Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Trying to find Flow
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me, or is the 1upUSA trainer a major letdown?

Let me just preface by saying I don't have and axe to grind. I know how popular this things are, and I really really want to like it. In fact, I'd been waiting two years for my old trainer to finally crap out so I could get one. Well, I finally did and I'm not really impressed.

I read tons of reviews here on MTBR that described it as "rock solid". Really? I find I don't actually rock back and forth but sway. I look and I can see the frame flexing. BTW I weigh 150 lbs and have no sprint. Yesterday, my bike completely rocked itself out of the thing. With the rocking, I can also get it to "walk" forward on its legs. I'm constantly adjusting the length to get them so they're not moving around so much, but to no avail.

I could get used to the rocking, but I'm not all that sold on the feel of it. I think I prefer the smoother, more linear progression of fluid trainers. It's easier to use your gears to find the right power level.. It's harder to make that judgement when the power increases exponentially with cadence. It just doesn't really feel natural to me.

In its favor, I have to say the thing looks like quality, with that neat CNCed and anodized aluminum. And the release mechanism is actually a very clever design. I'm just not digging it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hmmm...thats odd, mine doesnt rock one bit. I just got done riding it, and the thing is as quiet as the day I bought it (2 years ago). Are you sure you have the bike clamped down enough? I never heard of anyone completely rocking out of it!! I do look down in my hard sprints and see a sway of MAYBE 1 inch.....but thats during an all out effort. I say try and set it up a bit differently....you should not be having the problems you are experiencing.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
What kind of skewers are you using? Some of the skewers out there don't clamp well. I think 1UPS will even send you a free skewer. You might want to contact them.

Unless you have a totally defective unit, there is no way the trainer is flexing under your weight.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
Patchito said:
Is it me, or is the 1upUSA trainer a major letdown?

I read tons of reviews here on MTBR that described it as "rock solid".
Maybe the skewer cups are too far out, or you have a Shimano - type QR that doesn't seat well in the cups.I'd check the setup of it. Mine doesn't move at all.

That said, mine doesn't move at all from underneath the bed where it has been collecting dust for 18 months either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.