Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an 08 EX9 and want to shave some weight off it. So far i got ...

1. XO shifters
2. Thompson master piece seat post
3. XTR cassette
4. KMC X9 chain
5. WTP Rocket V SLT seat

The bike is brand new and has about 30 miles on it. I will be selling the stock parts i take off asap. Anything else i can do to lighten it up without weakening the bike? I do some drops and DH so i dont want to go too light ...... Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
REALLY ......? I thought the XT cranks were pretty light and veryy strong? As for the wheels i am not going to drop that kinda coin as the race lites are not too shabby either. i will be goint tubeless though once i sell the stock race light seat post, race lite seat and x9 shifters.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't blame you for not dropping that kind of money on wheels. I was told the XTR cranks would save some weight, but 60 grams isn't worth the money in return. Check the weight of the tubeless set up. I've been told going tubless may not save much weight.

·
not really an mtbr member
640 Posts
X0 twisties are amazing for some people. it's really a love/hate thing, the people (like me) that like twisties think they're the best thing around, but i know people that can't stand the idea of them.

but as far as wheels go, check out something like the bonty rhythm pro, you might like them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
theextremist04 said:
X0 twisties are amazing for some people. it's really a love/hate thing, the people (like me) that like twisties think they're the best thing around, but i know people that can't stand the idea of them.
I hear you on that. i cant stand the twist shifters, but hey to each his own.

theextremist04 said:
but as far as wheels go, check out something like the bonty rhythm pro, you might like them.
Yeah i hear you ...... i am sure there is some LBS to drop on the wheels, but i just got a new set of king hubs and dt swiss 510 for my 6.6 and am broke now. So the wheels will have to be changed out later.

·
Registered
598 Posts
V2PRODUCTS said:
I just got an 08 EX9 and want to shave some weight off it. So far i got ...

1. XO shifters
2. Thompson master piece seat post
3. XTR cassette
4. KMC X9 chain
5. WTP Rocket V SLT seat

The bike is brand new and has about 30 miles on it. I will be selling the stock parts i take off asap. Anything else i can do to lighten it up without weakening the bike? I do some drops and DH so i dont want to go too light ...... Thanks
I would also look into getting some carbon bars. You can easily save 100grams there and make your bike more bling at the same time. I have the easton monkey lite sl bars and do plenty of jumps/drops with no issues. Also what pedals are you running? You may be able to shave some weight there too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.