Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked it up used (hardly) off ebay for a song. It could pass for new. Not sure of the weight, but would like to drop some weight from it, if that were easily done. Any suggestions?

I put on an old saddle and pedals on from the closet so those are the first items to be swapped out. Looking for a saddle that will match the rest of the bike aesthetically without weighing a ton. Probably will go with regular Eggs for the pedals.

Build:
Frame: Litespeed custom Lookout (spec'd for 100mm form and non-integrated headset and using a different downtube).
Fork: Fox Float 100RLC
Wheels: Mavic X317 on King ISO hubs with Wheelsmith spokes
Headset: King
Thompson stem and seatpost.
Cranks: Raceface Next LP splined
BB: Raceface (not sure which version).
Front derailleur: XTR
Rear derailleur: SRAM X-0
Shifters: SRAM X-0 twisters
Bar: Monkeylite riser bar
Brakes: Shimano XT hydraulic discs
Tires: Specialized Fatboys

To me this seems like a reasonable compromise between durability and weight. The CK ISO wheelset feels a little heavy to me (without a scale). How much could I expect to drop by going to a Hugi wheelset?

The only other thing I might swap would be the brakes and Thompson stem and seatpost.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Jess

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
tingj said:
I picked it up used (hardly) off ebay for a song. It could pass for new. Not sure of the weight, but would like to drop some weight from it, if that were easily done. Any suggestions?

I put on an old saddle and pedals on from the closet so those are the first items to be swapped out. Looking for a saddle that will match the rest of the bike aesthetically without weighing a ton. Probably will go with regular Eggs for the pedals.

Build:
Frame: Litespeed custom Lookout (spec'd for 100mm form and non-integrated headset and using a different downtube).

To me this seems like a reasonable compromise between durability and weight. The CK ISO wheelset feels a little heavy to me (without a scale). How much could I expect to drop by going to a Hugi wheelset?

The only other thing I might swap would be the brakes and Thompson stem and seatpost.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Jess
Hi Jess,

That does look like a decent built to start from. I agree with your thoughts on the stem and seatpost. I would switch to v-brakes and save quite a bit of weight, but there are those who swear by disc brakes so your mileage may vary. You will really notice the difference switching to Conti GP's since it looks like you are looking for a lighter weight slick tire. You could probably pick up 100g or so with other disc hubs (check out the WTB Laser Disc Lites), but you could pick up even more if you ditch the discs and go v-brake :)

Good luck and Congrats on the new ride,
Robert

·
Registered
563 Posts
sure, change the king hubset for wtb would be a smart downgrade. :rolleyes: ...

i would change:
seat
brakes,
chainrings
bb if its not ti
inner tubes if its not light ones
pedals
tune it with ti/al bolts.

that frames is not light but is bullet proof. just like the rest of your components.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks like you have time pedals, if they're not the titanium axle version they're likely clydesdales, get some expedo or crank brothers titanium offerings might save 100g or more. The RF rings on the crankset are sturdy and shift well, but are heavy, little ring is steel, you could save ~100gm on a lighter ring set. Losing rotating mass is the first place to start, then go for other stuff. Simple things like swapping to some Titec Pork Rind grips(22gm/pr) could save some weight cheap.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
tingj said:

Build:

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Jess
Like Turb0 said, its nice as it is, but if you must:

SLR Ti seat
Syntace F99 stem (or Pazzaz if you're on a budget)
Kenda Karma DTC tires with tubeless conversion
Foam grips
When your chain wears out, replace it with a SRAM PC-89r Hollowpin
Ti BB if you don't already have one
SpeedCific bolt on Skewers

If your crankset is a compact 58/94 pattern, go to a 20t small chainring and a Dura-Ace 12-27 cassette.

Oh, and keep the King wheelset

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'll swap My Hugis for your Kings.

But my advice is keep the Kings. I have some Hugi240/ Mavic 317s and sure they're light- and O.K if you keep them away from mud, rain, light fog or humidity above 5%. Very nice bike.

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
I agree, keep the Kings. Frankly the bike looks great and I wouldn't worry about trying to dump weight as it seems to be a good build with reliable components.

If you decide you want to dump the Kings, let me know as I am planning on going to discs on my hardtail soon and am looking for some good disc wheels.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Don't you ever drop your Kings...A lot of guys here would be very happy to catch..and that's including me...hehehe...

·
College
1,198 Posts
Iif you have time you could relace your wheels and use CX rays or some other Aero spokes instead. That could save 100 grams or so

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All good advice. Thanks. Not to perseverate on this, but it's just that the bike is suprisingly heavy. I haven't weighed it, but I'm guessing it might weight around 24 lbs. I was expecting lighter for a titanium hardtail with fairly high end components.

I think I've decided on either and SI SLK or SLR saddles and Eggbeaters. Then I'll take it to a bike shop and have it weighed.

I wonder why Litespeed discontinued the Lookout Mountain after such a short run. Could it be because it was unpopular due to it's ~4lb weight? After all, their new FS bike is only 0.5 lbs heavier than that!

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
tingj said:
All good advice. Thanks. Not to perseverate on this, but it's just that the bike is suprisingly heavy. I haven't weighed it, but I'm guessing it might weight around 24 lbs. I was expecting lighter for a titanium hardtail with fairly high end components.

I think I've decided on either and SI SLK or SLR saddles and Eggbeaters. Then I'll take it to a bike shop and have it weighed.

I wonder why Litespeed discontinued the Lookout Mountain after such a short run. Could it be because it was unpopular due to it's ~4lb weight? After all, their new FS bike is only 0.5 lbs heavier than that!
Those XT disks are great functionally, but not the lightest disc systems out there. But even with a 4 lbs frame, you should still be able to get it into the 22's without much trouble and with disc brakes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
STicking to the CHEAP options!

clean the cassette?

possibly shorten the chain by 2 links?

Titec foam grips

I currently run Continental Grand Prix 26 x 1 tyres. If you want slicks, they weighed 209g each (195g "clamied"). Still haven't found the "holy grail" of 1 inch mtb tubes. I currently run Spec 26 x 1.15's (87g)

Nice to see you are running in ULTIMATE ww mode with NO dust caps!

Could you live with a lower stem - cut the steerer down?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't build the bike so I'm not sure. The shifter cables are some type of avid cable. Very pretty. Not sure which model. The brake cables are braided steel. I'll check on the name when I get home. Frankly, haven't noficed a difference from normal cables in function, but they may be more durable. I have the new XTR on my other bike and the front shifter cable housing "disintegrated" into dozens of fine wires when the bike was a week old. The feel of the hydraulic brakes is similar to my XTR discs on the other bike, although I've only ridden this one in the city.

Jess

nathasm said:
What kind of cables are those...how have they held up? I've tried the Nokon cables and haven't had much luck...looking for something "better".
.nathan.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hear you on the cheap options. I just bought someone's used Continental Grand Prix tires for $20 here on mtbr. Not I'm not just a weight weenie but a change cheapie. They should shave 1/2 lb compared to the Specialized 1.25 fatboys and have lower rolling resistance too. Now I can keep up with the roadies on my training rides without looking like a roadie, although I will admit the bike looks pretty weird with the slicks. I get plenty of stares in central park. Nobody seems to know what to make of this bike.

jess

Tippster said:
clean the cassette?

possibly shorten the chain by 2 links?

Titec foam grips

I currently run Continental Grand Prix 26 x 1 tyres. If you want slicks, they weighed 209g each (195g "clamied"). Still haven't found the "holy grail" of 1 inch mtb tubes. I currently run Spec 26 x 1.15's (87g)

Nice to see you are running in ULTIMATE ww mode with NO dust caps!

Could you live with a lower stem - cut the steerer down?

·
Registered
110 Posts
click my profile to see my bike

I'm running a HT mtb with slicks Conti GP's (17.5lbs)

I'm also planning on adding a set of aero bars.

possibly switching to a 48T chainring and 700c wheels.

As I run discs it is possible to get a set of 700c wheels built around a mtb disc hub and switch back to 26" mtb wheels with nobblies for off-road.

my aims for the next 6 to 12 months is to achieve a
sub 5 hour century on road.
sub 12 hour century off-road.

I've only been riding for 15 months, so a challenge I'm looking forward too.

I also like the feeling of chasing down "roadies". They sure do look at you strange when they see a guy on a HT mtb drafting behind them at 25mph.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
tingj said:
Technicaly they didn't discontinue it too early. The Lookout was around for much longer with the Toccoa name. In '02 they made it disc specific and called it the lookout but its the same frame.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sweet bike Tippster! 17.5 lbs would have been considered super light for a road bike just a few years ago. To achieve that weight with a MTB is something else. But aero bars and 700C wheels? At that point, you'd basically have a road/cross bike, no?

A 5 hour century? I'd be impressed if you could do that on any bike, much less a mountain bike.

JT

Tippster said:
I'm running a HT mtb with slicks Conti GP's (17.5lbs)

I'm also planning on adding a set of aero bars.

possibly switching to a 48T chainring and 700c wheels.

As I run discs it is possible to get a set of 700c wheels built around a mtb disc hub and switch back to 26" mtb wheels with nobblies for off-road.

my aims for the next 6 to 12 months is to achieve a
sub 5 hour century on road.
sub 12 hour century off-road.

I've only been riding for 15 months, so a challenge I'm looking forward too.

I also like the feeling of chasing down "roadies". They sure do look at you strange when they see a guy on a HT mtb drafting behind them at 25mph.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts