Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help making a few purchases, Long story short, I ride all kinds of mountain bikes, Dh, Am, Xc & Dj, I've now expanded even more and got a new cx bike which will see road duty all summer and possibly a cx race or two next winter, but like I said all road for the next while, Now being a total noob in this road stuff, I need a few things, first and foremost, is shoes and pedals, I'm a flats for life kinda guy and know nothing of clipping in, next id like to get some sort of speedo/gps thing to track my riding and yes I do use strava so if there's something affordable kind does it all please let me know, and last but not least should I buy a nice saddle, is there big difference between a road saddle and a xc saddle? well thanks ahead for any advice or input you may have, thanks.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have ridden road bikes for a long time which is good and bad. The bad is because I started riding before clipless pedals back when you actually strapped your feet to the pedals with a plastic cleat to keep it form moving.

Personally I think that clipless is the only way to go even if I don't ride that way. The good is that I have improvised over the years. If you really can't, or don't want to adapt to clipless, you can run a just the toe clips and straps without the cleat. You will lose some performance, but it is close to riding with platforms. I use a Specialized sport road shoe with a rubber sole.

As for saddles, I don't see a lot of difference unless you are a super weight weenie.

John

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
If you go to clipless I would suggest a duel sided pedal ,I have run SPD and Crank Bros. mountain pedals on my road bike for years. You can use shoes that you walk around in,it's easier to find binding.There a ton of speedo's/gps's out there,what do you want that Strava doesn't have?

G

·
I raced CX with standard eggbeaters and they worked great. I alway raced wearing hi-topped Sidi Mountain shoes. It just seemed that the ankle needed more support off the bike and a little more protection during the remount. I run the same seat on everything, find one that fits and stick to it. One word of caution. I used a one-bolt seat post and had my seat change angles dramatically during a race so I rode standing to the pit to change bikes. That was the last one-bolt post I ever used. Sure I have time to fix that issue on my commute and I don't put that much stress on my current bikes, but a CX remount is tough on seatposts so be sure things are tight.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I wouldn't recommend putting road pedals on a CX bike, but rather something like SPD pedals. If you want a good, inexpensive GPS device to use with Strava consider the CatEye Stealth computers. $150 gets you a decent ANT+ GPS computer. I've been using one since last Fall and have nothing negative to say about it. If you compare it to high end Garmins you'll be disappointed, but for basic functions it does great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.