Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to drop some weight on the nomad. Where would be the place to do so? Current weight is 33 lbs on the dot.

Frame: 08 Nomad,X Large, Ano
headset: 1.5 king
Shock: Fox DHX 5 Air
Fork: 09 36 Van RC2 1.5
Wheels: WTB laser disk Trail wheelset, 28 holes
Brakes:hayes stroker trails. 8 in
Shifters: x9
Der: x9 med cage
Cranks: Shimano XT
chain guide: gamut p30, 36T single ring
Pedals: time z
Saddle: WTB silverado
Bar: monkey lite DH
Grips: wtb moto
stem: thompson 45mmx1.5 x4
2.3 wtb weirwolf race and wtb standard tubes

weight is spot o 33. how do i lighten it!?!?

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Spokes? Hubs? Mavic XM819s will save you 50g total. Lace 'em to King Hubs and DT Swiss spokes. Rolling weight is definitely your best bet. What kind of springs do you have in the Vanilla? Thought about titanium? XTR cogset?

·
Banned
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stock steel springs. didnt know Ti were avail for the fork. have a pg 990 cassette now. seems like the xtr would drop a fair amt of weight. i too was thinking wheels were the best bet. guess that ll be the next upgrade.

·
Registered
778 Posts
SJensen said:
Looking to drop some weight on the nomad. Where would be the place to do so? Current weight is 33 lbs on the dot.

Frame: 08 Nomad,X Large, Ano
headset: 1.5 king
Shock: Fox DHX 5 Air
Fork: 09 36 Van RC2 1.5 -Float conversion
Wheels: WTB laser disk Trail wheelset, 28 holes -wheels are always a great place for weight savings, and Hope Pro IIs are brilliant hubs, but I don't know much about the WTBs
Brakes:hayes stroker trails. 8 in -smaller rotors, 8"+7" is what I have on my Fr/Dh bike, 7"+7" is what I run on my AM bike... no smaller than 7" up front, and down as far as 6" on the rear if it works for you
Shifters: x9
Der: x9 med cage
Cranks: Shimano XT
chain guide: gamut p30, 36T single ring
Pedals: time z
Saddle: WTB silverado
Bar: monkey lite DH -do you really need/want DH bars? I'm sure those aren't bad, but you could find something lighter that is aimed at more AM/Trail riding
Grips: wtb moto
stem: thompson 45mmx1.5 x4
2.3 wtb weirwolf race and wtb standard tubes - ultra-light tubes, or tubeless (stan's or ghetto) but it may only save you a minimal amount

weight is spot o 33. how do i lighten it!?!?
There are the first things that come to my half-asleep brain... Hope you have good luck with this weight-loss program for your bike, but it sounds like it is already a great weight and is probably very solid and reliable. :)

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I have a large ano Nomad. It weighs 32 pounds when running an air shock...Manitou ISX-6. I have a Mavic CrossMax XL rear wheel and a Stan's ZTR355 front/650B setup. On your tires, many around here run that Weirwolf in both a 2.5 and 2.3 in tubeless setup. I run a Nixon 160 Elite air/coil 20mm axle fork that saves nearly a half pound over your converted 36. On the chainguide, do you feel you really need a full-on chainguide system? Yes, mine would drop the chain without some help, but I found that a simple drop plate clamped behind the BB cup solved this issue and save a good deal of weight over a full guide. I still run an e13 bashguard with 2 rings. I run an 8" front rotor and 6" rear rotor, so no gain/loss there. The rest of your components look pretty good with the capability of losing a few grams here and there at a very high expense...not worth it IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
realistically, how light would satisfy you?

Tires are often heavier than people realize, have you considered another tread? Standard tubes weigh about 200g each, you can loose 70-80g per tube going to thinner rubber, with no real downside. 140-160g isn't a lot of weight, but it would only cost <$15. Converting to tubeless could save more.

That chain guide is pretty heavy if it isn't needed. With a single ring you could use a short cage derailleur, which seems like it helps with chain retention. There are lighter pedals too - if you were ok with loosing the platform.

but, back to my original point: you aren't going to loose more than a pound or maybe 2 without spending a hell of a lot of money - to the point you might think about a lighter frame.

·
WTF
292 Posts
I switched from a coil over shock to a air shock on my 6" bike and I saved 1.5lbs:eek: , that steel coil weighs a ton. wheelset, i recommend hope pro 2's with mavic 819's or dt swiss 5.1, and spokes, if you ride hard go with straight spokes but if you are easy on stuff go with double butted, weight can also be lost with the chain retention system, a jumpstop and bashguard with a short cage derailluer has been more than enough to retain my chain. other than that and not dropping huge amount of dough, it wont go much lighter. If you want a light bike, get a xc bike, and keep your heckler beefy, abuse the heckler, speed on the xc. My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Float 36 forks , XTR cranks mechs shifters cassette and chain, Mavic ST wheels tubless tyres, easton monkey lite xc bars, 7" discs, cost will be mega,:eek: , should save a couple of pounds :D

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
33 ilbs doesn't sound too bad at all! Finally went with a frame that actually fits you eh?

How about something simple like

Seat
tires/tubes
seatpost (carbon?)

But whats the point in having a lightweight Nomad? Why not get a long travel XC bike like a blue LT, 5 spot, Mojo etc....

·
grade A procrastinator
142 Posts
Yody said:
But whats the point in having a lightweight Nomad? Why not get a long travel XC bike like a blue LT, 5 spot, Mojo etc....
That's the conclusion I came to when I was thinking of lightening my old Reign. No point in having it if I'm going keep putting lighter and lighter parts on. So I went with a Pyre and lost 3 lbs, with a few other upgrades of course.

·
Banned
197 Posts
Hope Pro ll hubs Dt Swiss 5.1's with supercomp spokes and alloy nips 1850 grams. I've been running a set on my Nomad for a year and they've taken some serious abuse. Haven't had to touch em. Took this pic before converting front to 20mm(takes about 5 mins)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
ronoranina said:
That's the conclusion I came to when I was thinking of lightening my old Reign. No point in having it if I'm going keep putting lighter and lighter parts on. So I went with a Pyre and lost 3 lbs, with a few other upgrades of course.
Dito, I did the same with my Heckler 28lb, didn't feel like a Heckler any more, back to 34lb feels like it should :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
I dont see why you want to touch a nomad....
The parts spec is well rounded and its an excellent bike, Man up and go ride it.
More energy would be taken out by the pedal bob.

Maybe a select few upgrades like a new wheelset or a lighter suspension setup. but youre beginning to count the grams here.........

·
Registered
818 Posts
09' Nomad

You can go with a fork with a stepped steer tube. 1.5 - 1.125. and use a zero stack top headset. That should be lighter than that king headset. You can also find stems that weigh less than 3/4 lb.

You can find some wide flat aluminum bars these days, those will save weight over a DH riser bar.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I think he has the monkeylites which are carbon.

BTW I think he's a fairly decent rider so its not a matter of him not being able to ride it but rather just trying to get the setup dialed in.

Personally I think a 33ilb nomad is already pretty light

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Scott, your bike is decked. The most you'll save w/o spending an exorbitant amount of money is about a pound and a half.

Don't be a fairy.

Just ride it.

p.s. Merry Christmas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts