Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having a sharp pain in my left knee during the top half of downstrokes (if you picture the crank on a clock, this would be between 11 and 8 o'clock). The pain feels like it is coming from inside my knee, just slighly below and to the outside side of my knee cap. The pain doesn't feel like it is directly on the left (outer side) of my left knee by the tendon (is that the IT band?). It feels more like it is on, behind, or to the left of the patellar tendon (that connects to the knee cap). I can only get this sharp pain when I am placing moderate to considerable force on the downstroke while in the saddle. I can sprint and climb out of the saddle just fine.

I first noticed the pain after riding my road bike for the first time last week in about two months. Since then I've had the same pain on my new mountain bike (I've been training on for the last 4-6 weeks exclusively for an upcoming road trip to colorado). When on the road bike ride, I had to drop my saddle about 1/2 of an inch to reduce the pain in my left leg, but my saddle couldn't have been too high because its been in a fixed position for over a year and I've never had the problem before (I even did a double + training on it).

I'm at a loss right now as to what the problem is. I'm going to try staying off the bike for a little while and perhaps let my leg heal, but I've also been reading that stetching and some at-home physical therapy might help too. Of course, it helps if I have some more info to go off of.

FYI the seat height on my road bike before adjustment is only 1" higher from the pedal to the top of the seat. Would perhaps training hard on my mtb with a lower seat and slightly longer top tube (another 1") cause my knee to get out of whack? Does this sound like an ACL/PCL injury? Are there any at-home tests you can do to check?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem when I got back on my fixed gear.

I discovered that the problem was that my cleat had rotated by a degree or two pushing my heal outward slightly. To the naked eye, I couldn't see the difference, but upon making the adjustment, the pain disappeared.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I inspected my cleats and they are still aligned straight. I have a lot of float on my Time pedals on the mtb and the shimanos on my road bike so I don't think its an issue.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW after some searching I am going to start taking glucosamine and MSM. If anyone else has any ideas I'd appreciate it thanks.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Pes ansuri. Its the attachment point for three thin muscles of the thigh. Stretch the groin, it's the thinnest and weakest muscle. Its the one that usually causes the pain at that point. A butterfly stretch works well.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Not Quite

mlepito said:
Pes ansuri. Its the attachment point for three thin muscles of the thigh. Stretch the groin, it's the thinnest and weakest muscle. Its the one that usually causes the pain at that point. A butterfly stretch works well.
I think that he is describing his pain on the lateral side of his Left Knee. The Pes Anserine is on the medial side of the Tibia.

·
Registered
81 Posts
mlepito said:
I thought he said it was on the inside of his knee.
not sure... it was a hard post to decipher.

The pain feels like it is coming from inside my knee, just slighly below and to the outside side of my knee cap
i'm gussing the medial side of the knee and it follows around the bottom of the patella on the lateral side?

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
Perhaps you did something to damage your lateral meniscus?

I've recently torn my ACL and shredded 25% of my lateral meniscus. I rode my bike for about a year like that; a month ago I had surgery. The meniscus pain was a sort of jabbing inside the knee, while the ACL didn't hurt at all; that is until my knee would buckle on occassion and then I would sprain my MCL due to not having an ACL.

With the torn meniscus, I too found that it hurt less riding my singlespeed as I was always out of the saddle.

A bad ACL has a very distinct feeling. When the knee comes apart it definitely feels like something weird is going on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Possibly chondromalacia. I've had it for the past 3 years (un/misdiagnosed!), and it sounds similar to what you describe. In addition, there would be a sensation not unlike sand being ground in my knee when under stress. With some physical therapy over 3 months, I have been recovering well.

What helped me:
Glucosamine chondroitin
icing
Physical therapy (get a good PT!)
Rest (what a bummer)

Exercises:
lunges
leg lifts
squats
IT band stretches

I take Ibuprofen to reduce chances of possible inflammation (sparingly, I like my stomach).

Hope this post helps you out.

·
Registered
974 Posts
What is going on in here? There is a lot of flip flopping. Is the pain on the inside (medial) of the knee or the outside (lateral) of the knee. Is it deep inside the knee? Is it behind the knee cap?

If the pain is deep inside the joint it may be meniscus.
If the pain is behind the knee cap it may be condromalacia but only if you get cepitis with squats.
If the pain is in the outside (lateral) slightly low it may be ITB (runner's knee).
If the pain is inside (medial) slightly low it may be pes ansuri.
If the pain is in the middle and below the knee cap (not under) it may be patellar tendonitis.

Which is it?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TheSamurai said:
how long have you actually had the pain? how long after riding your road bike did it show up? any other things that bother it?
It showed while riding my road bike actually. After mile 3 of my normal 21 mile ride, I had to turn around!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mlepito said:
What is going on in here? There is a lot of flip flopping. Is the pain on the inside (medial) of the knee or the outside (lateral) of the knee. Is it deep inside the knee? Is it behind the knee cap?

If the pain is deep inside the joint it may be meniscus.
If the pain is behind the knee cap it may be condromalacia but only if you get cepitis with squats.
If the pain is in the outside (lateral) slightly low it may be ITB (runner's knee).
If the pain is inside (medial) slightly low it may be pes ansuri.
If the pain is in the middle and below the knee cap (not under) it may be patellar tendonitis.

Which is it?
Its very difficult to say, its not ITB, that is for sure. The pain feels like it is inside my knee, behind my knee cap, and slightly to the left of the center of the knee, but not on the left (outside) like an ITB injury.

I have been off my bike for the last week. I have been stretching off and on, taking Glucosamine, and staying away from high-impact sports. I am going to go riding tomorrow (Saturday) and I will report back if I get this pain again and try to give a better description of the location of the pain.

Are there any tests you can do while on the bike to knock out possible causes? If I go see a doc about this, I don't think he'll have any better of an idea unless they give me xrays or something (family practitioners are pretty clueless about this stuff, they will probably just say to stop riding).

Thanks for all the responses so far.

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
Your doc will bend your knee (while placing a lot of force on it, actually) and if your meniscus is bad you (and your doc) will feel it crunch. At least my orthopedic surgeon did that; at a certain spot it hurt bad and he asked, "Do you feel that?" I said "Hell yes!" :)

If you have Patellafemoral Syndrome (aka Condromalacia Patellae), like I do on my bad knee now, you will feel an ache after riding for a while, and it seems to be worse while standing up pedaling. This is generally caused by a quad muscle imbalance or something making the knee cap track wrong.

·
Registered
52 Posts
amtbr said:
Just an FYI, Glucosamine takes at least two months of taking it every day to see the effects according to my sports med doc (if there are any effects at all).
Got that right. With "if" being the operative word.

GC is not the wonder drug everyone thought it was back in the late 90's. Alot of GC is underdosed. Consumer Reports tested a lot of them out. And that's what they said. Only a few had the ingrediants that was stated on the label. CR also said that if it doesn't work by month two then it ain't ever gonna work. My orthopaedic doctor said the same thing.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=433280

·
Registered
896 Posts
Bcq

I take BCQ for my back, knees and shoulder pain. It is an herbel anti inflamitory. Do a google search on it. My accupuncturist who is also an MD told me to try it. It works wonders for my middle aged pain. I take 4 per day

David

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.