE TRAIN
TNT Titanium BB 160
Race Face LP 170 mm with Sugino rings titanium/aluminum bolts 580
Pedals Frog (steel) 250
Rear Der Sachs Tuned alu 191
Front Der (tuned alu) 126
SRAM 850 11-32 260
Chain (SRAM PC99) 275​
CONTROLS (gr)
Grips (Azonic Love: heavy!) 110
HandleBar Easton Monkeylite HR 165
Shifters (Sachs R cut and tuned alu bolts) 135
Shifter Cables (Clarks) 150
Stem 110 (Thomson tuned titanium) 180
Seatpost collar (titanium bolt) 16
Chris King (tuned/titanium/home made carbon top cap 4gr) 120
Seat Post (Thompson, titanium bolts) 225
Seat (WTB Stealth) 230​
FORK (gr) Fox Fork Vanilla (PUSH) 1810
WHEELS (gr)
Front+Rear Garcia/WTB 1580
Skwewers (steel non-quick release) 60
Tires (Schwalbe Big Jimmy 2.25+Nobby Nick 2.4) 1220
Tubes (Torelli) 260​

Total Components (Kg) 8.793
Total Components (pounds) 19.37

FRAME (gr) Medium Horst 5-Spot Frame (RP3/PUSH) (titanium kit) 2791

TOTAL (Kg) 11.584
(lbs) 25.515

Add 1/2 pound for grease and other stuff like a bell

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.