Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been Single for 4 years. 2 bikes- 1st, a C.U.S.S. sold it(mistake, but I needed the money(same thing with those naughty pictures but...), now a Redline Monocog with tire/headset/grip upgrades 32x16. 6'4" 210lbs. Bought some Truvativ StyloSS 180mm cranks last spring thinking this was the way to go. The extra 5 mm would give me a tad more leverage, and the cranks seem, at the time, to have reviewed fairly well. Spent about 5 months off the bike as a result of injury and excessive workload- now I'm back, trying to get in race shape for the spring. Recently looked in on the reviews on said crank again, and they seem a bit less than "cheery". These cranks are mint and have never been installed, so..........

My questions-

1. Who's got a good/bad thing to say on these cranks?

2. How 'bout the 180mm vs. the 175s? My inseam is 34' approx. if that helps.

3. If need be, any alternative cranks under, say, $220 that meet the criteria? I need stifffff cranks. I'll be upgrading to a Chameleon soon, and looking to minimalize the lateral play. Saw the ENOs- worth it?

I'm thinking good ol' square taper is the way, but not sure.

Oh, and 4. Who wants to buy some spankin' new Stylos if I find out what I think I'm going to find out?

BTW I am hard on the equipment.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
blottoSS said:
Been Single for 4 years. 2 bikes- 1st, a C.U.S.S. sold it(mistake, but I needed the money(same thing with those naughty pictures but...), now a Redline Monocog with tire/headset/grip upgrades 32x16. 6'4" 210lbs. Bought some Truvativ StyloSS 180mm cranks last spring thinking this was the way to go. The extra 5 mm would give me a tad more leverage, and the cranks seem, at the time, to have reviewed fairly well. Spent about 5 months off the bike as a result of injury and excessive workload- now I'm back, trying to get in race shape for the spring. Recently looked in on the reviews on said crank again, and they seem a bit less than "cheery". These cranks are mint and have never been installed, so..........

My questions-

1. Who's got a good/bad thing to say on these cranks?

2. How 'bout the 180mm vs. the 175s? My inseam is 34' approx. if that helps.

3. If need be, any alternative cranks under, say, $220 that meet the criteria? I need stifffff cranks. I'll be upgrading to a Chameleon soon, and looking to minimalize the lateral play. Saw the ENOs- worth it?

I'm thinking good ol' square taper is the way, but not sure.

Oh, and 4. Who wants to buy some spankin' new Stylos if I find out what I think I'm going to find out?

BTW I am hard on the equipment.

Thanks for any and all feedback!
I have had two pairs of these cranks, both on single speeds. One traditional BB and one integrated. They performed just fine. However, I replaced the last one with a Shimano LX because, after a ton of investigation, I determined that the crank spider was un-round to such an extent that it caused an unacceptable level of uneven chain tension. My chain tension evened out to an acceptable level with the LX cranks. IT WAS NOT THE CHAINRING.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Acceptable chainring discrepancy..........

Thanks for the info, dirdir- my redline inhouse brand cranks are noticeably less than round, but I was told by a mechanic that I would never find a completely round ring. Didn't mention the spider, though. In the popular opinion, though, how much outta round/chain sag/pull is acceptable? In terms of distance, I'm guessing mine sags/pulls on 1 revolution of the pedals at least .5 in. if not more.

JSD303, thanks for the Davinci info..... I'll check them out.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
blottoSS said:
Thanks for the info, dirdir- my redline inhouse brand cranks are noticeably less than round, but I was told by a mechanic that I would never find a completely round ring. Didn't mention the spider, though. In the popular opinion, though, how much outta round/chain sag/pull is acceptable? In terms of distance, I'm guessing mine sags/pulls on 1 revolution of the pedals at least .5 in. if not more.

JSD303, thanks for the Davinci info..... I'll check them out.
I really don't know what distance measurement would be unacceptable. While it is true that one can never find an absolutely round ring or crank, the Truvativ was significantly more out of round than other cranks. However, in all honesty, it was never really a performance issue.

I decided to find the source of the "larger than normal" uneven chain tension. It just begged me. I tried all sorts of things. New cog, new chainring, new chain, tap the chain and loosen the crank bolt method. After all this, I was just so damn angry, I got a new crankset, which finally resolved the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.