Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to have a vacation on my calendar to have something look forward to.

I need help figuring out if there is anywhere to make a mountain biking trip out of in July....I know it is hot, so Moab is probably too hot that time of year. Is there anywhere that I could drive to from Southern California that you could recommend? I will be by myself so I have no problem driving but am just afraid that there is nowhere that will be a good idea in the month of July.....and that is the only time I can take off from work for an extended period.

Thanks in advance,
FoShizzle
 

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
FoShizzle said:
I need to have a vacation on my calendar to have something look forward to.

I need help figuring out if there is anywhere to make a mountain biking trip out of in July....I know it is hot, so Moab is probably hot. Is there anywhere that I could drive to from Southern California that you could recommend? I will be by myself so I have no problem driving but am just afraid there is nowhere that will be a good idea in July.....and that is the only place I can take off for any amount of time.

Thanks in advance,
FoShizzle
What's wrong with Lake Tahoe?

SV
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SVSocrates said:
What's wrong with Lake Tahoe?

SV
good point....i have actually never been up there.

literally since I posted this thread, my ugradeitis disease that I am infected with, morphed itself into a version of the disease now impacting my travel decisions in the same way it impacts my bike purchase decisions........i am actually all of a sudden thinking about booking a Tour de France package in mid July when they hit the Alps. It is not free, that is for sure, but it would be pretty cool no doubt. Lodging is taken care of (at a cost of course) and there are some where you take off a few hours before the race so you can ride much/most of the course and watch them finish then coast down to your next hotel for the night....hmmmmmm
 

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
FoShizzle said:
good point....i have actually never been up there.

literally since I posted this thread, my ugradeitis disease that I am infected with, morphed itself into a version of the disease now impacting my travel decisions in the same way it impacts my bike purchase decisions........i am actually all of a sudden thinking about booking a Tour de France package in mid July when they hit the Alps. It is not free, that is for sure, but it would be pretty cool no doubt. Lodging is taken care of (at a cost of course) and there are some where you take off a few hours before the race so you can ride much/most of the course and watch them finish then coast down to your next hotel for the night....hmmmmmm
If you do Lake Tahoe, you'll only be two hours from Rancho Cordova. You'll be able to whet your appetite with a tour of "The Holy Land" and get in some great rding as well. Just a thought...
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SVSocrates said:
If you do Lake Tahoe, you'll only be two hours from Rancho Cordova. You'll be able to whet your appetite with a tour of "The Holy Land" and get in some great rding as well. Just a thought...
good point....I could make a visit to the mountain biking "Pope Benedict"

is Tahoe better than Mammoth? Mammoth is actually a closer drive though a longer drive is not going to be a deciding factor.

Is Tahoe a place where I could go by myself and easily navigate my way around or will I be stopping every turn to try to figure out if I am going the correct way or not.......

Would it be X-5 type of riding or could I bring my single speed as well as the X-5 to hit some good XC riding?

Sorry for all the questions but with Larry building my new single speed and the prospect of a new vacation, I am starting to see a reason to go on living.....

cheers
 

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
FoShizzle said:
good point....I could make a visit to the mountain biking "Pope Benedict"

is Tahoe better than Mammoth? Mammoth is actually a closer drive though a longer drive is not going to be a deciding factor.

Is Tahoe a place where I could go by myself and easily navigate my way around or will I be stopping every turn to try to figure out if I am going the correct way or not.......

Would it be X-5 type of riding or could I bring my single speed as well as the X-5 to hit some good XC riding?

Sorry for all the questions but with Larry building my new single speed and the prospect of a new vacation, I am starting to see a reason to go on living.....

cheers
Those are good questions. Best way to get 'em answered is to post on the Nor-Cal forum. I've not ridden there yet, but I've heard good things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,815 Posts
Tahoe/Downeville

If ya do Tahoe ya gotta do Downevill, 2 hrs north and a good weeks worth of riding w no repeats, and unless you're a total shuttle monkey yes Tohoe is better especially if you lump it with Downeville IMOH. The X5 would be a great choice; some huge climbs and some huge decents. If you go up 395 ride lower rock creek on the way up, a great trail as an up and back from paradise camp. You could spend the rest of that day at Mammoth while youre at it. I'll be doing that trip in June myself.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
uktrailmonster said:
Whoaaaaaa right there! Yet another new club for the bag?
yes Sir, I have been bitten by the single speed bug an LOVE IT!! I bought a cheap one off ebay to test it out and fell in love with it and now understand what that "cult" is all about. And in ridiculous FoShizzle overzealous style, I ordered a new one through Larry so I will soon have a blinglespeed (sold my Rocky Mountain to fund it). Specs below.....

frame = Large Phil Wood SS w/ EBB
cranks = 180mm ENO w/ Silver ring
bb = Phil Wood
fork = Fox F80X (bossless if possible)
hubs = Phil Wood Disc (Blue) with quick release
rims = DT Swiss XR4.1d w/ DT Swiss tubeless conversion
freewheel = ENO
chain = Wipperman 152
seatpost = Thomson (Silver)
stem = Thomson (Silver) 110mm x 5 degree
bars = Azonic Double Wall Riser w/ 2" rise (Polished version) cut down to 27"
Brakes = Hope M2
saddle = WTB Laser V Stealth
headset = King (BLUE)
seatpost clamp = Hope (Silver)
skewers = Hope (Silver)
tires = 2.25 Big Jim UST front / 2.1 Jim UST rear
grips = ODI-lock Rogue w/ Blue clamps
Hope brake hose guide (Silver) - if cant get a bossless F80X
Hope bore caps for brakes (Silver)
Dangerboy Hope brake levers in Blue
Dangerboy Blue bar end lock clamps
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
slowrider said:
If ya do Tahoe ya gotta do Downevill, 2 hrs north and a good weeks worth of riding w no repeats, and unless you're a total shuttle monkey yes Tohoe is better especially if you lump it with Downeville IMOH. The X5 would be a great choice; some huge climbs and some huge decents. If you go up 395 ride lower rock creek on the way up, a great trail as an up and back from paradise camp. You could spend the rest of that day at Mammoth while youre at it. I'll be doing that trip in June myself.
wow...thanks. i will need to research that for sure.

so are you suggesting to spend a few days at both? that sounds great. i have no idea where to stay but am sure i will figure it out.

cheers
 

·
Basura Blanca
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
How far are you willing to drive? Crested Butte would be perfect. I spent a month there last summer, and would jump at the chance to do it again if I had more vacation. Plenty of trails, all easy to navigate. A bit closer would SW Utah, esp. the higher elevation stuff around Brian Head. Never been, but it's on my list.
- Joe
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
It's a lot further than Tahoe but consider the Rockies which start to peak in mid-July.
where exactly would you recommend in CO? I am actually going to CO in August with one of my daughters to visit my sister. I will probably leave Haley (daughter) at my sisters and head off in CO by myself for a few days......maybe visit the bat-cave of bikes (ie, mtnhighcyclery) and hit somewhere that you might recommend.

I think for my July trip I will be hitting NorCal as others have suggested and this way, will hit a couple of new places this summer.

cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
FoShizzle said:
yes Sir, I have been bitten by the single speed bug an LOVE IT!! I bought a cheap one off ebay to test it out and fell in love with it and now understand what that "cult" is all about. And in ridiculous FoShizzle overzealous style, I ordered a new one through Larry so I will soon have a blinglespeed (sold my Rocky Mountain to fund it). Specs below.....

frame = Large Phil Wood SS w/ EBB
cranks = 180mm ENO w/ Silver ring
bb = Phil Wood
fork = Fox F80X (bossless if possible)
hubs = Phil Wood Disc (Blue) with quick release
rims = DT Swiss XR4.1d w/ DT Swiss tubeless conversion
freewheel = ENO
chain = Wipperman 152
seatpost = Thomson (Silver)
stem = Thomson (Silver) 110mm x 5 degree
bars = Azonic Double Wall Riser w/ 2" rise (Polished version) cut down to 27"
Brakes = Hope M2
saddle = WTB Laser V Stealth
headset = King (BLUE)
seatpost clamp = Hope (Silver)
skewers = Hope (Silver)
tires = 2.25 Big Jim UST front / 2.1 Jim UST rear
grips = ODI-lock Rogue w/ Blue clamps
Hope brake hose guide (Silver) - if cant get a bossless F80X
Hope bore caps for brakes (Silver)
Dangerboy Hope brake levers in Blue
Dangerboy Blue bar end lock clamps
Go rigid, you won't look back. Much fun. Ti bike TI forks are nice.
 

·
Bodhisattva
Joined
·
10,849 Posts
Anywhere in CO will be good that time of year.
I know Vail best since I lived & raced there for 3 years and now have a place up there & go regularly.
Crested Butte & Durango are legendary but I haven't YET ridden either.
Keystone, Winter Park, Steamboat & Aspen all have good terrain as well.

Where I live on the front range can be very hot that time of year and usually we'll drive 20-30 minutes up the canyon in August to beat the heat. The trail by MHC, Devil's Backbone, can be hotter than Hades in August.

Where is your sister? That might help pointing you in the right direction easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Fo,

My vote goes to Lake Tahoe and surrounding area. I hail from that area so I know it pretty well. Weather should be outstanding and maybe still some snow up in the mountain. You can always head over to Kirkwood or North Star ski/bike parks for some fun. Downieville gets me vote along with some rides down in Auburn and Forrest Hill. Depending where you plan to stay, Sherwood is about 1-2 hours drive away at most.

Good Luck!
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
movingmountain said:
Go rigid, you won't look back. Much fun. Ti bike TI forks are nice.
i hear yuh.....I made my Surly fully rigid (full-time now) and love it. However, my Phil Wood is replacing my Rocky Mountain Element so I really want a different setup for that one given the type of riding/rides I will be doing on it and especially given the guys I will be riding with.....they will not be slowing down for me at all on the downhills we will be traveling.

Cheers
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
verrocchio100 said:
Fo,

My vote goes to Lake Tahoe and surrounding area. I hail from that area so I know it pretty well. Weather should be outstanding and maybe still some snow up in the mountain. You can always head over to Kirkwood or North Star ski/bike parks for some fun. Downieville gets me vote along with some rides down in Auburn and Forrest Hill. Depending where you plan to stay, Sherwood is about 1-2 hours drive away at most.

Good Luck!
that is great....I may be bugging you a bit more if you don't mind before I finalize my trip.

cheers
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Anywhere in CO will be good that time of year.
I know Vail best since I lived & raced there for 3 years and now have a place up there & go regularly.
Crested Butte & Durango are legendary but I haven't YET ridden either.
Keystone, Winter Park, Steamboat & Aspen all have good terrain as well.

Where I live on the front range can be very hot that time of year and usually we'll drive 20-30 minutes up the canyon in August to beat the heat. The trail by MHC, Devil's Backbone, can be hotter than Hades in August.

Where is your sister? That might help pointing you in the right direction easier.
My sister lives in Highlands Ranch so I assume I will be making quite a drive regardless of where I go. I am happy to do so and will probably book a room somewhere for a couple of days before heading back so distance is not a big deal.

By the way, should I just send you my address so you can mail me the key to your place in Vail :)

cheers
 

·
Bodhisattva
Joined
·
10,849 Posts
FoShizzle said:
My sister lives in Highlands Ranch so I assume I will be making quite a drive regardless of where I go. I am happy to do so and will probably book a room somewhere for a couple of days before heading back so distance is not a big deal.

By the way, should I just send you my address so you can mail me the key to your place in Vail :)

cheers
There's lots of good stuff within 60-90 minutes of Highlands Ranch down in Colo Springs, Evergreen, Morrison, Golden, Longmont, Loveland & Fort Collins. The big peaks will require a bit more driving, but not much. If things work out I might be able to meet you up in Vail.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top