Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had this buddy for a couple years, and his wife is so so so anti-29er. She thinks 26ers are so much efficient...BWAH!!!. After many, many, many hours trying to convince her to buy her beloved soulmate a 29er for christmas, I'm about to throw in the towel. I don't want to, but I have little choice. I'm an engineer, but she is well, a rocket scientist without knowing it. She claims moment of inertia, throws out momentum capacity equations, and basically owns me in every conversation we have regarding 29ers

So, help me convince her that a 29er will not only let my buddy temporarily forget about his receeding hairline, but will also allow my buddy to keep up with me as I dance and prance like donner and blitzen ho ho ho'ing through-out 2010 on my 29er

Please leave comments for "the scrooge" on this thread!

Thanks in advance!
Prep.

· aka baycat
8,453 Posts
I thought the women in our lives were always right. At least that is what she told me!

Has she ridden one? A 29er single speed is fun not sure I dig it when it adds gears or suspension since I do not notice it versus my 26er

· Registered
5,996 Posts
It's a bike. Forget about moments of inertia, and momentum. If your buddy is happy riding the bike that he owns why are you so convinced that he needs a 29er? Bikes should be fun, not some eternal experiment in to the efficiency of blah, blah, blah. Unless your buddy is an elite racer, it should be on a bike that he enjoys riding. Does it really matter if he's plus or minus 1% or 2% of peak efficiency when he's trying to get fit and enjoy life?

· Spear & Magic Helmet
295 Posts
couple of Options:

Tell him/her to get 24" wheels. If 26" is "better" than 29" for these reasons, then 24" would be better still. Or 20". Or my boy's gonna outgrow his 18" Electra. I'll let them have it at a discount. ;)

Better yet, he should tell both of you to stay out of his bike business, test a bunch of 26" and 29", then ride what feels the best to him.

Otherwise he should start looking at a recumbent because if he can't grow a spine he certainly shouldn't attempt to sit upright on a mountain bike.

And, dude! Friendly advice: don't get between the man and his wife. I can only see this ending badly for you unless she genuinely has a very good sense of humor about all of this.

· Relentless forward motion
355 Posts
preparation_h said:
but will also allow my buddy to keep up with me as I dance and prance like donner and blitzen ho ho ho'ing through-out 2010 on my 29er
Prep.
The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go...

... only fitness will determine which who ho hos past who in Who-ville!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. I meant what I said, and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful, one hundred percent!

And will "she" succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!

From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!!!!! :thumbsup:

... Oh, no ghost from Xmas past or present can help you with her... maybe the ghost of Xmas future can share 2010 powertap data with her... but that may work out to her favor as well :madman:

· Registered
1,600 Posts
JohnGray said:
Tell him/her to get 24" wheels. If 26" is "better" than 29" for these reasons, then 24" would be better still. Or 20". Or my boy's gonna outgrow his 18" Electra. I'll let them have it at a discount. ;)

Better yet, he should tell both of you to stay out of his bike business, test a bunch of 26" and 29", then ride what feels the best to him.

Otherwise he should start looking at a recumbent because if he can't grow a spine he certainly shouldn't attempt to sit upright on a mountain bike.

And, dude! Friendly advice: don't get between the man and his wife. I can only see this ending badly for you unless she genuinely has a very good sense of humor about all of this.
If she is quick, she will just say, "ok then, I should just try 32" wheels."

· Relentless forward motion
355 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.