Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is my parts list. My bike is just under 26lbs right now. Here is my current list of changes to come: 1) convert to Stans, 2) replace WTB tires with Conti Explorer 2.1, 3) replace X9 triggers with X0 grips, 4) ti bolt tuning (suspension pivots, rotor bolts, caliper bolts). I believe my changes to give me between 1lb to 1.25lbs in weight savings. Does that sound about right? Also, any other changes I might want to consider w/o getting too lightweight? Thanks.

Part Name
Frame RacerX100 Small
Crank w/ BB Dues 175mm
Wheelset Custom
hubs WTB laserdisc lite
spokes Wheelsmith DB14
rims Sun DS1-XC
Fork F100X
Shifters X9
F derailler XTR
R derailler X9
Headset Chris King
Cassette SRAM 990
Chain PC990 Hollow
Stem Richey WCS
Handlebar EC90
Brakes Hope Mono Mini
Saddle WTB RocketV Ti
Seatpost Thompson 287mm
Pedals Candy Ti
Skewer Salsa SS Flip
Tires WTB weirwolf 2.1
Tubes generic
Grip Oury Lockon
Misc Generic Cab/Hous

·
bikerpilot
561 Posts
There's only a few things I see that you didn't already mention.
Cassette: I think you can save some over the SRAM by going to an XT or XTR cassette, or a lot with a road cassette if you don't mind the gearing changing.
Grips: Foamies, lock ons are much heavier
Saddle: WTBs are kinda heavy, there's some weight to be saved there.
Pedals: go ti eggbeaters, they're lighter than the candy
Chainrings: I don't know what came on the deus, but you might could save some with titanium rings
Fork: It's not terribly light, but I don't think I'd mess with it; that's a lot of money, and I really like my fox.
RD: maybe go ahead and get the X.0 to match the shifters

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Andrew-FSR said:
Cassette: I think you can save some over the SRAM by going to an XT or XTR cassette, or a lot with a road cassette if you don't mind the gearing changing.
Chainrings: I don't know what came on the deus, but you might could save some with titanium rings
The 990 weighs about 300 grams. The XTR one weighs about 240 grams. That's a little more than two ounces. XT weighs about 260 oz. That's a little more than one ounce. In the grander scheme of things that's not very much. I am speaking of cogsets that are 11-32 for the Shimano ones and 11-34 for the 990.
If you go with an Ultegra 12-27 you will save about three ounces over a SRAM 990. The DA version weighs about an ounce less than that. So, you lose about 4 ounces with the Dura-Ace 12-27.

1 cubic centimeter of titanium weighs about twice as much as 1 cubic centimeter of aluminum. You can use less titanium to make a part that is about as strong as an equivalent part in aluminum but you will not use half as much material so you will end up with more weight in the end.

·
bikerpilot
561 Posts
PCC said:
The 990 weighs about 300 grams. The XTR one weighs about 240 grams. That's a little more than two ounces. XT weighs about 260 oz. That's a little more than one ounce. In the grander scheme of things that's not very much. I am speaking of cogsets that are 11-32 for the Shimano ones and 11-34 for the 990.
If you go with an Ultegra 12-27 you will save about three ounces over a SRAM 990. The DA version weighs about an ounce less than that. So, you lose about 4 ounces with the Dura-Ace 12-27.

1 cubic centimeter of titanium weighs about twice as much as 1 cubic centimeter of aluminum. You can use less titanium to make a part that is about as strong as an equivalent part in aluminum but you will not use half as much material so you will end up with more weight in the end.
So would he save some weight with a new cassette or not? 60 grams with the XTR(that's an eighth of a pound): I think so. Or 4 ounces with the DA, that's a quarter pound), which would put his total savings to almost two pounds, and in the "grander scheme of things", that's a nice savings. And the cassette is rotational weight, albeit centered very close to the axle, so that makes it more important. And when I mentioned the chainrings, I said "I DON'T KNOW what comes on the Deus, but you MIGHT could save some with Ti." Just saying it was worth looking into. So thanks for nothing.....

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Theres plenty of places to save weight, but what stands out as a cheap upgrade are the grips. I used to swear by my Oury lokc-ons for comfort, and then i tried Ritchey Foam grips, i never went back. The Ritchey's are much more comfortable, nearly as much grip, longer lasting (thats what i have found), don't slip if installed correctly (you may need to try some sort of adhehsive). And you will save more then 100grams for $10!

It's worth a try at the very least:)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Andrew-FSR said:
So would he save some weight with a new cassette or not? 60 grams with the XTR(that's an eighth of a pound): I think so. Or 4 ounces with the DA, that's a quarter pound), which would put his total savings to almost two pounds, and in the "grander scheme of things", that's a nice savings. And the cassette is rotational weight, albeit centered very close to the axle, so that makes it more important. And when I mentioned the chainrings, I said "I DON'T KNOW what comes on the Deus, but you MIGHT could save some with Ti." Just saying it was worth looking into. So thanks for nothing.....
My point is that, for the money, you're not saving much weight. If his original cassette was a SRAM 950 then anything would be an upgrade and the weight savings would be significant enough to warrant. 2 ounces is about the difference between wearing an undershirt or not.

The point about titanium is that people have the misconception that titanium is lighter. Yes, it is lighter than steel but it is not lighter than aluminum. Each metal has properties that make them good or bad for bicycle components. Some components are better made in aluminum than titanium (chainrings are one of them, in my opinion). Some components are better made in titanium (the larger cassette cogs, for example).

·
Registered
5 Posts
You guys crack me up. Dropping 1-2 pounds is rarely noticeable. Never mind grams.

For instance, I've got a hardtail that I converted for road use just two weeks ago.

4.6 lb Suspension Fork --> 1.9 lb Chromoly Fork = -2.7 lbs COST = $40
2.8 lb Knobby Tires (pair) --> 1.57 lb Slicks (pair) = -1.23 lbs COST = $18
0.92 lb Knobby Tubes --> 0.58 lb 1.25" tubes (pair) = -0.34 lbs COST = $10

TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS = 4.27 lbs
TOTAL COST = $68

I gotta say that dropping 2.7 pounds by using a rigid fork had very little effect on my speed when I was sitting in the saddle. It helps a little when you are pounding up short hills b/c of the rigidity, but even that is pretty small. Putting on the slick tires (100 PSI) was definitely noticeable, but probably b/c of rolling resistance more than weight.

If you can drop weight cheaply, go for it! If it's gonna cost you a bundle for a few grams, well, make sure you are doing it for the right reasons. If it's to trick out your bike b/c you get great satifaction out of tinkering with your pride-and-joy, hey go for the grams. If it's for performance, then it's not worth the trouble.

Good Luck. Sounds like a nice ride already! Post a pic!

notenoughtime said:
Below is my parts list.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Racer X owner...

Howdy, I also ride a Racer-X, one of not too many in Australia- but thats beside the point. Having my RX down to 23.8lbs and hopefully down to 23lbs by the end of the Aussie summer makes me botice a ffew things that you could save weight on. Not all are really practical, most reasonably cheap, but toehrs more expencive...

Anyways things that stand out as easy pickings are.

Crank w/ BB Dues 175mm: Check out this thread Click HERE! , just quiet recently was up on the board- looks for my thread, has abit of info on weight savings. you can quiet easily save 40g+ on these cranks, or even get them to 785g if you want... (Stock weight 830g+).

Fork F100X: Do you like the lockout / terralogic? If not the weight can be taken out of these forks, by taking out the terralogic... OR buying new forks, Private message or email me if your up for selling them :) You'll save about 100g+ if what I read on WW's is correct. Personally I prefer a fully active fork.

Shifters X9: An X.0 Grip Shift and X.0 rear derailleur is a great combo adn will save a fair bit of weight- nothing great, but it also improves the shifting preformance in my opinion - I run full X.0 on my bike and it is sweet - grip shifters are for every one though. Save maybe 80g?

R derailler X9: As above...

Headset Chris King: You'd be stupid to change this :rolleyes:

Cassette SRAM 990: If you are running the 11/32 it weights around 270g - swapping to XTR will save you about 30g Dura-Ace will save 90g, but isn't practical for every day use in my opinion; for racing yes. I quiet like my SRAM PG990, comming off a Dura-Ace 12/27 I find that although I am a fan of close gears- the 11/32 pedals better on the Racer X. Save 30g to 90g?

Stem Richey WCS: Syntace F99, weighs 100g and is said to be as strong as the rest. Save 25g to 40g

Seatpost Thompson 287mm: Much lighter options about- whether you trust them or not is upto you. weight can be saved machine the seat clamp, I saved about 20g by machining some material off.

Pedals Candy Ti: Twin Ti EggBeaters will save you some weight if you can handle no platforms. I love my Twin Ti Eggies. you save maybe 80g?

Tires WTB weirwolf 2.1: Loads of much lighter, and much better tyres out there- I'd change these for some Kenda DTC's, Schwalbe, Conti,s or verious others all have better roling resistance and are alot lighter. Save maybe 50g to 100g+ per wheel

Tubes generic: Eclipse Tubeless- not so much saves weight although it does provide more grip, and flat resistance due to lower tyre presures. Will save you abit of weight also.

Grip Oury Lockon: Foam - foam grips are the way to go in my opinion- they weigh about 20g, and are comfortable; I hang on to mine for upto 12hrs at a time... I should know. :) Saves 40g to 80g

I hope that helps- as I said not everything is practical, and somethings are a compromise you might not want to make- which is fair enough. I love the way my bike is at the moment- All I have got to change is the wheelset, stem, chainrings and forks and I will be sitting on about 23.1lbs for a well rideable Endurance Race / trail bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.