Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you recognize this bike? Which model is it? Owner claims its a 2012 and he bought it new in fall 2011, he wants $550 for it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind, I think I figured it out, its a 2012 Marlin. $550 seems high, what might be a more reasonable price?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Definitely a 2012 Marlin. I have the same bike. I paid 620 for it new in July of '12 so 550 is way too high. It looks completely stock except for the grips. I probably wouldn't pay more then 400 for it but you have to see what kind of use it has. From that one picture it doesn't appear to have much which is why he's trying to recoup.

I will say that imo that bike is better off then what you will find in a Current Trek Xcal line up to like 700 bucks or so.

What are you going to do with it? What is your budget? Also is it your size?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am looking for something for my wife. Its a 19" and she is about 5' 9" so I think it probably fits her. She mainly wants to be able to ride on gravel roads so this is plenty of bike for her, even a hybrid would be fine. My budget is as little as I can get it but I am not finding much on craigstlist so this bike is attractive if I can get it for $300-$350. If I cant find something used I will probably go for a Hardrock or something similar.

I am even considering this clearance Fuji Nevada: Fuji Nevada 29 2.1 29er Mountain Bike - 2013 - 29er Mountain Bikes

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Just cruising around on gravel that fuji is probably fine. Personally my guess is that 19 might be big for her but I'm certainly no bike fitting expert.

I'm 5'8 and I ended up buying a 15.5. The 17 I had no stand over clearance. On a 26er a 17 or 17.5 feels good. If it fits her the Marlin is definitely a good bike for what she would do on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. Maybe 19" is too big...

I also found this old Trek zx 7000. Its 18" with a stand over height of 30", I guess I should measure her inseam. Since its 20 years old I think I am a buyer at $75 (assuming its not to big) but the guy wants $265.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Some people are crazy with their pricing. They spent a decent amount and kept the bike well maintained but no matter the condition or original quality of components a 25 eyar old bike is still 25 years old.

Personally i would have her hope on a few bikes to get an idea. if it doesn't fit her well she isn't going to want to ride it

·
RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT
122 Posts
I bought my wife a trek skye and she loves it and they are very easy to pick up used she is 5.6 and rides a 16in even though ur wife is taller i wouldnt go more than a 17in because girls tend to have longer legs and shorter torsos a larger frame mught feel ok on hight clearance her lower back will start to hurt because of the reach to the bars

1 - 8 of 8 Posts